• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Ebola...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Probably doesn't help that the news stations are more interested in manufacturing panic than relaying facts.

That's what the media has always done. They're unelected, and can do what we want. We have the right to expect more from the people whose salaries we pay, though.

If Ebola was really an airborne disease in the same way that, say, influenza is it would have already killed about half the earth's population by now. The Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 wiped out 5% of the earth's population in the span of about 2-3 months and it was far less lethal than Ebola.

And it's no surprise that the two people infected by Thomas Duncan were both nurses; they're the ones most likely to be in close proximity to an Ebola patient when the disease is most communicable.

For the pandemic, keep in mind the first reported case in the US was in January 1918, the spike in deaths didn't start until September.

influenzadeathmonth.gif

Also, that spike happened because the virus mutated. Instead of dismissing the idea of the ebola virus mutating, your example of 1918 should only reinforce the urgency of containing ebola to minimize the chance it mutates.

Last edited:
Well, not only is it not airborne, but apparently it's something you can get over in a week like a case of food poisoning from the Hometown Buffet.

We went over the airborne factor (including the aforementioned linked study) in the other thread a few weeks ago.

The virus, when contract by pigs, becomes airborne; as it largely infects the pigs lungs. Whereas in primates, Ebola IIRC targets the liver; hence the difference in transmission vector.

I'm not saying it is or isn't airborne; however, there have been studies to test this in primates and all came back negative. There are different strains, and different animals can transmit the disease to humans differently. Apparently, it is almost a certainty that pigs can transmit Ebola to monkeys through the air; however the reverse or primate-primate airborne transmission has not been demonstrated in the lab.

As far as the virus mutating to be come airborne; again, I don't think that's likely after researching the topic a bit. Apparently the virus would need to change it's mode of operation within primates in order for that to happen and AFAIK that has never been demonstrated to happen in a short period of time (even with exceptionally large numbers of infections). Herpes is a perfect example of a disease that infections billions and has not changed it's transmission vector.

New York officials: Doctor has Ebola, 1st in city

NEW YORK (AP) — An emergency room doctor who recently returned to the city after treating Ebola patients in West Africa has tested positive for the virus, becoming the first case in the city and the fourth in the nation.

Mayor Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Thursday urged residents not to be alarmed by the doctor's Ebola diagnosis, even as they described him riding the subway, taking a cab and bowling. De Blasio said all city officials followed "clear and strong" protocols in their handling and treatment of him.

"We want to state at the outset that New Yorkers have no reason to be alarmed," de Blasio said. "New Yorkers who have not been exposed are not at all at risk...."

http://news.yahoo.com/doctor-visited-africa-tested-ebola-nyc-003404036.html

I'd agree that there is no reason to panic, but didn't they already announce that people who have been exposed should not ride public transportation?

Mayor Bill de Blasio and Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Thursday urged residents not to be alarmed by the doctor's Ebola diagnosis, even as they described him riding the subway, taking a cab and bowling. De Blasio said all city officials followed "clear and strong" protocols in their handling and treatment of him.

Well then the protocols are effing garbage.

I just want to point out that if we published a national story every time someone in the US was diagnosed with the plague, it would almost keep pace with the US ebola "epidemic"

[I said:

Well then the protocols are effing garbage.
Did Ebola 300?

Can't believe we hadn't had a The Stand reference yet.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."