• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Brian Hoyer thread...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
When Gordon returns, defenses will no longer be able to stack 8 or 9 in the box. The running game should open back up because of it and the offense should be able to move at a much more consistent pace. The Browns just have to weather the storm in the meantime.

Only thing that sucks about that is we have to play Houston/Bengals. Hopefully our D can stop Foster and we can pass on their shitty secondary. We are going to have to win that game in the air. Hopefully Cameron is back. Cinci is always going to be tough for us.

Hopefully we can take 2/3 and be 6-4 when he returns. I think Hoyer will continue to throw at least 1 40+yd throw especially when Gordon comes back. We have 4 guys (3 speedy) that can catch quick deep balls. in the face.

We're only a year removed from watching Brandon Weeden play quarterback for us and people turn their noses up at Jay Cutler. Incredible.

Anyone remember when Cutler led the Bears to 21 unanswered points in the 4th quarter last year to get the win in Cleveland? Sure doesn't seem like it.

We're only a year removed from watching Brandon Weeden play quarterback for us and people turn their noses up at Jay Cutler. Incredible.

Anyone remember when Cutler led the Bears to 21 unanswered points in the 4th quarter last year to get the win in Cleveland? Sure doesn't seem like it.

Most people don't realize there are only a couple truly elite QBs in the league...Brady and Manning, who are on their way out, and Brees, maybe one or two others. The odds of finding a guy of that caliber are very slim, so we probably need to be happy if we can find a guy who is at least top 15 or breaking into the top 10.

Those playoff games outline exactly why Andy Dalton isn't that good. He's honestly been that team's biggest weakness for a while now.
...but Keys told me the higher you are paid, the higher the degree of importance a player is to his team.

Most people don't realize there are only a couple truly elite QBs in the league...Brady and Manning, who are on their way out, and Brees, maybe one or two others. The odds of finding a guy of that caliber are very slim, so we probably need to be happy if we can find a guy who is at least top 15 or breaking into the top 10.

Well for that we need a much larger sample size. Hoyer has not played enough games to see he is a top 15 QB for sure. We saw his good side and we are not seeing his sub par side. He is a great back-up. But starting quality ? That is what we need to find out. I would wait till end of season before making a call as far contract is concerned.

Well for that we need a much larger sample size. Hoyer has not played enough games to see he is a top 15 QB for sure. We saw his good side and we are not seeing his sub par side. He is a great back-up. But starting quality ? That is what we need to find out. I would wait till end of season before making a call as far contract is concerned.

Yep. Believe me I'm not fully endorsing Hoyer or anything. If he starts to lose games because of his play (hasnt happened yet) people will turn on him pretty quick. We're 4-3 right now though, so...can't complain too much.

Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Luck, and Big Ben are all "elite" QB's to me.

I don't really care about rankings that much. There are a lot of QB's that aren't elite, that I would still like to have on my team.

I value a QB that's smart, makes sound decisions, and isn't going to be a turnover machine.

Alex Smith is a QB I would take. Hoyer has some of the pedigree I would accept at QB, but he's not shown me enough yet to say he's the guy.

I don't care if people think Cutler is a top-15 QB, so by definition, you have to be willing to accept wanting him.

He's a top-15 talent, he's got a good arm, and has always had the talent to be an elite QB.

His poor leadership, his bad habits, and his inability to not turn the ball over neglects everything he's actually good at.

Dalton is in the same boat. Talented QB's alone isn't what I value.

I think it's the one position where smarts, and leadership arguably is more important than just talent.

Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Luck, and Big Ben are all "elite" QB's to me.
I don't really care about rankings that much. There are a lot of QB's that aren't elite, that I would still like to have on my team.

Well, the history of Browns QB's over the last 15 years has been so crappy that there are lots of average guys who would have looked great in comparison.

But to me, the most relevant question I'd ask myself is "if this was my QB, would I be looking to upgrade that position in the draft if I had a top 5 pick? That's kind of how I'd define the guys who are "elite", excluding those situations where teams already had a recently-drafted young QB whom they are still trying to evaluate. But when looking at vets, the "upgrade" question is a pretty good metric.

I value a QB that's smart, makes sound decisions, and isn't going to be a turnover machine.

Alex Smith is a QB I would take. Hoyer has some of the pedigree I would accept at QB, but he's not shown me enough yet to say he's the guy.

I don't care if people think Cutler is a top-15 QB, so by definition, you have to be willing to accept wanting him.

He's a top-15 talent, he's got a good arm, and has always had the talent to be an elite QB.

His poor leadership, his bad habits, and his inability to not turn the ball over neglects everything he's actually good at.

I think it's the one position where smarts, and leadership arguably is more important than just talent.

Luck is on the cusp. I admit I forgot about Rodgers.

Finding a good QB is pretty hard. Brian Hoyer has what it takes to be a pretty good one to me. He'll never be great, he'll never be close to an elite QB.

My biggest problem with Hoyer has always been his arm. His best throw ironically is probably the deep post, coming off play action. Making that throw doesn't really show off arm strength though. He's not a bad vertical thrower. Not great, but definitely above average.

His arm strength comes into question on making those inner mediate throws. His accuracy isn't very good. I'd say below average. When it comes to making those throws in tight coverage, from about 8-15 yards.

That can become a problem, especially when we can't run the ball. You start to see the bad Hoyer come to life.

It's no secret why Hoyer is pretty bad on 3rd down, when a really good throw is needed to beat defenses in tight coverage.

...but Keys told me the higher you are paid, the higher the degree of importance a player is to his team.

Don't tug on Superman's cape, junior.

The Browns invested heavily in the offensive line. When one of the major investments of the whole offense goes down for the season, even if you don't understand the importance of an elite center, you better believe the offense has suffered a significant setback. The running attack was predicated and designed around elite line play. Losing Mack is a HUGE part of the offense going into a two week tailspin. I don't expect people who barely understand football to comprehend the loss of a center to a zone blocking scheme, so I used the monetary side of the sport an example.

Not sure I'd put rivers in the elite category. What has he ever won? Not to mention he a complete asshole to his teammates on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You say you value good decisions and QBs who don't make dumb decisions and still mention Luck? Guy makes 2-3 terrible decisions weekly.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."