• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Dion Waiters Traded

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grade the Trade (Waiters + Kirk/Amundsen + 2nd rd pick for Smith, Shumpert, and 1st rd pick)

• A+

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • A

Votes: 68 26.7%
  • B

Votes: 106 41.6%
  • C

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • D

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • F

Votes: 9 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps blatt felt the starters needed more time together on the court and preferred having delly running point while kyrie rested. its part of being on the bench

Lol, teams are getting bargains on top notch players like Rondo while the Cavs overpaid for a player that wasn't even gonna sign next year :D
Ainge made our deal of acquiring Love look bad lol.
Eventhough I think Wiggins is a bad player right now, damn how did the Rockets get Corey for so cheap :/
Rondo is coming off a ACL tear while shooting 30% from the free throw line. Corey Brewer is not much of a good player except for his defensive purposes, he can't shoot, can't dribble, and is turnover prone. The Wolves got great value out of him considering how inept he is on the offensive side of the ball. So I disagree with the notion that the Rockets got a great deal, but he is what they needed and Boston has been trying to trade Rondo for years.

Yeah its clearly the coaches fault that Dion has a terrible attitude.

Terrible attitude? By who's opinion? Yourself? NBA players are like any professional players, ego driven primies who think they are God. Whether Dion, Lebron or James Harden. If you allow that to cloud your judgement as a head coach, you aren't cut out for it. Dion is hardly the worst and when you feel disrespected, you aren't going to have the best composition like he did for several games before the first Nets experience. Dion has went from considered one of the key cogs after the "big 3" to just a bench guy despite saying this was going to take a dozen or two games to click. Benched after 3, playing time cut back despite Lebron not in playing shape yet(which was the big problem early).

I would say Blatt is picking on Dion like a college coach. Brown didn't like Dion at first either, but never disrespected his role..........I would say, like that has been quoted in the Blatt thread, he plays way to much on emotion in a professional league like the NBA. To much of a college type mentality. It will kill him in the end if he doesn't watch it.

Terrible attitude? By who's opinion? Yourself? NBA players are like any professional players, ego driven primies who think they are God. Whether Dion, Lebron or James Harden. If you allow that to cloud your judgement as a head coach, you aren't cut out for it. Dion is hardly the worst and when you feel disrespected, you aren't going to have the best composition like he did for several games before the first Nets experience. Dion has went from considered one of the key cogs after the "big 3" to just a bench guy despite saying this was going to take a dozen or two games to click. Benched after 3, playing time cut back despite Lebron not in playing shape yet(which was the big problem early).

I would say Blatt is picking on Dion like a college coach. Brown didn't like Dion at first either, but never disrespected his role..........I would say, like that has been quoted in the Blatt thread, he plays way to much on emotion in a professional league like the NBA. To much of a college type mentality. It will kill him in the end if he doesn't watch it.

Dion has the worst on court attitude of any player I have seen, if you are trying to defend his attitude you are just simply being disingenuous.

All of the things you list are reasons for his attitude are caused by Dion himself.

Looking at a bunch of players' early career stats, it's striking how many NBA players don't begin to hit their true potential until year 3. Durant, Melo, Danny Green, Anthony Davis, Serge Ibaka.

Dion is still immature but there's been flashes of what he could be. His value would be highest next year. By that time the Cavs will know what Love decided to do.

If the Cavs wanted, they'd also have the option to pull off a Spurs/Pacers draft day trade.

Lol, teams are getting bargains on top notch players like Rondo while the Cavs overpaid for a player that wasn't even gonna sign next year :D
Ainge made our deal of acquiring Love look bad lol.
Eventhough I think Wiggins is a bad player right now, damn how did the Rockets get Corey for so cheap :/

That's some good analysis there.

perhaps blatt felt the starters needed more time together on the court and preferred having delly running point while kyrie rested. its part of being on the bench

Miller was also on fire. He played 33 mins. Last night was a production of what Mike Miller was doing over what Dion wasn't.

Dion's main problem is that he has delusions of grandeur , and next to no humulity . If he could get the idea that he's some sort of star player being held back by his coaches out of his head and accept that his talent level is more along the lines of a Jamal Crawford type than an actual all-star/superstar then he could help the team.

Last edited:
The great Bradley Beal has a PER of 13
I'm not quite sure when per became the go to stat for player comparisons, but it is flawed and never has it been more evident than when comparing these two players; especially with the role we are looking to fill at shooting guard.

Bradley beal would be a godsend for this team.

How he wouldnt get the ball? they wouldnt pass it out to him when he had open looks. if anything Bradley would be worse at least Dion can create.

As far as miller goes. he was 7 of 8 from three point land and they stopped feeding him for a quarter and half.

if what the cavs need is someone to go 7 of 8 from e point land every game .. they arent gonna get that. Beasley would be an afterthought in the offense as its currently is being ran.

Looking at a bunch of players' early career stats, it's striking how many NBA players don't begin to hit their true potential until year 3. Durant, Melo, Danny Green, Anthony Davis, Serge Ibaka.

Dion is still immature but there's been flashes of what he could be. His value would be highest next year. By that time the Cavs will know what Love decided to do.

If the Cavs wanted, they'd also have the option to pull off a Spurs/Pacers draft day trade.

I admire your optimism but this a bit nutty.

1. Durant, Melo, Davis, and Ibaka all started their careers playing at a higher level than Dion. (Green is his own bizarre story that doesn't fit the Dion story, either, but in different ways, let's put him aside for a moment.)

2. They all continued to improve. Each was better in their second year than their first. By their third year in the league, they were far better than their first year.

2a. Clear and consistent improvement is different than "flashes." Dion has a good game here, or there. Or a good shot/drive/assist/defensive series, a bunch of one-offs that mostly exist in isolation.

3. With Durant, Melo, Davis, and Ibaka, you could see both their potential and then, most importantly, them converting that potential into daily NBA performance as early as their rookie years, then more so in their second year, and then even more so by their third. They quickly moved beyond the "flashes" stage.

4. Dion has done no such thing. He started horribly, truly one of the worst SG in the league his rookie year. Next year, he marginally improved, but not in any significant way. Then his third year, he collapsed back to his rookie levels --or maybe worse. At best, he still shows occasional "flashes."

This in no way, shape, or form conforms to the early career arcs of the players that you've named.

Is there a chance that Dion is a late bloomer? Or needs a wake-up call and then will become awesome?

Sure, there's always a chance.

(Keep in mind, even a second round pick like Danny Green --and rare NBA story -- broke through in his third NBA season.)

But Dion hasn't shown it yet. His first three years certainly bear no resemblance to Durant, Melo, Ibaka, or Davis...or hell, even Danny Green.

This is precisely the problem: most players who amount to much have progressed beyond the "flashes" stage by Season Three.

I'm sure somewhere out there is a counter-example (none of yours are) but once you find that example, ask yourself: this rare example is what percentage of the total pool?

If you want to argue that Dion still has an increasingly distant long-shot of breaking through, that's fine.

Who could disagree? I'm no fortune teller. It could happen.

I just know that comparing his early career to Durant, Melo, Ibaka, Green, or Davis is silly, giving us no real insight into Dion's situation or future potential.

Speaking of Durant, I was fortunate enough to catch him the year he played with the Longhorns in the post-season games. By the end of it, there wasn't a doubt in my mind that kid was gonna be the NBA's next superstar. Even now I like to watch him play. I just wish he wasn't with OKC because I don't like that organization.

Anyway I have to agree with Sir John on this one, Dion's "potential" isn't worth betting on. We're better off with someone who can produce consistently right now for the next few years anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."