• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

David Blatt is a former NBA coach

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
Read an interesting article today. The following stood out:

"I think Blatt is struggling a bit," said one veteran NBA coach. "The offense is not very imaginative. Spoelstra did good job of blending guys, creating ways to get guys isolated. I don't see that right now. They're going through the motions of an offense that isn't clicking."

The coach, who did not want to be named while critiquing a rival, said Blatt's offense relied on "a lot of European stuff that isn't going to work" in the NBA. "It's too simple. I just don't think he hits the right buttons.

"Their talent is taking over and will win some games," the coach said. "But going against elite teams, that's not going to work."

Don't know how credible it is, but one has to wonder if the apparent "unimaginative European offense that won't work in the NBA" is quite a general consensus around the league at the moment.

Personally, Blatt instils too much confidence in his press conferences for me to think he doesn't have a bunch of rabbits left to pull out of his bag. I can't imagine him not demonstrating some sort of phenomenal offense a few months from now.

I didn't hear the convo, but they probably look at him as an outsider. The NBA fraternity of coaches is fiercely loyal and would no doubt be wary and perhaps jealous of a guy coming in from Europe to coach Lebron and what should be a title contender. NBA coaches and former NBA coaches not named Jason Kidd pretty much always defend other coaches and look out for each other, and I would bet money that some are upset that their NBA guy didn't get the Cavs job over this "foreigner".

I agree that this sounds right. I can see there being some ruffled feathers that a guy that has never worked a single minute for an NBA team in any capacity comes in and gets a head coaching job.

Don't know how credible it is, but one has to wonder if the apparent "unimaginative European offense that won't work in the NBA" is quite a general consensus around the league at the moment.

Personally, Blatt instils too much confidence in his press conferences for me to think he doesn't have a bunch of rabbits left to pull out of his bag. I can't imagine him not demonstrating some sort of phenomenal offense a few months from now.

The offense is kinda unimaginative right now. They run the same set every single time down the court. Some of it is players playing lazy- setting incredible lazy picks, passing the ball really lazy.

It certainly isnt anything like the videos posted from Blatt at Maccabi, especially in the use of a stretch PF.

The offense is kinda unimaginative right now. They run the same set every single time down the court. Some of it is players playing lazy- setting incredible lazy picks, passing the ball really lazy.

It certainly isnt anything like the videos posted from Blatt at Maccabi, especially in the use of a stretch PF.

Don't remember the specifics, nor do I have the time to find them, but I think it was an article or press conference with Blatt mentioning his offense and the team. He basically said that he installed the base offense and it would take a lot of time before he incorporated the more complex elements and plays.

Anyone else recall? And could that be what's going on currently?

Don't remember the specifics, nor do I have the time to find them, but I think it was an article or press conference with Blatt mentioning his offense and the team. He basically said that he installed the base offense and it would take a lot of time before he incorporated the more complex elements and plays.

he said that after the Hawks game.

While this may be true, I remember both Mike Brown and Byron Scott making similar statements.

While this may be true, I remember both Mike Brown and Byron Scott making similar statements.

lol -- you make not like what you see on the floor right now, but wait till I unveil my double-super-secret complicated offense! (When the players are ready of course!).

I don't get it. Is the offense "unimaginative", as some have said, or is it "really complicated", as others have said. It can't be both, can it?

I don't get it. Is the offense "unimaginative", as some have said, or is it "really complicated", as others have said. It can't be both, can it?

Personally, I still believe it's the latter. But if the article is anything to go by (and as I said, I'm not sure about the credibility), then it seems to suggest the former.

David Blatt after the Wiz win:
"I'm not making a big deal about the game tonight because that would do injustice to the bad games that we played," said Blatt after his team assisted on 23 of 38 baskets, cut their turnovers down to just 10 and put six players in double digits. "You know what I mean? I just think we played the way we should play. No reason to jump out of our britches. Just we should have a good feeling that we played the way that we should play. And beyond that, not much. I know the turkey is going to taste a little bit sweeter tomorrow."

Is that a contender for Blatt's qoute of the day?

Source:
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/...top&rand=ref~{"ref":"http://t.co/lys8GlH7Oa"}

The Cavs have gone from ranked 29th in defensive efficiency to 17th. They're starting to run plays for Love closer to the basket. And LeBron is starting to play like LeBron.

The Cavs are only 7-7, but have a points differential of +3.4. Only 7 teams have a higher diff. Houston, one place higher at +5.5, is 12-3. The Cavs are starting to show that they're much better than their current record.

This has been a very good week for Blatt. He has the Cavs contesting more shots, blowing fewer assignments, and moving the ball like he's Lenny Wilkins. They're playing smart basketball, but now comes the tough part -- to maintain these improvements for more than just a couple games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."