• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2014-2015 NBA Season Predictions Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Can someone explain why GS and Klay Thompson are far away in talks. Don't you give him whatever he wants hell get maxed in the summer anyway.

Can someone explain why GS and Klay Thompson are far away in talks. Don't you give him whatever he wants hell get maxed in the summer anyway.

Golden State is just being stupid. I would give Klay the max. Once the deadline draws closer, I am sure the Warriors will give in. This feels like the Bledsoe-Suns talks earlier.

Golden State is just being stupid. I would give Klay the max. Once the deadline draws closer, I am sure the Warriors will give in. This feels like the Bledsoe-Suns talks earlier.

That's what I'm saying Makes no sense they already showed there hand not trading him for love.

I don't think they're being stupid, Golden State isn't in a rush to overpay Klay Thompson. As of now they already have $68 million in committed money to ten players right now for next year, with four players over $11 million (Curry, Iggy, Lee, Bogut) alone. Even with a projected bump in the luxury tax ($81 million) a max contract for Thompson pushes them right over it.

Considering Thompson is a durable player at a shallow position in the NBA there's zero chance Golden State let's him walk, they're most likely just trying to sign him long-term for a small discount. Again, zero chance he's playing anywhere other than the Bay Area next year; he's already proven he can space the floor and cover for their franchise player defensively. If Gordon Hayward is a max player on the open market it's hard to ague Klay Thompson isn't, and Thompson is the better, younger player.

For the Warriors though- giving him a max (roughly $16 million) or a $13-14 million a year contract could be the difference in getting the full MLE in the coming years; a real tool for a California team that's a legitimate top-5 free agent destination. Holding off until restricted free agency, when the team still holds most the cards, makes sense and buys more time to coax out a discount.

Found this interesting:

Age-22 seasons, per 36 (FG/3FG/FT/TS)

Hayward: 17.4 points on 13.2 FGA (44/42/83/56), 3.6 assists, 3.8 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 1.0 blocks, 2.1 turnovers

Thompson: 16.7 points on 14.8 FGA (42/40/84/53), 2.2 assists, 3.8 rebounds, 1.1 steals, .6 blocks, 1.9 turnovers

Waiters: 19.3 points on 17.3 FGA (43/37/69/51), 3.6 assists, 3.4 rebounds, 1.1 steals, .3 blocks, 2.7 turnovers

Found this interesting:

Age-22 seasons, per 36 (FG/3FG/FT/TS)

Hayward: 17.4 points on 13.2 FGA (44/42/83/56), 3.6 assists, 3.8 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 1.0 blocks, 2.1 turnovers

Thompson: 16.7 points on 14.8 FGA (42/40/84/53), 2.2 assists, 3.8 rebounds, 1.1 steals, .6 blocks, 1.9 turnovers

Waiters: 19.3 points on 17.3 FGA (43/37/69/51), 3.6 assists, 3.4 rebounds, 1.1 steals, .3 blocks, 2.7 turnovers

This is why stats don't tell everything. Klay just commands respect by standing 30ft from the rim the way waiters/Hayward can't also his defense is on another level especially compared to those two.

I don't think they're being stupid, Golden State isn't in a rush to overpay Klay Thompson. As of now they already have $68 million in committed money to ten players right now for next year, with four players over $11 million (Curry, Iggy, Lee, Bogut) alone. Even with a projected bump in the luxury tax ($81 million) a max contract for Thompson pushes them right over it.

Considering Thompson is a durable player at a shallow position in the NBA there's zero chance Golden State let's him walk, they're most likely just trying to sign him long-term for a small discount. Again, zero chance he's playing anywhere other than the Bay Area next year; he's already proven he can space the floor and cover for their franchise player defensively. If Gordon Hayward is a max player on the open market it's hard to ague Klay Thompson isn't, and Thompson is the better, younger player.

For the Warriors though- giving him a max (roughly $16 million) or a $13-14 million a year contract could be the difference in getting the full MLE in the coming years; a real tool for a California team that's a legitimate top-5 free agent destination. Holding off until restricted free agency, when the team still holds most the cards, makes sense and buys more time to coax out a discount.

No way they get a discount he won't sign for 1 cent less than max and in free agency. he will be offered max by number of teams and will get matched.

This is why stats don't tell everything. Klay just commands respect by standing 30ft from the rim the way waiters/Hayward can't also his defense is on another level especially compared to those two.

I didn't say that, just that I found it interesting that Dion's numbers are close to what some max level contract players were at that age.

I did say Klay was the better player between himself and Hayward, based on his abilities as a shooter and defender. Hands down Klay Thompson is one of the best shooters in the league. He's also not as dangerous as an off the bounce creator as either Hayward or Dion, which isn't as big a weakness playing on the team with two great perimeter pick and roll threats (Curry, Iggy) and a post facilitator in David Lee.

No way they get a discount he won't sign for 1 cent less than max and in free agency. he will be offered max by number of teams and will get matched.

How do you know that? Even if the odds are slim it's in Golden State's best interests to try for that discount, which was the point of my entire post.

Another team maxing him out is actually cheaper than Golden State maxing him out, so they might just be willing to let another team negotiate a slightly cheaper deal for him.

West:
  1. Spurs
  2. Clippers
  3. Blazers
  4. Thunder
  5. Mavs
  6. Grizzlies
  7. Warriors
  8. Rockets

Spurs beat Rockets (4-1)
Clippers beat Warriors (4-1)
Blazers beat Grizzlies (4-0)
Mavs beat Thunder (4-3)

Spurs beat Mavs (4-3)
Clippers beat Blazers (4-3)

Spurs beat Clippers (4-2)

East:
  1. Cavs
  2. Bulls
  3. Hawks
  4. Wizards
  5. Hornets
  6. Raptors
  7. Heat
  8. Knicks

Cavs beat Knicks (4-0)
Bulls beat Heat (4-2)
Raptors beat Hawks (4-2)
Wizards beat Hornets (4-0)

Cavs beat Wizards (4-3)
Bulls beat Raptors(4-1)

Cavs beat Bulls (4-1)

Spurs beat Cavs (4-3)

Rest:
  1. Suns
  2. Nets
  3. Nuggets
  4. Pelicans
  5. Lakers
  6. TWolves
  7. Magic
  8. Kings
  9. Bucks
  10. Celtics
  11. 76ers
  12. Pacers
  13. Pistons
  14. Jazz

Just remember when looking at Klay's shooting numbers that he shot a whopping 6+ 3s a game last year.

Gonna edit my initial post to remove Houston from the playoffs and replace them with Memphis. The more I thought about it the more I started to dislike Houston. They are worse than they were a year ago and it's highly unlikely that Harden or Howard are going to make any sort of impactful improvements at this point.

Making predictions is a bit of a fool's errand, not least because injuries are unpredictable by nature. Last year, I was more motivated to make predictions because I thought the Vegas odds were badly out of line in a number of cases (especially the Knicks). This year I don't think they have anything egregiously wrong.

So with that said, in the East I like them in this order...

Cleveland. Projecting 59 wins
Chicago. About 5-6 games back. Rose is of course the big question mark here making this prediction so tough.
Toronto. A young team that should marginally improve. Depth should ensure the team doesn't underachieve. 50 wins.
Charlotte. Right behind Toronto, maybe 47-48 wins.
Atlanta. About the same as Charlotte.
Miami. 43-45 range, assuming Wade is able to up his minutes and games. If not, sub .500
Washington. Don't like them as much as many do. This is an oldish team other than the starting backcourt, so little internal growth potential. Already having injury issues, including one of their young players (Beal). Wing positions are extremely thin. Nene is in rapid decline. Don't trust Wittman to make right decisions. .500 team.
New York. More or less tied with Washington.
-----
Detroit. Under SVG, this team could surprise. Approaching 40 wins, could make playoffs.
Brooklyn. Aimed high last year; didn't work.
Milwaukee. Jabari as ROY.
Indiana. Maybe worst off-season ever. Could finish behind Boston if Rondo returns to form (and isn't traded).
Boston.
Orlando.
Philadelphia.
-----
Cleveland to win ECF against Chicago.
-----
Not going to go through all the West, but picking San Antonio to win. And then San Antonio over Cleveland in finals.

East
1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Charlotte
4. Toronto
5. Washington
6. Miami
7. Atlanta
8. Brooklyn

West
1. Los Angeles Clippers
2. San Antonio
3. Oklahoma City
4. Houston
5. Dallas
6. Golden State
7. Memphis
8. Phoenix

Eastern Conference Finals
Cleveland over Chicago in 6

Western Conference Finals
Los Angeles over Oklahoma City in 7

NBA Finals
Cleveland over Los Angeles in 6

Best record
Cleveland, 59-23

Worst record
Philadelphia, 15-67

MVP
LeBron James

ROY
Jabari Parker

DPOY
Joakim Noah

Most Improved
Lance Stephenson

Sixth Man
Isaiah Thomas

Coach of the Year
David Blatt

East
1. Cleveland
2. Chicago
3. Charlotte
4. Toronto
5. Washington
6. Miami
7. Atlanta
8. Brooklyn

West
1. Los Angeles Clippers
2. San Antonio
3. Oklahoma City
4. Houston
5. Dallas
6. Golden State
7. Memphis
8. Phoenix

Eastern Conference Finals
Cleveland over Chicago in 6

Western Conference Finals
Los Angeles over Oklahoma City in 7

NBA Finals
Cleveland over Los Angeles in 6

Best record
Cleveland, 59-23

Worst record
Philadelphia, 15-67

MVP
LeBron James

ROY
Jabari Parker

DPOY
Joakim Noah

Most Improved
Lance Stephenson

Sixth Man
Isaiah Thomas

Coach of the Year
David Blatt

That quote from Keys, in your sig, was probably a top-5 all-time post in the RCF. I just peed in my trousers all over again, reading it anew.

Fellas- What's with SI and ESPN and lots of others trying so hard to lick the sweat off the Bulls' balls?

I know the Bulls are a trendy pick, but Rose regaining his explosiveness and staying healthy an entire season is about a 50/50 proposition. The Cavs have the best player on the planet, the best trio in the league, and a genius coach. And the Cavs are on a MISSION. From God. What's not to like? The Spurs are solid, but they are also old. Kawhi Leonard is still improving, but Father Time is creeping up on Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. Help me out, here.

Dallas looking really strong early. They ar absolutley dismantling the celtics rigt now...

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."