• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Sony Hack...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Starting a war? They just won a cyberwar. What an awful precedent that was just set.

Truthfully, it's more like China won... I have doubts that North Koreans have the savvy to do that; at least not without the help of China.

I liken China's involvement in this kind of like how the angels served the Angels in Angels in the Outfield.. (No, I'm not saying anything about the hackers being angels..)

Starting a war? They just won a cyberwar. What an awful precedent that was just set.
Not sure I'd classify this as a "cyberwar". The response and action taken would be a bit different if the cyber attack wasn't focused on a Japanese based company producing a movie.

Not sure I'd classify this as a "cyberwar". The response and action taken would be a bit different if the cyber attack wasn't focused on a Japanese based company producing a movie.

This is the very definition of it- the hackers stole 20 terrabytes of info. They have Sony y the balls. This is extortion on a high level.

They just managed to censor a movie from being released in our country. They have released the personal information of Americans whose offense was working for a company that made a movie NK didn't like. One woman's career- whose email the hackers used to release info to journalists- has been ruined. Who knows how much money was lost by the theatres who will never get to show the movies that were released. Sorry but this is huge. I'm as anti corporate as a Occupy Wall Street protest but this has crossed the line.

So how long til The Interview leaks onto the internet? I wanna watch that shit...

So how long til The Interview leaks onto the internet? I wanna watch that shit...

I kind of wanted to see it too, but I have no doubt it won't live up to the hype.

How crazy would it be if this was just a publicity stunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk at your local pub.

They threatened attacks comparable to 9/11 if it gets shown in the US. :conf (11):

The point is that a precedent has been set. Hack + then threaten = get what you want. The only question is, who will be next? It won't be just this group either. Every group now sees that it works.

Dennis_Rodman_with__467476b.jpg

Give him what he wants... we don't need it anymore.

They should allow the movie to be downloaded free and reach numbers the theatrical release can only dream of. Everyone is safe at home watching it. Pour more advertising into it. Letting them win makes me feel sick.

Put it on Crackle Sony...

You want publicity for your crappy streaming service. Make it a Crackle exclusive. Problem solved.

never should have canceled the release

They should release it on some type of PPV and donate the proceeds to a human rights activist organization. Hell, they should've responded to the attack by still releasing it AND giving profit to a cause directly going at NK's crimes.

Spineless for Sony to attribute their actions (of cancelling the release) to theaters not wanting to show it. Sony, you collapsed under pressure. Don't put it on the theater chains.

In before Obama is blamed.

Oblama

Hang on a second...

If there were attacks in theaters, wouldn't Sony And the theaters showing it have some liability if they'd been made aware of the threat and released it anyways? I'm asking because I'm not certain. If they could be found liable...

Can you imagine the amount of lawsuits there would be if people were killed or injured, especially if it was at multiple theaters? Even if they weren't found liable, it would be devastating from a marketing aspect. If they were found liable and had to pay out Thousands of families, I'd imagine it would put Sony under in a week. At best, it would be a huge marketing hit. As for the theaters, likely the same issue. They've all got stockholders they're beholden to.

Might be a hard pill for the American public to swallow, but it's the right decision for a COMPANY to make. Could be a different story if it's a government decision, because they're protected against us.

I don't think Sony is. And if they aren't, then other businesses wouldn't be either. I agree that the way to handle this if they cancel, is to make a profit on it by streaming immediately and offering Americans some kind of discount or additional incentive to buy. This way there's no risk of harm to people in a public setting, but they still make the statement that they'll make a profit and we'll buy the product.

Reactions: KB
Someone is always going to try to sue, but I'm not sure of liability when it comes to terrorist threats...

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."