• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Windhorst-WKNR

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
The three big problems with Opp Per:
1) Doesn't understand help defense ( Makes players that the coach hides on defense look better than they are / Makes help defenders look worse that they are )
2) Doesn't really know who the player was guarding (zones / switches / cross matches)
3) Relies on 82games system of determining player position to work correctly for both teams to get the defensive assignments correct​

That's my long standing axe to grind. I can't help myself.

Back to the topic--

Is Waiters going to be the 6th man? I can see why Windhorst might have said that, and there's a long history of Waiters getting moved to the bench. It could certainly happen, but at least one of these things has to happen first:
  1. Someone else on the roster has to show they are a reasonable starting 2 guard
  2. Second unit has to be so weak that Coach is compelled to move more talent to help it out
  3. Waiter's disrupts the chemistry of the starters and coach can't fix it except by moving Waiters out.
I think Blatt is going to try to make things work for a while before benching Waiters.

1) Doesn't understand help defense ( Makes players that the coach hides on defense look better than they are / Makes help defenders look worse that they are )
2) Doesn't really know who the player was guarding (zones / switches / cross matches)
3) Relies on 82games system of determining player position to work correctly for both teams to get the defensive assignments correct​

Back to the topic--

Is Waiters going to be the 6th man? I can see why Windhorst might have said that, and there's a long history of Waiters getting moved to the bench. It could certainly happen, but at least one of these things has to happen first:
  1. Someone else on the roster has to show they are a reasonable starting 2 guard
  2. Second unit has to be so weak that Coach is compelled to move more talent to help it out
  3. Waiter's disrupts the chemistry of the starters and coach can't fix it except by moving Waiters out.
I think Blatt is going to try to make things work for a while before benching Waiters.

I mostly agree. I do believe circumstances could arise that would make benching Waiters a real possibility.

However, the manner in which Windhorst framed the story (Blatt trying to make Dion want to come off the bench) seems so wildly out of character for our coach that it makes me think this is pure speculation on Windy's part.

Thus, I don't put any stock into this idea being on the Cavaliers' radar at all right now.

I have yet to find any individual defensive metric that I completely trust in any sport. In MLB, UZR and dWAR are decent, but still have some holes.

Given that MLB has about 1000 times the data that the NBA does, and sabermetrics in baseball has been around a lot longer, if MLB doesn't have a good individual defensive metric, the NBA has no chance.

Miller cannot guard two's anymore. It would be like having Thompson guard 3's consistently

YouDont use the data to draw conclusions . you use it to support it.. Its is a tool. nt something you just glance at and make a conclusion.
theres plenty of data on this thread alon that supports that Waiters is improving defensively and B a plus defender. Whether he excells on the ball or in the zone.. help defense or benefiting from being lined up with a particular players.. those 82game stats are not gonna giv you any indication on that but the more sources that support a guy as a good team defender the more reliable it is. multiple data points on this thread thats brings into question the assumption that Dion is a lousy defender.I agree though you gotta be aware of the weakness of any given stat.

Meanwhile, Windhorst is laughing, saying he can't wait to see how people react "when the Cavs lose to Chicago and Portland coming up," etc.

Damn, Windy. I know you fashion yourself a realistic but...get a grip. :chuckle:

Meanwhile, Windhorst is laughing, saying he can't wait to see how people react "when the Cavs lose to Chicago and Portland coming up," etc.

Damn, Windy. I know you fashion yourself a realistic but...get a grip. :chuckle:

Do you know where I can find the new podcast of "Hey Windy"?

Well... it could happen. In all honesty, if we finish November above .500 I will be happy.

Although laughing about seems tasteless.

Well... it could happen. In all honesty, if we finish November above .500 I will be happy.

Although laughing about seems tasteless.

I'm aware it could happen nor do I really care if it does because it means absolutely nothing. It just seemed like he was relishing it. Like, he literally said, "I CANT WAIT!"

I know he's just joking around but really Windy? It just comes across as stupid. He already has a reputation as being a hater, true or not. It's like he's playing into his role.

Oh Windy predicted it? Then I guess we will win tonight.

I think we're screwed tonight, I just hope it's not a blowout

He really said that?

The entire world is going to overreact when we lose. I don't see us losing 3 in a row to start the season.

LeBron won't let that happen. But Windy is right, if he expects us to start out of the gate slow. I can see that happening. I kinda hope it does. Not that I'm suggesting I want to lose, I want to see how this team will respond.

Because let's be honest, for years now, this team has had no backbone. This might be the best growing up experience Kyrie and Dion can go through. I rather it happen now than later.

I am sticking to my guns, the Cavs win tonight though. LeBron has one of those angry performances where he simply can't be stopped.

I expect the cast around him to possible struggle a bit though.

Low scoring game, cavs 88-85.

Last edited:

I just can't figure him out. Wasn't he just saying last week that he thought the Cavs were better than the Bulls?

That being said, I'm not feeling too good about their chances tonight. On the road, coming off a deflating loss, against their biggest threat in the conference... I hope they come out and surprise us. Despite the Bulls holding LeBron to his lowest scoring average against any team last year, I feel like he's not going to have two subpar games in a row.

Of course Windy can't wait for us to lose.

Journalist's dream. The stories will write themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."