• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Johnny Manziel: Swan Won't Return His Calls

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Mike and Mike had an interesting stat. Manziel is 12 and 14 when throwing within 3 seconds out of 27 total attempts. Although i fully expect that stat to come down and do think we will see Manziel holding the ball far less.

Mike and Mike had an interesting stat. Manziel is 12 and 14 when throwing within 3 seconds out of 27 total attempts. Although i fully expect that stat to come down and do think we will see Manziel holding the ball far less.

and how many yards? this stat accounts for all but 3 of his career competitions. of his 143 total passing yards, i would be curious how many yards those 12 competitions account for. i would guess around 100.

This just looks like an instance of rookies lacking prep... I know Pett doesn't like to "micromanage" his guys, but perhaps, the assistants should do a little of that with the rookies.

B5BND1UCIAAUSpd.jpg

Last edited:
I figured Manziel would show adequate arm strength yesterday. The noodle arm showing has me concerned. He could have avoided the two picks with some drive on the ball.

He had happy feet. He needs to plant his back foot and he just was not doing that at all Sunday.

Maybe once he becomes a little more comfortable he will have better mechanics. He was basically running for his life a lot of the time. Cincinnati outplayed us in every facet.

If you want a rookie QB to succeed in this league, you need to have solid performances around him. That did not happen.

He had happy feet. He needs to plant his back foot and he just was not doing that at all Sunday.

Maybe once he becomes a little more comfortable he will have better mechanics. He was basically running for his life a lot of the time. Cincinnati outplayed us in every facet.

If you want a rookie QB to succeed in this league, you need to have solid performances around him. That did not happen.

Agree. And I also think this is one of the best things that could happen to Manziel. He needed that rude awakening after what he did in college. He's going to watch that tape and wonder what he was doing the whole game, realizing he has a ton of work to put in. Say he never got these 3 games (maybe not even 3), who's to say that he goes into the offseason working just as hard? It's incredibly valuable for him to see where he's at, everything he's doing wrong, and how he could improve. If he never gets playing time during the regular season, he probably comes into next year assuming that he could dominate like he did in college. I'm very excited for Sunday to see how he responds.

i'm still concerned that it appears as though he didn't put in the effort before he was named starter. He was one play away all year. How can you NOT prepare like you're getting in the game?

Yea I find that was glossed over. Coaches were quoted saying his preparation and work ethic was ramped up once he was named the starter. A rookie QB with so much to learn should subscribe to the first in last out philosophy whether you are playing or on the bench learning.

but the majority of the time he was running for his life, when he didnt need to. he was playing scared out there and it showed. he absolutely and totally shit a fucking brick.

as was said many times in the game thread, the browns lost because the defense sucked. but the offense had 107 yards on offense, and thats on manziel. the browns had 107 yards on offense on sunday. let that sink in. most of that blame falls squarely, and rightfully so on the unprepared rookie QB

Yea I find that was glossed over. Coaches were quoted saying his preparation and work ethic was ramped up once he was named the starter. A rookie QB with so much to learn should subscribe to the first in last out philosophy whether you are playing or on the bench learning.

It's definitely pathetic, but I think after Sunday's performance he's realized that he wasn't preparing the right way and how far behind it has left him.

Hopefully it will make him realize that he needs to stay here most, if not all, of the summer instead of living the frat boy party life.

All you can ask of people that make mistakes is that they learn from them. Only time will tell if his many rookie mistakes have truly sunk in and will be corrected.

It's definitely pathetic, but I think after Sunday's performance he's realized that he wasn't preparing the right way and how far behind it has left him.

Hopefully it will make him realize that he needs to stay here most, if not all, of the summer instead of living the frat boy party life.

All you can ask of people that make mistakes is that they learn from them. Only time will tell if his many rookie mistakes have truly sunk in and will be corrected.
He doesn't seem to respond to people telling him what to do. Maybe you are right, maybe he has to fail in order to learn and change behaviors.

but the majority of the time he was running for his life, when he didnt need to. he was playing scared out there and it showed. he absolutely and totally shit a fucking brick.

as was said many times in the game thread, the browns lost because the defense sucked. but the offense had 107 yards on offense, and thats on manziel. the browns had 107 yards on offense on sunday. let that sink in. most of that blame falls squarely, and rightfully so on the unprepared rookie QB

I never attributed running for his life to anyone. My bad. It was mostly him having happy feet. Like a lot of rookies making their first start do.

Yes offensively Manziel was horrible depsite a great performance by the line and running backs.

The same line and running game that couldnt manage 3rd and 2.

Sundays gae was a complete offensive and defensive failure.

Manziel had a great week of practice but game day is a diferent animal no matter how prepared you are. the guy was in at 7 am and out at 7 pm all week. that shows a solid work ethic.

Maziel knows he was holding onto the ball too long.. he didnt have to watch any video to recognize it and spoke towards it right away. Last Sunday is gone and past. it time to focus next week and what improvements Manziel can show on the field.

One of the things that defines us a people is our ability to handle failure. For Johnny, last week was essentially his first taste of it. He got away with a bunch of bad habits in college that are exposed at the pro level. It was a failure of epic proportions, with the only argument being If it smelled like a 2 square mile manure farm or a 3 square mile manure farm after a down pour.

How he comes out this week will speak volumes about it. Does he end up being just as skittish? Is he just as lost this upcoming week despite an entire week of hard work studying in the NFL? Does he rally his teammates, or do they quit on him again after seeing he has no idea what is going on? Does he respond to that by getting the same 'I'm screwed' look I his face and in this body language?

Some of the best fight prospects in boxing, mma and wrestling end up never the same after they lose the first time. They never shake that doubt. So how does someone like Manziel, who is about as brash as they come, respond to being actually humbled*? We find out. He either recovers after an awful debut like John Elway did, or he goes down the path of other rough starts like Spergon Wynn, Ryan Leaf, Art Schlichter, Andre Ware, Gino Toretta, etc.

*As in the actual meaning of the word 'humble', not the bizarre definition LBJ has for it.

The only thing I expect from Johnny this week is to not make throws like that second interception. That's a very tangible lesson that he should have learned last week.

Even with a week of hard preparation, I'm not sure if he can master the playbook that quickly or be able to pick up defensive schemes with ease, but he should now know that chucking balls up won't work at this level.

After a summer of proper preparation, I think the other things should then be expected and whether or not he lives up to those expectations and performs will give us the required time and information to know whether we should move forward with Johnny.

EDIT: Basically, what I'm saying is that no one should expect a complete 180 from last week. He's still a rookie and will still not be able to do all the things that a vet could, but there are some basic fixes he should be able to make after last week's debacle.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."