• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The 2015 Cleveland Indians

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Uribe is great with the glove, but he's aging, out of shape and due for a dramatic decline offensive to his career mean.

You've got a guy 10 years younger who's progressing in both facets of the game making a fraction of what Uribe does.

I'm not sure I agree with that. He was awful at the plate in the 2nd half and awful defensively all season (2nd to last defensive 3B in all of MLB).

I like Lonnie and still think he can help this team. I'm just not comfortable going into 2015 with him being the only viable option at 3B. I think Urshela will be the guy long-term at 3B, but he's obviously not ready at this point.

I'm not sure I agree with that. He was awful at the plate in the 2nd half and awful defensively all season (2nd to last defensive 3B in all of MLB).

I like Lonnie and still think he can help this team. I'm just not comfortable going into 2015 with him being the only viable option at 3B. I think Urshela will be the guy long-term at 3B, but he's obviously not ready at this point.

It's fair, you have much more faith in defensive metrics than I do. You also have a much higher opinion of Urshela than I do, he's a AAAA guy for me and I don't think his 2014 was sustainable.

$6.5M for Juan Uribe isn't just another "viable option," he's an anchor to the position. His defensive production isn't worth that and he offers no versatility or ability to hit forward in the lineup.

It's not the metrics- he looked awful. Lowest fielding pct of all regular 3b. His arm is erratic. He doesn't get to eough balls despite being a converted SS. He is a stop gap at this point. The bat could round back into form and find im a position but he didn't look any betterdefensively than he was in Akron.

It's not the metrics- he looked awful. Lowest fielding pct of all regular 3b. His arm is erratic. He doesn't get to eough balls despite being a converted SS. He is a stop gap at this point. The bat could round back into form and find im a position but he didn't look any betterdefensively than he was in Akron.

I thought he got much better as the season went on and he continued to get comfortable being a regular. His arm isn't nearly as erratic as it once was, and I thought his range improved significantly while being pretty good at the oncoming charge.

Again, the defensive metrics don't show potential, but I think Chis has more than enough athleticism to become an above average defensive 3B.

Indians win the WS next year. I have a funny feeling.

And you know I usually predict them to suck.
Not going that far, but I think the Tribe finds their way back into the playoffs this upcoming season. It is an odd numbered year, after all.

Indians filled up their 40-man today:

This doesn't mean TOO much, but I think it's a pretty clear indication they won't be that active in free agency.

Indians filled up their 40-man today:

This doesn't mean TOO much, but I think it's a pretty clear indication they won't be that active in free agency.

Any surprises here or other guys you think we run the risk of losing?

Any surprises here or other guys you think we run the risk of losing?

Wolters is probably the biggest surprise on that list for me, I can't see how he'd stick anywhere else. But he's still a versatile utility type worth adding.

Reactions: Nom
Wolters is probably the biggest surprise on that list for me, I can't see how he'd stick anywhere else. But he's still a versatile utility type worth adding.

Wolters is such a weird case. Weird guy to move to C but he seems to be picking it up fairly well. Wonder if he'll ever make it to the big-league squad.

Wolters is such a weird case. Weird guy to move to C but he seems to be picking it up fairly well. Wonder if he'll ever make it to the big-league squad.

If he does, he'd be an unreal utility guy. Someone who can be a primary backup catcher, 2B and SS would be incredibly useful....

Reactions: Nom
Via Baseball America:

Cleveland Indians

Cody Anderson, RHP: The converted outfielder has a plus fastball and repeatable delivery, with a slider and curve that are solid. He has solid command and projects as a middle-of-the-rotation starter.

Giovanny Urshela, 3B: Aggressive hitter who makes a lot of contact and rarely walks. Drove the ball better in 2014 than previously. Defensively, one of the best third baseman in the organization.

Tony Wolters, C: Making the transition from middle infielder to behind the plate, scouts say Wolters is a good defender, with quick feet and a great arm. At bat, he’s a line-drive, gap-to-gap hitter who does a good job of controlling the strike zone, but has below-average power.

Ryan Merritt, LHP: Not big or overpowering, Merritt gets by with above-average command and a solid three-pitch mix. He can dial the velocity up and down depending on the situation and flashes a decent change.

Shawn Armstrong, RHP: A sinker/slider guy with plus velocity but a history of control issues. The slider has bite, but is inconsistent.

All is quiet on the Indians front, which I expected. The big name free agents are going to have to sign before the trade market really gets going. I also expect them to see if there's a late signing possibility like Bourn, Cruz, etc.

With Moss being added, the Indians will need to make a corresponding move to add him to the 40-man.

Anyone's guess how the lineup plays out with the 2, 6-8 spots but I'm guessing it looks something like:

CF - Bourn (L)
SS - Ramirez (S)
LF - Brantley (L)
1B - Santana (S)
RF - Moss (L)
C - Gomes
2B - Kipnis
DH - Swisher (S)
3B - Chisenhall (L)

With Moss being added, the Indians will need to make a corresponding move to add him to the 40-man.

Anyone's guess how the lineup plays out with the 2, 6-8 spots but I'm guessing it looks something like:

CF - Bourn (L)
SS - Ramirez (S)
LF - Brantley (L)
1B - Santana (S)
RF - Moss (L)
C - Gomes
2B - Kipnis
DH - Swisher (S)
3B - Chisenhall (L)
Not a bad lineup. 3-6 is pretty solid. It would be nice to see Kipnis regain his form.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."