• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Destiny

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I'll be on Sat as well, just need to know a time. I'll hit the gym early.

I don't measure games in sheer hours/value. A game with a good story or fun gameplay can make up for a short run time by just being good. Portal 2 was probably only an eight to ten hour game the first time through, but it was just so damn good that I don't even care. Most single-player games these days are pretty short, but if a game is good enough, you don't notice. I paid fifty bucks for Portal 2, beat it in two days, and didn't give a shit because it was that good. Quality trumps quantity every time.

The problem with Destiny is that it has neither. The quality is mediocre at the best of times, and the quantity has been lacking since launch, and adding a few new missions and strikes (that we all know were cut from the retail game) won't remedy that, especially if they're as lame and repetitive as the content in the retail game.

I'd also take The Last of Us a million times over a game like Destiny. The Last of Us may have been short, and I probably will never play it again, but it was great while it lasted and the ending was phenomenal. I'll take that any day in a video game, because so few of them have stories that truly move the meter.

A story game can be great for sure. Too bad video game writers suck at their jobs. There are so few games with stories that aren't just ripoffs of another story. Isn't the last of us basically that one movie the Road, or whatever.

A story is vastly overrated. People say they like a good story, but what they actually want us mindless fun. Why is Jerry Springer, and the Maury show still on? What about all these crummy reality shows.

People by and large just want something that is fun for them, and if it happens to have a good story behind it that's great. I am actually amazed that a TV show like the Knick got picked up for a second season * so I've heard*, and that Hannibal got renewed. With so many shows out there that pander to the lowest common denominator, I guess everyone who appreciates good story telling basically has to gravitate towards shows that try.

I feel Destiny is basically the Jersey shore of video games. I love the game, I play it a lot, but I feel it seriously disrespects the amount of time I have put into it. There is no way that after 10 or so attempts I should not have my 3 raid pieces. And before that, leveling gear from 26+ was worse. Basically being locked to 2 shards a day if I was LUCKY with the daily story. I could have played Destiny 2 hours a day and made almost the same progress I have now with 6+ a day.

There was a comment by someone earlier in the thread by someone about you needing to sink hours and hours into it. Not at all true. Once you have 2 or 3 legendary pieces, you can literally play the daily mission, the weekly, and log off every single day with the same progress as someone who can dedicate multiple hours to it.

I find that so weird. Most games reward you for being super dedicated to it, but Destiny just keeps giving you roadblocks trying to stop you. Now the worst part is, all that gear grinding, and shard grinding, and now I have one avenue to get the 1 thing I need to be the max level. 2x a week for over a month, on my very first attempt I got 2x raid pieces, since 0. Like literally my very first raid play through I got 2 pieces. I just want gloves bro :(

Well that's a bad example. Bioshock Infinite was horrid... That said, there are many games that are better from a story perspective. From the top of anyone's head, I'm sure not to many would come to mind.

I wish there was more content in the dlc for sure. Three missions, thought it was 5, either way not so good. Those missions will basically be relegated to daily heroics and bountys. In theory not a bad thing, but over here in reality, I currently have 73 ass shards, how many times do you think I'm going to do a daily heroic...

The strikes, again 2 strikes would be great, if they were as long as a raid attempt. Unfortunately, most can be done in under 20 minutes.

The Raid is the only thing I can honestly say I am excited for. I thoroughly enjoy VOG, so I imagine Crota's end will be fantastic as well. That said, it makes the grind to 30 seem ridiculous. If I ever get to 30 (likely 10+ attempts at this point...) the raised level cap makes my gear worthless.

I'm not outraged by the amount of content in the dlc though. Basically they are giving us the equivalent to a 3rd of the game as dlc. Not a horrible value proposition, although it's not a good one. I find it funny that people had absolutely no problem paying 15 bucks for the Last of Us dlc, which is maybe 2 hours of content tops, but god forbid that you pay 20 for dlc that nets you 15+ hours easily. It reeks of faux outrage to me. Or a double standard, either way not a good look.

Ps4 guys, do you want to do the Raid tomorrow before/after the Cavs game? If not does friday work for everyone?

I can be on before the cavs game tomorrow or on Saturday afternoon, either way. I'm probably gonna do the weekly heroic whichever day we aren't doing the raid so if anyone wants in on that let me know.

A story game can be great for sure. Too bad video game writers suck at their jobs. There are so few games with stories that aren't just ripoffs of another story. Isn't the last of us basically that one movie the Road, or whatever.

A story is vastly overrated. People say they like a good story, but what they actually want us mindless fun. Why is Jerry Springer, and the Maury show still on? What about all these crummy reality shows.

Mindless fun is fine too, but that doesn't mean that having a good story is overrated. There's a reason why the games nominated for GotY by every publication tend to have a well-written and compelling story. Sure, some of those nominated games are just really well-designed, but the majority are like The Last of Us with great characters and solid writing.

The issue with Destiny is, in my opinion, it's not even that fun. Mindless, certainly, but it just started to wear on me after a while. There was too much grinding and not enough reward for it, and the gameplay loop wasn't good enough to justify how repetitive it was. Further, with no actual story to support it, there's just little reason to keep playing unless you're obsessed with finding the best loot. I just lost interest in that nonsense when there are better games out.

For me personally, I get the most fun out of the cooperative element of the game. I enjoy having people join my fireteam or joining theirs in order to go tackle some tough event like Nightfall Strike or Raids. I'm a tactical thinker by nature, so I enjoy complex missions that involve strategy rather than just going all "LEEEEROOOOY JENKIIIIIINS" into the mouth of the enemy.

Hell, even if I've already done the Level 28 weekly strike or daily story, if someone I know someone wants some help with it, I'll usually help. Because, at the end of the day, you build up continuity and if you get a strong group of players together, it only benefits the group.

I will play 2-3 hours a day max during the work week because I have a 8-5 job and have to balance my free time so I can spend time with my wife in the evenings. I have by far, more time on the weekends. Still, I can knock out a couple public events, do my bounties, and the daily Level 28 so that I can continue to level up new equipment and earn ascendant materials. Farming is tedious, but you can pull patrol things to do to level up reputation, which will also send you new legendary equipment.

I can be on before the cavs game tomorrow or on Saturday afternoon, either way. I'm probably gonna do the weekly heroic whichever day we aren't doing the raid so if anyone wants in on that let me know.
Gymbo wants to do it Saturday, if you are available then. I'll be on around 4 on saturday.

I hate to say so so early, but we really should have played the raid tonight lol. Not like we would have missed much.

Edit: so yeah, definitely should have done the raid lol. Someone showed me how to get another chest in the Raid, so we will have to make sure to do it that way. Need Warlocks and Titans for it. Makes my Hunter a pretty good candidate to hold the shield, since my grenades don't do too much.

Random teleports are a real bitch. Everyone will have to get used to using the relic now, because it is obviously important that someone knows how to use it properly during the Atheon fight.

Last edited:
Guys still planning to do the Raid today? 4-5ish? I've talked to some people individually. But, it would be great if we were all on the RCF clan. Dang set it up, it may make things easier to coordinate. Here's the link: http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/405274

Just got home. Be on in about 5 minutes if you guys are all ready.

That was fun yesterday - I knew we'd plow through it pretty quickly. The trick is to just get everyone familiar with what to do. Random Atheon is harder, but once everyone was comfortable, we made it through.

Thanks everyone for doing this. I'd like to try to do this weekly to gain experience and get additional feel for Raiding, especially with the second Raid coming out next month.

That was fun yesterday - I knew we'd plow through it pretty quickly. The trick is to just get everyone familiar with what to do. Random Atheon is harder, but once everyone was comfortable, we made it through.

Thanks everyone for doing this. I'd like to try to do this weekly to gain experience and get additional feel for Raiding, especially with the second Raid coming out next month.
Hopefully, if we can do it enough times (and luck is on our side), we can do the Hard mode eventually. I've been trying, but the no revives is too much. I think you would need multiple level 30's, just to have a chance.

With the weekly reset, I'll be looking to tackle the Level 28 Heroic and Nightfall Strikes over the next couple days. If anyone is looking to join me, that'd be great. Also, I would like to give the VoG another run this weekend. Does Saturday work for you guys again?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."