• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Dion Waiters Traded

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grade the Trade (Waiters + Kirk/Amundsen + 2nd rd pick for Smith, Shumpert, and 1st rd pick)

• A+

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • A

Votes: 68 26.7%
  • B

Votes: 106 41.6%
  • C

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • D

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • F

Votes: 9 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but he is the next summer, and it is tougher to trade him the closer he gets to an FA (over)payday. The later he is acquired, the more of a rental he becomes, and the less we can get for him in trade.

it also gives him more time to create value either for us or another team. He hasn't had the same coach/system 2 years in a row since he came into the league. He hasn't even really had the same teammates. What'd we have 9 new players last year and 10 new players this year.

Yes, he's had some issues, but there's really no rush to send him out. Especially with his value as low as it is right now.

it also gives him more time to create value either for us or another team. He hasn't had the same coach/system 2 years in a row since he came into the league. He hasn't even really had the same teammates. What'd we have 9 new players last year and 10 new players this year.

Yes, he's had some issues, but there's really no rush to send him out. Especially with his value as low as it is right now.

Except you can make the same excuse for every young guy on the team. Kyrie has shown improvement, and nobody sees the need to make similar excuses for Thompson or Dellavedova. Why should we keep making excuses for Dion?

You're right about the rush, but i was advocating moving him at the deadline, not today. Someone is probably going to overpay for him when he hits FA, so I'd rather move him now than get nothing, or get less, later.

If he hasn't increased his value by the deadline, then he may be nearly out of the rotation anyway.

I never actually watched the Wiz game and now watchng the replay you could tell Dion was gonna have a good game. His body language was amazing.

Also Kyrie needs to be given praise for his defense and pace. Kid has bought in 100%

Best case Dion scenario is still showcasing him and swindling a team looking for a scorer.
i never understood the "showcasing" concept and frankly don't think it really exists in this context. teams know who he is; getting hot for one or two dozen games probably isn't going to change a whole lot.

could a team still buy into the hype and disregard that the negatives have outweighed the positives for him in his career thus far? yeah, maybe. or, they'll offer a fair deal based on his true value - probably less than what quite a few here expect - and then the onus is on the cavs to decide whether they still believe or they see dion for what he is and prefer to swap for someone that fits better.

But how much actual improvement have we really seen from Dion since he entered the league? Defensively, sure. But otherwise, he seems to be basically the same guy he was his rookie season, with the same basic issues. That kind of "potential" isn't as valuable as with guys whose improvement has been consistent

The other factor in terms of Dion's value around the league are the perceived negatives he brings apart from the raw stats. Fairly or not, there is inarguably a perception that he sulks, is a malcontent, etc.. That makes him the opposite of guys like Jack who are generally believed to add value in addition to their statistical contributions.

But at least as things stand right now, i'd still guess that some team, probably one with a losing record that is just trying to put a few more butts in the seats, will overpay him to the tune of $10 million or so. That's something we'd be fools to match, so I hope we get something for him at the deadline.
i feel bad for fans of any team that thinks dion waiters will "put a few more butts in the seats."

Except you can make the same excuse for every young guy on the team. Kyrie has shown improvement, and nobody sees the need to make similar excuses for Thompson or Dellavedova. Why should we keep making excuses for Dion?

You're right about the rush, but i was advocating moving him at the deadline, not today. Someone is probably going to overpay for him when he hits FA, so I'd rather move him now than get nothing, or get less, later.

If he hasn't increased his value by the deadline, then he may be nearly out of the rotation anyway.

People were talking about Thompson like this a few games in and then he started playing better and blocking a few shots. No one is praising him now, but cries of trade him will return when he has some bad games again.

This exact thing went on all last year with Dion until feb when people said, "omg Allstar! Clutch kid don't trade him." He was playing super solid with Delly and contributing big time to wins that made us over .500 after the Hawes trade or maybe even the deng one?

They won't trade him before the deadline. I'm gonna give Dion at least as long as K Love Allstar, top 5 NBA player, above average defender, and best rebounder/stretch 4 in the league to get his shit together.

I'm also going to wait to pass judgement on him until his external BBiq "Delly" returns.

Maybe he isn't that great a player, but he is a lot better than he is playing right now.

I'm gonna give Dion at least as long as K Love Allstar, top 5 NBA player, above average defender, and best rebounder/stretch 4 in the league to get his shit together.

People keep saying this and the problem is that Kevin Love has proven himself over multiple years as an all-star level player while Waiters has yet to prove himself as anything more than an easily replaceable player that can be found in every free agent class.

People keep saying this and the problem is that Kevin Love has proven himself over multiple years as an all-star level player while Waiters has yet to prove himself as anything more than an easily replaceable player that can be found in every free agent class.

What Waiters has proven over his last two seasons is that he's a slow starter who really hits his stride after New Year, so shouldn't we at least give him the benefit of the doubt until then? He was terrific for us in the latter half of the season last year, and you know he's going to be invaluable as a replacement for Kyrie when Kyrie sits his usual games due to random injury x.

Isnt Dion also a victim of the new look offense where he is more a side player than back in the days when he was our Russell Westbrook Light ?

He needs to improve his attitude on the court. One play that stood out in the game was when Love drove baseline and Scola took a charge. Dion was on the other side of the court performing his usual dance ritual where he waves his arms in the air asking the Gods for rain. After the turnover, you could see Dion was pissed that Love didn't pass him the ball because he was open. Once upon a time, a coach said, "there's a reason why you're always open, because you can't shoot."

Another game in which it looks like Dion may not fit on the team.

Reactions: Zen
-18 in a blowout win and played mediocre defense again IMHO...

Eh, he's just not a good player and there's really no point in complaining about it at this point. Much like Will Cherry or Joe Harris (who will hopefully be good one day) he's just not a difference maker. Oh well. Life goes on.

Another night, another party in the Dion thread. See you guys tomorrow night. And the night after that. And the night after that.

The changes that people want to see in the players game, do they think those happen overnight or in the course of one game.

Hopefully Dion gets it together and finds a way to better blend and fit the team while also relaxing, accepting his role, enjoying being on a great team.

He just needs to understand that he can impact the game without having the ball in his hands. Like, start off with getting more fricken rebounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."