• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Anthony Bennett

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Just imagine how lucky MN is. Love isn't franchise player couldn't even lead then to the playoffs. Now they get lucky with this trade and boom they have a superstar maybe franchise if you believe PG is a star
(I think wiggins will be on another level above him). Add in all that youth and if they tank and can get Towns or Okafor watch out.

The Timberwolves are 3-9, giving up the second most points per game in the league and are about 3-4 years away from being any sort of real threat to make the playoffs in the West. They have become a worse defensive team after trading Kevin Love.

How lucky they are.

No, because Minnesota saw what certain posters around here refuse to see, that Bennett is going to be good.

Thad Young is his floor, imo, not his ceiling. Bennett's PER, right now, is better than all but 2 of Thad's seasons in the NBA (and those were only marginally better). Will he maintain it? I think he can and will. If he gets more shots later in the season (he almost certainly will), that will boost his PER. If he's allowed to shoot 3s at some point this season (he should), that will boost his PER. So even if his shooting percentage drops off a bit (he's shooting 53% from the floor right now which is crazy for a perimeter oriented big), he'll be able to boost his PER in other ways.

He's healthy, something we only saw a glimpse of last season. He's in shape, something he wasn't close to last season. Yet somehow people still think he's the guy fumbling the ball around in the paint and clanking open 3s, instead of the guy with big, soft paws and a ton of skill that he was in college.

he was fat in his rookie season, it was stupid throwing him in.
I see him as a 20/10 player soon enough
who could we have thrown in instead of Bennet in that trade?

Last edited:
I love how some people are over-critical of Bennett to the point where it's obvious they don't want him & Wiggins to succeed, because that would raise a lot of 'WHAT IFs'. And those are excruciating, especially for a franchise that has never won a chip. This is only an outsider's opinion though, so take it for what it is.
Not calling you out in particular as I've seen this several times now but when did 'ship start getting spelled chip.

The Timberwolves are 3-9, giving up the second most points per game in the league and are about 3-4 years away from being any sort of real threat to make the playoffs in the West. They have become a worse defensive team after trading Kevin Love.

How lucky they are.

They have as much of a shot at a top pick as any other bottom feeder. How is being a really shitty ball club lucky?

It doesn't matters if they suck now they just got a promising young talent for a guy who was leaving and couldn't get them close to the playoffs.

If we got wiggins/Bennet for lebron when he left we would have been throwing a party they got the most talent from a star player leaving so yes they are lucky.

Why did we give a 1st round pick as well just wondering

We may never know for certain, but my impression was that Cavs gave up a number 1 pick so that they could complete the deal before the season started. After the Heat signed Bosh, the pick they gave up was a lot less valuable than it was on July 12th. Cavs probably didn't give up such a huge asset here, but you also hate to waste assets.

Bennett has been playing a lot better this year than last, which is very promising and pretty much a necessity if he wants to have an NBA career, but ...
  1. He's still losing games for the team because his defense is still a bigger liability than his offense. But in his favor, he's not losing games as quickly as most of the other guys on that team.
  2. He's still not giving solid value for the $ compared to many MLE veteran free agents. If the choice was Bennett or cap space, it's hard to say Bennett is the way to go unless you are certain that he's going to keep getting better.
  3. He's only played 211 minutes so far, which is a pretty light work load. Let's check back when he gets to 500 minutes. We might have a real trend by that point. I'll need to see some more good performances before I stop paying attention to the lingering possibility of regression.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say it was possible. I didn't mean to curse the poor kid.. rough week.

4 minutes... 0 points... 1 rebound... Against the worst team in the league... The trajectory is not clearly UP, at this point.

Something about leopards and spots goes here.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400578562

Anthony Bennett played just less than four minutes in the game, with coach Flip Saunders saying he was upset with Bennett's effort.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/284706061.html

--After the game Saunders pledged to sit players who didn’t play hard, or players who continued to make the same mistakes over and over again. It won’t be easy, given the team’s injury situation. But Saunders sounded like a coach who’d just about had it after this loss. Tonight Anthony Bennett was benched after playing just 3½ minutes. So it has already began.

Last edited:
Both his and Wiggins comments leading up to the draft and replying to questions after just struck me as guys who didn't have star potential.

Neither of them seemed to have the "it" factor the greats do. Funny thing is that if you look back at it, I'd venture to guess a massive portion of the greats weren't first picks anyways. Certainly the case at the top of the league currently.

Thorpe's rankings for sophomores:
1. Gorgui Dieng, Timberwolves
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks
3. Shabazz Muhammad, Timberwolves
4. Dennis Schroder, Hawks
5. Rudy Gobert, Jazz
6. Kelly Olynyk, Celtics
7. Victor Oladipo, Magic
8. Michael Carter-Williams, 76ers
9. Anthony Bennett, Timberwolves
10. Otto Porter, Wizards

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11982370/best-second-year-players

Like Muhammad, Bennett changed his body and now sports a terrific frame for an NBA power forward. He can now make athletic plays and owns many of the Wolves' dunking highlights from this season. His great hands also help him on the defensive glass, though he isn't involved enough in offensive rebounding because he likes to float on the perimeter. He's still too quick to shoot jumpers, but at least he's making more shots from all parts of the court and not just looking for 3s.

He still shows significant upside as a power player and now needs to value making more of his living in the paint with occasional forays to the perimeter. If that happens, Minnesota has its power forward of the future and a perfect complement to its future center (Dieng) and small forward (Andrew Wiggins).​

Thorpe's rankings for sophomores:
1. Gorgui Dieng, Timberwolves
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks
3. Shabazz Muhammad, Timberwolves
4. Dennis Schroder, Hawks
5. Rudy Gobert, Jazz
6. Kelly Olynyk, Celtics
7. Victor Oladipo, Magic
8. Michael Carter-Williams, 76ers
10. Otto Porter, Wizards

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11982370/best-second-year-players

Like Muhammad, Bennett changed his body and now sports a terrific frame for an NBA power forward. He can now make athletic plays and owns many of the Wolves' dunking highlights from this season. His great hands also help him on the defensive glass, though he isn't involved enough in offensive rebounding because he likes to float on the perimeter. He's still too quick to shoot jumpers, but at least he's making more shots from all parts of the court and not just looking for 3s.

He still shows significant upside as a power player and now needs to value making more of his living in the paint with occasional forays to the perimeter. If that happens, Minnesota has its power forward of the future and a perfect complement to its future center (Dieng) and small forward (Andrew Wiggins).​

Haha does Thorpe not know ben Mclemore is a sophomore. Not having him ranked let alone not in the top 5 makes the list laughable. 11.7/3.3/1.1 on 54/40/87 shooting all while playing great defense holding oppents shooting to 5% below there average. Since November 5 he's averaging 14-4 shooting 52/41/86

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."