• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Kevin Love - Miami Ground Machine

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Kevin Love a Hero for Saving a Dog?

• Yes

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Too Right!

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Hotter than Jimmy G

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Jim Chones

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters
The thing is though that Love virtually never plays without LeBron also on the floor.

I see only 2 of the top 20 units, per 82games, includes Love but not James (total of 19 minutes), and those are probably mostly due to the fact LeBron missed a game.

That's a good point. I think Blatt has them on the floor at the same time so that LeBron will ensure Love gets his touches. Also, this allows Kyrie to get his own shots when LeBron and Love are off the floor.

LeBron is the #1 option on the team and he should be. LeBron has and is sacrificing a lot in order to make everything work on the offense. It's a big burden, being both the best scorer and the best distributor and having to lead guys who have never won championships. I think he's doing great with it.

This is why I don't get worried about the "LeBron decline" talk. Once everyone and everything gets up to speed, I think LeBron will look like himself, if a slightly less athletic version. We can already see this starting to happen now.

This would be a dream come true at this point. We would be the favorite to win it all then. But we really do need that tough center to back up Love, even more so than a SG I think.

Just hope Love sticks around past this year... I mean we took a huge risk trading so much for a guy that's not even guaranteed to stay. And if KL really wanted to come, he might have been willing to just join up next year and we might have been able to keep Wiggins, Bennet and the pick, imagine that...

I also can't help but think that Minnesota probably would have accepted the trade without throwing the pick in considering KL was likely going to leave within a year. They played hard ball and we kinda folded a bit on that one. Just keep on playing fast and loose for quick gains instead of long and safe.

That Miami pick looks damn good right about now if Miami doesn't tank. Oh well.

Pfft Giving Miamis 1st round pick is just insane, If we do give a 1st round pick why not memphis?

Pfft Giving Miamis 1st round pick is just insane, If we do give a 1st round pick why not memphis?

Because you have to look at how this team can improve beyond just this year. That Memphis pick has some very unique protections on it where it loses protection at the high part of the draft (Top 5 picks) over time whereas the pick is also protected from playoff spots (16-30). This means that if Memphis makes the playoffs, we can opt to not take their pick and wait until the following year up until a certain point in time (2017, I believe).

All it takes is a significant injury or the wear-down of that Memphis team and one bad year which can result in a high lottery pick while the Cavs are contending. The Miami pick had value, but it's protected more on the lottery end and the pick is likely to be a middle of the pack pick over time (#13-20).

That Memphis pick has a LOT of value around the league. It can be used to draft a good young player or to package it to nab a great piece to fit into the contending core we currently have. It's not even close honestly.

EDIT: Here are the protections on that pick:

2015 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 and 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019 [Cleveland-Memphis, 1/22/2013]

Because you have to look at how this team can improve beyond just this year. That Memphis pick has some very unique protections on it where it loses protection at the high part of the draft (Top 5 picks) over time whereas the pick is also protected from playoff spots (16-30). This means that if Memphis makes the playoffs, we can opt to not take their pick and wait until the following year up until a certain point in time (2017, I believe).

All it takes is a significant injury or the wear-down of that Memphis team and one bad year which can result in a high lottery pick while the Cavs are contending. The Miami pick had value, but it's protected more on the lottery end and the pick is likely to be a middle of the pack pick over time (#13-20).

That Memphis pick has a LOT of value around the league. It can be used to draft a good young player or to package it to nab a great piece to fit into the contending core we currently have. It's not even close honestly.

EDIT: Here are the protections on that pick:

2015 first round draft pick from Memphis
Memphis' 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 and 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019 [Cleveland-Memphis, 1/22/2013]

thank you for that informative answer :)
Does anyone know or speculates if giving up the 1st round pick to the 76ers was a must in order to get Love?
I mean, Cavs gave up alot, I doubt Cavs would have waited for his contract to expire since it puts the Cavs at too much of a risk since he might have gone to Lakers/Warrios.
The other option was to wait till January and see how it goes Since I'm pretty sure Love would have been available till then, but that may have been bad in terms of chemistry.
I think we could have given up less / gained more if the Cavs had waited but there is no doubt in my mind that Wiggins + Bennet for Love is a good

No, it wasn't a must to give up that pick, but we decided to give them more than they asked for.

We could not have waited until he was a free agent because we are over the cap and could not have signed him outright.

Somebody tell K Love to blow his nose, swallow a glass of cement and step on the floor tonight. We need his production!

MIA pick is top 10 protected, not a significant loss and I expect them to make the playoffs anyway.

Horrific defense from Love tonight, gotta at least have some effort but can't just single him out, the whole team was bad.

It was bad but I suppose he was sick although that doesn't excuse all the other times. He did put up 9/5/4 in the first quarter, i.e., the quarter when he looks like the GOAT, and then didn't get many touches, missed some threes, and we got blown the fuck out.

Is something up with his conditioning? He is a beast in the first quarter of most games and all of a sudden his jumpers become flat and off.

Obviously the whole team was terrible, but Love's defense was especially atrocious. The Wolves board lied to me...they said that his problems were overstated and that he was AVERAGE on defense :banghead:

Kevin's gotten down to a proper body fat %, but this 243 shit ain't gonna cut it. It's not like he needs to keep at a low weight in order to move fast or have a high vertical because he already doesn't really move fast or jump. I think adding about 12 more lbs of dead-solid muscle would do wonders for his game. That, and just putting a hand up when defending.

Kevin's gotten down to a proper body fat %, but this 243 shit ain't gonna cut it. It's not like he needs to keep at a low weight in order to move fast or have a high vertical because he already doesn't really move fast or jump. I think adding about 12 more lbs of dead-solid muscle would do wonders for his game. That, and just putting a hand up when defending.

He has shown better movement when he drives to the basket and has shown an ability to put the ball on the floor and some of that has to do with his new body.

He's not as dominant a rebounder now with the slimmer body. Yes, he's out on the perimeter a lot so he can't grab dem ORebs as he did before, but he's getting out positioned and muscled more often now: he used to be an absolute terror a MENACE on the boards with his energy rebounding.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."