• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Building a Gaming PC

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
What's your guys' opnion on triple monitors? I think it would be a bad ass gaming upgrade for ~$240 (my main monitor was $120 so double that) but ive never seen it in person

What's your guys' opnion on triple monitors? I think it would be a bad ass gaming upgrade for ~$240 (my main monitor was $120 so double that) but ive never seen it in person

I had double monitors at home for a while and rarely used the second one. There are times every now and then that I wish I still had the second one set up (it was a 32" HDTV, so I turned it into my bedroom TV and hooked the old 360 and PS3 up to it since the PS4 and Xbone now occupy the living room), but not often enough to really need it. The main example I can think of is when I'm streaming a movie on Superchillin and want to look up something on the web without tabbing away from the movie.

At work, though, multiple monitors are basically a requirement.

I had double monitors at home for a while and rarely used the second one. There are times every now and then that I wish I still had the second one set up (it was a 32" HDTV, so I turned it into my bedroom TV and hooked the old 360 and PS3 up to it since the PS4 and Xbone now occupy the living room), but not often enough to really need it. The main example I can think of is when I'm streaming a movie on Superchillin and want to look up something on the web without tabbing away from the movie.

At work, though, multiple monitors are basically a requirement.

I have my old 18" as my second monitor, basically I stream games on it while doing whatever on my main, super useful for that. Ive heard the eyefinity/surround is kinda neat but basically ends up being a headache in the long run

and def need 2 monitors at work..fuckin excel, man

I'm looking at picking up a gently used (probably mined) XFX DD 290x and a modular Corsair 600W PSU from a trusted forum guy.. asking price is $350 ($275 for GPU, $50 for PSU.. I asked if he will deal since im buying both, waiting on his response). If i do it, i can throw my 7850 and PSU in with my old gear and sell it to my buddy for ~$300.

What say you guys?
bzxrA5H.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I bought the XFX 290x + CX600m PSU for $300 + shipping

selling my old build to my buddy for $300 in the next few weeks, so its basically offset :celb (7):

just realized the 290x doesnt have analogue output, so my second monitor (VGA only) wont work... grr, dont really wanna mess with a converter. I can probably swap it with a 19" HDTV I have back home, which has HDMI n all that jazz

Last edited:
Well, I bought the XFX 290x + CX600m PSU for $300 + shipping

selling my old build to my buddy for $300 in the next few weeks, so its basically offset :celb (7):

just realized the 290x doesnt have analogue output, so my second monitor (VGA only) wont work... grr, dont really wanna mess with a converter. I can probably swap it with a 19" HDTV I have back home, which has HDMI n all that jazz

The CX 600M powers that 290x well? Seems like it puts out 552W on the 12V rail. Are you able to overclock your 290x much? I hate how every 290 and 290x seems to recommend 750W power supplies even though system draw is more like 400W when benchmarking even with heavily overclocked 4790K's and 5930K's. Hoping my Neo Eco 620C (576W on the 12V rail, 48A) is enough. It should be though based on every benchmark I have seen.

The CX 600M powers that 290x well? Seems like it puts out 552W on the 12V rail. Are you able to overclock your 290x much? I hate how every 290 and 290x seems to recommend 750W power supplies even though system draw is more like 400W when benchmarking even with heavily overclocked 4790K's and 5930K's. Hoping my Neo Eco 620C (576W on the 12V rail, 48A) is enough. It should be though based on every benchmark I have seen.

Everything I've read says that 600w is fine as long as its a quality PSU and I do not plan on overclocking at all, so far its been fine but I havent been able to game on it yet. Gonna play something when i get off work though, maybe the witcher 2 just to put it through some paces.. none of my games are THAT demanding though

I gotta disagree with the love for Western Digital Black hard drives. I have had two go bad, one of them really early on only a couple of months after purchase. What a waste of money they were. I might as well have saved money on blues or greens or spent more on real enterprise drives. One of the blacks was still under warranty, but the 2GB of data loss was way more important than the cost of the drive.

Everything I've read says that 600w is fine as long as its a quality PSU and I do not plan on overclocking at all, so far its been fine but I havent been able to game on it yet. Gonna play something when i get off work though, maybe the witcher 2 just to put it through some paces.. none of my games are THAT demanding though

So it runs well on that Corsair PSU? Curious what CPU you have and whether you can get the GPU running at 100%. I know my CPU (Pentium G3258 @ 4.4GHz) is going to bottleneck the hell out of my 290 when it comes in next week, but I'm looking to stick an i5-4590 most likely, though possibly a Xeon E3-1231v3, within the next month or two.

So it runs well on that Corsair PSU? Curious what CPU you have and whether you can get the GPU running at 100%. I know my CPU (Pentium G3258 @ 4.4GHz) is going to bottleneck the hell out of my 290 when it comes in next week, but I'm looking to stick an i5-4590 most likely, though possibly a Xeon E3-1231v3, within the next month or two.

600w PSU is just fine, played BL2 maxed out for like 4 straight hours last night no problems.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($117.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($81.24 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.92 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($349.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Grey ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.50 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1098.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-02 13:46 EST-0500

PCPP estimated 492w power draw

I gotta disagree with the love for Western Digital Black hard drives. I have had two go bad, one of them really early on only a couple of months after purchase. What a waste of money they were. I might as well have saved money on blues or greens or spent more on real enterprise drives. One of the blacks was still under warranty, but the 2GB of data loss was way more important than the cost of the drive.

I think you were just unlucky. My company has remote service contracts that deals with hundreds of blades servers. WD Blacks are the exact same hardware as WD RE3's which are server-grade. The firmware is different, and can be flashed, but you are unlikely to get mechanical breakdowns.

On the other end of the spectrum, you're looking at Seagate Barracuda's which could be the worst hard drive ever built.

WD Blacks are the only HDD we use in my remote sensing lab

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."