• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2014-2015 NBA Season Predictions Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rich

Saucin'
Reaction score
Time to fire this baby up. Throw out anything. MVP. ROY. Worst team. Whatever you feel like.

I'm gonna lead off with my playoff seeding predictions.

East
1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Atlanta
4. Toronto
5. Charlotte
6. Washington
7. Miami
8. Brooklyn

I mean really, after Cleveland this thing is wide open. You've got a host of teams that could either make the leap from last year, stay stagnant, or fall off in Charlotte, Toronto, and Washington. Out of the 3, Washington is the only one that got worse personnel wise with the loss of Ariza and bringing in Pierce as his replacement. Interesting to look at the top 8, though, and to find it very hard seeing anyone else in the conference getting in over one of those teams. Maybe New York can make it...but they haven't improved the roster from a year ago. Other than that, you can pretty much bank on the rest of the conference being left out. No real chance of a surprising team to sneak in.

West
1. Oklahoma City
2. San Antonio
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Golden State
5. Dallas
6. Portland
7. New Orleans
8. EDIT- Memphis

Good lord what a conference. Dallas was the 8th seed last season and they won 49 games. They've unquestionably improved the roster with the additions of Parsons and Chandler. I've got Memphis falling out (and being replaced by New Orleans) and they won 51 games. It is going to be a 50 win minimum to get into the playoffs in the West this year.

Haven't decided on the Finals match-up yet, although I think Cleveland are the clear favorites in the East. In the West I think teams 1-5 are real contenders and wouldn't be surprised to see any of them make it out. While I'm high on New Orleans and Anthony Davis, teams that get a first taste of the playoffs never make a deep run.

Last edited:
MVP: LeBron James

LeBron's been determined this offseason. Whatever the factor(s) -- whether it be a return home or the fact Durant was the MVP last season or a myriad of other reasons -- he's put in the time to drop weight and can't stop talking about how excited he is for the season to start on social media. The supporting cast is built perfectly around him from an offensive stand point and I think an improvement of about 25-30 wins for the Cavs will certainly help his cause. He has the opportunity to set a career high with assists this year. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him average double digit assists.

ROY: Jabari Parker

Milwaukee is going to use Jabari a lot and I think he has an impressive year. He is the most NBA ready rookie and will likely be the center of their offense.

Coach of the Year: Terry Stotts

I see Portland developing into one of the best team's in the West. Lillard and Aldridge is arguably the most underrated 1-2 punch in the NBA and their supporting cast is nothing to really scoff at. Stotts has already done a really good job there, but I this will be the year everyone takes notice.

Most Improved Player: Giannis Antetokounmpo

He's obviously going to play more of a role this year, but he's sort if a freak and could be a serious matchup problem from so many point guards in the NBA if he reaches his potential. I think he and Parker form a surprisingly competent 1-2 punch and the Bucks are much more competitive for it. I don't think they content for a playoff spot just yet, but Antetokounmpo has a lot of talent and I expect him to make a huge leap this season.

Sixth Man: Isaiah Thomas

With Dragic already locked in and Bledsoe likely back for at least one more season, Thomas will do all of his damage off the bench. Truly one of the most underrated players in the game and I expect him to light up second units across the league.

Defensive Player of the Year: Serge Ibaka

A lot of people are going to pick Noah here, but I give Ibaka the nod. Ibaka is one of the reasons I have OKC in the finals and while Noah is great defensively, he's going to be challenged much more than he has ever been challenged before with both LeBron and Kevin Love playing in the same division. Ibaka is one of the league's best rim protectors and he's going to be a monster in the paint this year.

East

1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Washington
4. Toronto
5. Charlotte
6. Atlanta
7. Brooklyn
8. Miami

The notion that Cleveland should expect to finish behind the Bulls is utter nonsense being declared by people who want to sound smart rather than look at everything logically. Yes, everyone knows the Cavs need time to mesh, but is that really any more of a concern than Derrick Rose and his disappearing act at the FIBA World Cup or the fact that he already had soreness in his knees? Or the fact that the Bulls only other reliable scoring threat is 34-year old Pau Gasol who, while still a very viable contributor, is clearly on the downside of his career. Sure, he looked strong in international play, but he always does. He'll be huge for the Bulls, no doubt, butafter he and Rose, it's a bunch of role players, especially on the offensive end of the floor. The Cavs are clearly the top team in the East.

I like Washington to take a step forward with the maturation of players like Wall and Beal. Losing Trevor Ariza and gaining Paul Pierce has it's positives and negatives. I call it a wash. Toronto, with Lowry, Jonas V, and DeRozan, could be a surprisingly strong team this season. Dwane Casey has done a fine job there and gets everything he can out of his players. Charlotte added Lance and return a young group of intriguing talent. Atlanta, Brooklyn, New York and Miami will battle for the bottom three with the Knicks being the team that doesn't make the cut.

West

1. Oklahoma City
2. San Antonio
3. Portland
4. L.A. Clippers
5. Golden State
6. Dallas
7. New Orleans
8. Houston

None of the Spurs five titles were part of a back-to-back and I honestly don't think that starts now. I will never count out Pop or that group, but I think a time comes where a team's run is coming to an end or at least hits a down stretch and that time is on the horizon for the Spurs. They're getting old and Kawhi can't win it all on his own. They will still be elite this year, but I have OKC as my top team this year in the West. Durant is hitting his prime and they are healthy. I think they win 60 games and finish with the NBA's second best record behind the Cavs.

Portland is a squad I'd watch out for. Stotts has those guys playing their asses off and they have a gem in Lillard at point. I think adding Kaman as a reserve is an underrated move and I really like their roster. Dallas had a pretty good offseason (they stole Parsons away from Houston and re-acquired Chandler) and should be a tough out in the west.I'm with Rich in the fact I think NO makes the playoffs this season. Davis will battle for DPOY but will ultimately lose out to Ibaka. As for Houston being eighth, I just don't like how they are contructed. They were the offseason's biggest losers (behind Miami, who are offseason losers for thinking they could lure Bron back with Granger and McBob, then ultimately losing Bron and overpaying for Chris Bosh), losing Asik, Lin and Parsons and failing to sign Bosh after putting all of their eggs in one basket. I think they tumble badly.

I have Memphis missing the playoffs because I just don't think they are that great. Strong defensively, but no longer strong enough to fend off the rest of the West.

Best Overall Record: Cleveland Cavaliers

But, But, But the west has better teams!!! Yes, this is true, but that's why the Cavs end the season with the best record. While still better than virtually every team in the NBA, the Cavs will also play a higher percentage of games against the East, thus making the 60 win mark a much less difficult task than it would be playing out west.

Worst Overall Record: Sacramento Kings

I follow this team very closely and I have no idea what their goal is. I am willing to bet they move Rudy Gay and his huge expiring contract at some point. It's going to be a bad season in Sacramento.

NBA Finals: Cleveland Vs. Oklahoma City

I think OKC knocks off the Spurs. It's not unprecedented, because, you know, the Spurs have been knocked out of the playoffs before. Several times. And I think the Thunder are good enough to take them down in a seven game series.

NBA Champion: Cleveland Cavaliers

Homer pick, but whatever. It's not unrealistic. LeBron won't lose to Durant in a seven game series, much like he won't lose to Rose in a seven game series. The Cavs offense will be the strongest group the Thunder will see all season and it will baffle their defense.

Last edited:
Worst record.
76ers.
The 76ers still seem to be in in full on tank mode and I don't think Noel's defensive skills can save them from being the worst.

East
1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Washington
4. Miami
5. Charlotte
6. Toronto
7. Brooklyn
8. New York

West
1. Oklahoma City
2. San Antonio
3. Golden State
4. LA Clippers
5. Portland
6. Dallas
7. Houston
8. New Orleans

MVP - LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers
ROY - Jabari Parker, Milwaukee Bucks
MIP - Lance Stephenson, Charlotte Hornets
6th Man - Jamal Crawford, LA Clippers

ECF - Cleveland over Washington (5 games)
WCF - Oklahoma City over Golden State (6 games)
Finals - Cleveland over Oklahoma City (5 games)

Charlotte over Toronto? Wow....

We're a week away from the Cavs first game and this is all we have? I'm interested in reading everyone's predictions.

East:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Chicago Bulls
3. Washington Wizards
4. Charlotte Hornets
5. Toronto Raptors
6. Atlanta Hawks
7. Miami Heat
8. Brooklyn Nets

West:
1. San Antonio Spurs
2. Los Angeles Clippers
3. Dallas Mavericks
4. Oklahoma City Thunder
5. Golden State Warriors
6. Portland Trail Blazers
7. Houston Rockets
8. Memphis Grizzlies

ECF prediction: Cavs over Wizards in 5
WCF: Clippers over Spurs in 7

Finals: Clippers over Cavs in 6

East:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Chicago Bulls
3. Washington Wizards
4. Charlotte Hornets
5. Toronto Raptors
6. Atlanta Hawks
7. Miami Heat
8. Brooklyn Nets

West:
1. San Antonio Spurs
2. Los Angeles Clippers
3. Dallas Mavericks
4. Oklahoma City Thunder
5. Golden State Warriors
6. Portland Trail Blazers
7. Houston Rockets
8. Memphis Grizzlies

ECF prediction: Cavs over Wizards in 5
WCF: Clippers over Spurs in 7

Finals: Clippers over Cavs in 6

Warriors are a top 3 team with a real coach and added depth. Also there's no way clippers beat warrior or spurs. Both have a big wing the can guard paul and griffin doesn't scare me. GS took the cry babies to 7 games missing Bogut who is very important.

East:
1. Cleveland
2. Washington
3. Atlanta
4. Toronto
5. Chicago
6. Charlotte
7. Indiana
8. Knicks

West:
1. Dallas
2. Golden State
3. San Antonio
4. Clippers
5. Portland
6. Oklahoma City
7. New Orleans
8. Houston

MVP: LeBron
COY: Blatt
ROY: Jabari
6th: Jamaal Crawford
MIP: Scott, Hawks

ECF: Cavs over Wiz
WCF: Spurs over GS
Finals: Spurs in 7

West:
1. San Antonio
2. LA Clippers
3. Dallas
4. Oklahoma City
5. Golden State
6. Memphis Grizzlies
7. Portland
8. New Orleans

East:
1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Charlotte
4. Washington
5. Toronto
6. Atlanta
7. Miami
8. New York

MVP: James
COY: Popovich
ROY: Wiggins
6th: Thomas
MIP: Bennett

ECF: Cleveland over Chicago in 6
WCF: San Antonio over Dallas in 7

Finals: San Antonio over Cleveland in 6

Got the top 4 out West as

Spurs
Clippers
OKC
Warriors

East

1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Washington
4. Charlotte
5. Toronto
6. Miami
7. Atlanta
8. New York

West

1. LA Clippers
2. San Antonio
3. Oklahoma City
4. Houston
5. Golden State
6. Portland
7. Memphis
8. Dallas

MVP - Lebron James
Coach Of The Year - Doc Rivers
Rookie Of The Year- Jabari Parker
Sixth Man Of The Year - Taj Gibson
Defensive Player Of The Year - Marc Gasol
Most Improved Player - Gorgui Dieng

ECF - Cavs Over Washington in 6
WCF - Clippers Over San Antonio in 7
FInals - Cavs Over Clippers in 6

http://youtu.be/o3sC6-f3q9E

Warriors will be top 2 in the west. Jackson was a joke of a coach and Kerr smart enough to get the best out of Barnes by starting him and have Iggy off the bench. There deep too
Livingston, barbosa, Iggy, and green.

Also clipper are grossly overrated GS, spurs, mavs, and blazers will be better and okc and Memphis will be able to take them out in the playoffs.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."