• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Brian Hoyer thread...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
You say you value good decisions and QBs who don't make dumb decisions and still mention Luck? Guy makes 2-3 terrible decisions weekly.

No, there's a difference between making poor decisions, and having to do too much. Which is what Luck has to do.

In return, sure, he's going to throw a lot of interceptions. Not to mention, the dude is still very young and will make mistakes.

You'd got to be crazy if you wouldn't want him. He's by far and away better than any young QB in this league.

To think there were some people trying to put Russell Wilson ahead of him. How is old Russ doing lately?

No, there's a difference between making poor decisions, and having to do too much. Which is what Luck has to do.

In return, sure, he's going to throw a lot of interceptions. Not to mention, the dude is still very young and will make mistakes.

You'd got to be crazy if you wouldn't want him. He's by far and away better than any young QB in this league.

To think there were some people trying to put Russell Wilson ahead of him. How is old Russ doing lately?

Old Russ - 1 ring
Andrew - 0 rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dilfer could of flung for 300 yards a game and been pass happy like marino... only Dilfer wanted to win and was willing to sacrifice his game !

Interestingly enough both Dilfer and Wilson had some historically good defenses keeping the other teams offense in check.

Dilfer could of flung for 300 yards a game and been pass happy like marino... only Dilfer wanted to win and was willing to sacrifice his game !

Totally, can't believe Dilfer went through his entire career sacrificing his Dan Marino-esque game for that of a winner!

What a team player

Last edited:
I know, Dilfer was a beast.
Interestingly enough both Dilfer and Wilson had some historically good defenses keeping the other teams offense in check.

If you can win a SB with Dilfer (I'm not suggesting Wilson is chop liver, he's definitely better), I don't see why you couldn't win one with Hoyer.

But, Hoyer much like those two QB's, need the perfect storm around him to do that. We have some of the pieces in place, but definitely not built that way yet.

I'm in a weird place with Hoyer. Logically I know he is going to keep the starting job barring injury or us being out of playoff contention. I am not a Manziel fan whatsoever, but I did find myself getting close to calling for JF yesterday. One more turd game from Hoyer and I might be ready to call for a switch

Hoyer looked like garbage. His throw to Benjamin to open the game was great and he didn't miss a wide-open Gabriel for his second TD, but he made so many bad throws, got several receivers absolutely leveled, and displayed unusually bad (for him) decision making throughout the game.

In typical Hoyer fashion, the end numbers (300/2/2) mask how bad he was. I would love to see his splits on play action vs traditional pocket passing. I can't remember a single throw he completed where PA wasn't involved, though I'm sure there was one or two I'm forgetting. Shanahan has done a great job scheming for him.

But...Hoyer keeps winning in spite of himself. The bend-but-don't-break defense continues to keep the opposition from putting points on the board. We're a win on Thursday from being in the playoffs.

Before people chime in on the receivers, running game, etc., I'm only talking about what I've seen from Hoyer. I understand mutual exclusivity doesn't exist in an NFL offense, but the one thing Hoyer had going for him was that he didn't turn the ball over. The past 3 weeks (combined opponent record: 2-23) he's thrown 3 picks, lost a fumble, and had 2-3 more picks either dropped or negated by penalties. When he's turning the ball over, he's not good enough to start in this league. Period.

Last edited:
Winning 4 of the last 5 games is hardly grounds for contemplating a QB switch....

It's unbelievable, to me, that so many people on other social networking sites (i.e. Twitter & FB) are ready to jump off and sell the season with a loss on Thursday. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills being happy right now.

I don't think we should make a QB change at all or even really think about it at this point. As Soda said, Hoyer has won 4 of the last 5 games. Even though the performances aren't pretty they still get the job done and Hoyer still gives us the best chance to win at this point. He should remain the QB until he proves he isn't the best option.

These next few weeks vs quality opponents will be huge for the Browns. If Hoyer performs well, he's probably going to last the rest of the year as the starter. If he starts turning the ball over and putting us in poor situations then the calls for Manziel will get louder. Eventually he'll be put in as the starter and if it is this year my guess is it'll be the home game vs the Colts.

Winning football in November is a foreign concept to most of us. Enjoy the ride while it lasts!

Part of me wonders how much of this extremism is being driven by the fact that we have a rookie quarterback on the bench.

It's all relative. Last year with Weeden, these performances would not only have sufficed, the praise would be much more commonplace (and it was in 2013).

Is he perfect? No. But if Manziel was better, he'd be playing. Plain and simple.

Hoyer strings together some bad drives but has consistently answered with good ones. Bipolar, yes, but until it starts equating to losses, you don't make the change - not until you have to.

I'd have no problem changing from Hoyer if he would regress, but he's been good enough to keep the job and the simple fact is they don't have anyone else on the roster good enough to switch to.

He's winning games and his stats aren't awful.

Bar may be low. Then again, I think a large reason he is still the starter is because his teammates love him and would run through a brick wall for him.

Also, best record of any Browns QB not named Otto Graham through his first 11 games as a starter.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."