• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Corey Brewer Traded to Houston

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Though he isn't the greatest shooter, he can hit an occasional open shot to the point where defences wouldn't take a chance staying too far away from him. And he can finish at the rim (strong at times). He can also play physical defense, though he does cheat off the ball more than most defenders. He's a huge upgrade over Marion to the starting lineup. Marion slides to the 3 spot off the bench and provides much needed defense when LeBron sits.

are you sure about that? i haven't come across a Timberwolves fan yet who didn't think Brewer is an overrated defender (he gambles a ton) and he doesn't really improve the main area we're struggling with when Marion is in there and that's shooting (Brewer has made 8 threes all season...).

maybe i'm in the minority with this but imo Marion has been exactly as advertised when it comes to defense, he is probably our 3rd best defender this season (behind Lebron & TT).

the one thing Brewer would give us is more depth and that's nice but as far as fit goes he's far from perfect imo. it will probably all come down to the price, if i was running the front office i wouldn't give up a 1st for him but if the Rockets offer the Knicks 2nd round pick how are the Cavs supposed to beat that unless they offer a 1st?

are you sure about that? i haven't come across a Timberwolves fan yet who didn't think Brewer is an overrated defender (he gambles a ton) and he doesn't really improve the main area we're struggling with when Marion is in there and that's shooting (Brewer has made 8 threes all season...).

maybe i'm in the minority with this but imo Marion has been exactly as advertised when it comes to defense, he is probably our 3rd best defender this season (behind Lebron & TT).

the one thing Brewer would give us is more depth and that's nice but as far as fit goes he's far from perfect imo. it will probably all come down to the price, if i was running the front office i wouldn't give up a 1st for him but if the Rockets offer the Knicks 2nd round pick how are the Cavs supposed to beat that unless they offer a 1st?
I think it balances out our rotations better. Marion > Brewer, but Brewer the starting 2 guard > Marion the starting 2 guard.

With a legit backup SF, Blatt should be able to stagger the minutes of LeBron, Kyrie and Love better. Also would cut down on LeBron and Marion's minutes.

Last edited:

I still think he opens up the floor for LeBron a little more. Marion gets WIDE open looks. If he didn't, that shot would be blocked every single time. I think if Brewer got the same quality open looks, he'd make them at a higher clip. Obviously Brewer isn't who I want on this team, but I feel like he has the ability to provide more on both ends of the floor overall than Marion. He damn sure runs the floor better. Ideally, we'd get a guy like Mathews. Maybe take a chance on Dorell Wright or someone. But this team needs a guy who can stretch the floor and play good defense. Marion has the guard part of shooting guard down.

With the shots Marion is getting, a good shooter would be 50%. We need someone who isn't Marion to start.

clippers now in the mix. Its doubtful we land him and if we do it will cost a first rounder

I still think he opens up the floor for LeBron a little more. Marion gets WIDE open looks. If he didn't, that shot would be blocked every single time. I think if Brewer got the same quality open looks, he'd make them at a higher clip.

I don't really see how you can say that. Brewer is a career 29% 3 pt shooter. Marion is a career 33% 3 pt shooter.

Brewer has played for a variety of teams over his 8 year career in the NBA.

I wouldn't mind having Brewer, but he has consistently been a poor shooter, and that won't change once he is traded, regardless of who he is traded to.

Brewer is one of the fastest players in the nba. Thats why him and love connected on fast breaks so often. He isn't a great shooter but you can't leave him alone. He would immediately become our 2nd best defender . I think he would mesh well with our starter's he will mostly score off the break and cutting to the rim. he is a good finisher which would be a breathe of fresh air after watching marion and dion miss at the rim so much.. I'm hoping for this trade personally. i don't see us getting a better player for the trade exception.

I haven't looked at any real list but one of the problems is Marion at the 2..he was supposed to be Lebron's sub but playing the two you get nothing except some defense.
He can't sub for Lebron if he's playing the 2guard.

Griff has his work cut out because he's got to get a 2 who plays some gritty D.

Thanks for trading all of our assets with no care in the world Griffin! :banghead:

Well damn. Would have liked to see him on the Cavs.

I don't really see how you can say that. Brewer is a career 29% 3 pt shooter. Marion is a career 33% 3 pt shooter.

Brewer has played for a variety of teams over his 8 year career in the NBA.

I wouldn't mind having Brewer, but he has consistently been a poor shooter, and that won't change once he is traded, regardless of who he is traded to.

Again, the quality of looks Marion gets vs the quality of looks Brewer gets are completely different at any point in their careers because his jumpshot just isn't respectable. It's the same thing with Andy. They'll live with the jumpers. But Andy has actually started making them, and I think he'd actually average a ton more points if that was the only play they ran for him. In terms of Brewer, I mostly see him guarded closely because his jumper and his drive 'look' more respectable. For Marion, you don't even need to put your hands up until he's under the basket. People just let him have whatever he wants beyond that, which is why he should be a lot better at it.

Anyway, now that Brewer has been traded, we're going to have to look hard at other defensive/off the ball player options.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."