• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Anybody Need a Car?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
what exactly is a sweetheart deal? PM the details. Would like new, but I love a deal more than anything. I like the idea of the very slightly used, but they don't seem to drop enough to make it worth my while. Want AWD at least.

Serious, but we'll see. Ex wife had her lawyer send me a letter asking for cash. We'll see if I have any expendable income left here soon.

Shakalu: Question for you.

If I trade in a car and buy a new or used car, the trade in value acts as a coupon and that amount is not taxed. For example, $12000 car, $7000 trade-in, I pay sales tax on $5000. Is the same not true for a lease?

Never trade in a car on a lease. Let's say you want to lease a car and the total payments are $12,000 over 36 months. So $333/month.

Now let's say you decide to trade in your car on the lease (trade in value of $7,000). So now you only have to pay $5,000 over 36 months to lease the car. Only $139/month. Seems like a great deal, right? But when someone is texting and driving and runs a red light and totals your car, guess what happens? Insurance will pay off what you owe on the lease, and you basically get nothing back.

This is the same reason why you never put a big down payment on a lease. If you put $8k down on a lease and total it a week after, you don't get that $8k back.

Never trade in a car on a lease. Let's say you want to lease a car and the total payments are $12,000 over 36 months. So $333/month.

Now let's say you decide to trade in your car on the lease (trade in value of $7,000). So now you only have to pay $5,000 over 36 months to lease the car. Only $139/month. Seems like a great deal, right? But when someone is texting and driving and runs a red light and totals your car, guess what happens? Insurance will pay off what you owe on the lease, and you basically get nothing back.

This is the same reason why you never put a big down payment on a lease. If you put $8k down on a lease and total it a week after, you don't get that $8k back.

Thank you for pointing that out. I ended up leasing an Equinox and the salesman mentioned the same thing to me, I was prepared to pay the entire lease up front. I ended up putting $0 down and just financed the lease.

Have a 2013 Kia Optima (17,000mi) that will be up from my 3yr lease next Sept. I will keep you in mind, as I will begin car hunting here soon. Any advice on turning in a lease early, or letting the whole thing ride out?

I'm thinking about leasing a Ferrari. The payment they're offering is $5,000 a month over 36 months 10% FMV.

Is that a good deal or should I buy it outright?

I have a 2010 BMW worth maybe 18k, 16k trade in

I am considering trading it in for a 99-04 Mustang GT with a 5 speed, a cheap pickup with 4x4, and cash

can you make that happen

Anybody interested in a Scion FRS stick shift for 4,000 off the list price? It's a 2013 but has never been owned or titled. It's brand new, just been sitting on the lot.

I'm going out this Saturday to buy a new SUV. I'm looking in that $22,000 to $25,000 range. I'm hoping one of those Black Friday 2014 clearance deals do me right.

The wife and I are torn on Honda CRV or Nissan Rogue. What do you know about family cars @Shakalu M.D. ?

My wife and I always liked the CRV. For a family of 3-4 it should be great. Anything more you need a bigger vehicle. I've never really been a Nissan guy nor do I like the Toyota Rav 4. The Ford Escape is pretty nice too.

I'm going out this Saturday to buy a new SUV. I'm looking in that $22,000 to $25,000 range. I'm hoping one of those Black Friday 2014 clearance deals do me right.

The wife and I are torn on Honda CRV or Nissan Rogue. What do you know about family cars @Shakalu M.D. ?

If that's what you have it narrowed down to I would definitely focus more on the Honda. Nissans are great cars, but in the end the cost of ownership will be far lower on a Honda. You'll also get more for your trade once you're ready for your next new car.

I work for Toyota so I'm a little biased, I prefer the newer model Ravs.

The redesigned Rogue sure looks nice but I don't know a whole lot about it. It has a CVT which might annoy you I guess but they do lead to better mileage.

My sister in law has a CRV and it's great. Solid real world MPG, haven't had to put any money into it. Apparently the heated seats will work without the engine being on though, so make sure you turn them off or else you will have to call your brother in law at 10PM on a worknight to drive a half hour away to jump your car.

I'd say take a look at the Mazda whatever too, if you appreciate good driving dynamics, Mazda is where it's at nowadays.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. We were told we can't jump on Black Friday car sales early and have to wait - an aside I actually think that is bad salesmanship - so I have time to research the Mazda choices. You are right that we are drawn to the Rogue because of aesthetics and MPG, but remember I'm coming off three years of a PT Cruiser... I'd like to get a car that doesn't draw laughter for a change of pace.

I know RAV4' s pay the bills for you Shakalu, so I won't bad mouth them... just not for me.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. We were told we can't jump on Black Friday car sales early and have to wait - an aside I actually think that is bad salesmanship - so I have time to research the Mazda choices. You are right that we are drawn to the Rogue because of aesthetics and MPG, but remember I'm coming off three years of a PT Cruiser... I'd like to get a car that doesn't draw laughter for a change of pace.

I know RAV4' s pay the bills for you Shakalu, so I won't bad mouth them... just not for me.

Hopefully you got out there on Black Friday and got a car you like. I don't know what other dealers had going on, but we were basically giving away base model Ravs.

I know most here probably aren't minivan guys, but we have a 2014 fully loaded Limited Sienna minivan hugely discounted. The 2015s were redesigned so we're trying to get rid of our last 2014. We've discounted this thing $7,000.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I pitched an idea to my boss that he loves. He's giving me a page on the dealer website where I can blog about cars. I can write and post articles. I'm also planning on making video recordings of me demoing various cars.

Question for the board, what kind of information would you find useful? The goal here is to provide information to help consumers, but also get my name and face out there so people ask for me when stopping in the store. What kind of info would you find helpful from a salesman?

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."