• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Game 26 | Cavs (15-10) vs Grizzlies (21-5) | December 21, 2014 | 4:30pm EST

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Just thinking about how close we were to having Davis, LeBron, and Kyrie on the same roster. My god.

Edit: Was watching NOPE vs. OKC. That kid is amazing. There were several plays where I just thought wow, there might not be another guy in the NBA that can do that. All the lobs to the rim were woefully off target, but he made the play.

I don't think there is a player in the NBA that I wouldn't trade for him. Maybe, maybe Durant would be safe, but if it came to it, I would likely trade him too.

So close to having three generational talents.

Last edited:
I know I am late in this thread but I gotta post, no matter the time, how impressive of a win this was to me.

The Memphis Grizzlies, even with the likes of ZBO and Allen out, are a pretty formidable foe and I felt Cleveland set the tone and that to me was the most important factor. Sure, there were glimpses that the game slowed down but when Cleveland pushed it, it got the opponent on its heels and Cleveland is a faster team than Memphis, obviously.

I didn't know what to expect from this team today, we could have gotten the team that lost after leading by 18 against Toronto or the team that showed up and dismantled the Hawks in November. When I heard the guys out for the other squad, I felt this could be a let down and I was gladly proven wrong.

The pace was very key to Cleveland shooting 60.5% from the floor, the most that Grizzlies squad has given up in this season. As I type that I am cringing, the ball was just on point tonight and the movement and distribution was beautiful. I felt that even if no one was out for Memphis, if Cleveland played this type of game they still would have won. I mean, come on, with the assists. 34 on 46 made shots, damn that is impressive even if against the likes of the 76ers.

Gotta love a motivated squad, that fast pace set the tone for the rest of the game and found the likes of Waiters going for 21 and Andy for 18 against Gasol (didn't see that coming). Plus it took Memphis out of their game and they shot a lowly 45% from the floor and 6% from beyond the 3!

I'll keep stating this cause this bothers me so much,
Kevin Love's body language is really bad, he is looking tired, depressed and frustrated out there even if the team is winning convicingly..
Right now with the contribution he is giving I rather have Wiggin's fire and mentality regardless of scoring output.
Sucks to say it though

I miss Bennett most of all, from that trade. That dude's stroke is so smooth that he makes George Gervin look like Manute Bol.

11-3 in our last 14..

8 of those wins against playoff bound teams.

All 3 losses against playoff teams.1 of the losses without LBJ. The other two were against teams we've already beat. One was with 3 guys fighting food poisoning.

Sound better in perspective?

Who ARE you? I must know. You are like the Man in Black, from Princess Bride - totally unexpected fencing abilities.

jesus, does our schedule ever get easy?

in the next 20, we play:

gs
hou
atl
chi
lac
okc
port
Dal

..8 games against teams with a legitimate shot at the finals.. combined record of 138-48, or .742

btw dallas jjust got better. OKC just got a shit ton better. Dwight Howard is back in Houston.

And Corey Brewer just went to Houston.

11-3 in our last 14..

8 of those wins against playoff bound teams.

All 3 losses against playoff teams.1 of the losses without LBJ. The other two were against teams we've already beat. One was with 3 guys fighting food poisoning.

Sound better in perspective?

But Windy says we can not beat elite western teams and we are not looking good and Drama is eating us up and the sky is falling!!

To quote LeBron "It's we first. Then we. Then we. Then we. Then we. Then we. And then me."

Kevin Love played his part for the team tonight and he knows/should know it. He's not always going to get 20 and 10 - he's not in Minny anymore and a lot of you need to stop treating him like he is. When his number is called, he'll be ready like he is when he gets off to his lightning quick shooting first quarters. But he doesn't need to sustain this level of intensity for 4 quarters.

People forget that this is a team game. Love getting hot and getting shots off in the first not only keeps him active early, but diverts attention to himself to allow the other guys (see the Dion's and Miller's of the world) to get involved in the game to make an impact. His presence on the floor and his vast offensive arsenal makes him a constant threat, and from a coach's perspective, this can be utilized to create space for other players in the following 3 quarters, even if it means Love has to get 3-4 shots off for the rest of the game, not giving him an opportunity to have a big scoring night.

I'm not saying that's what should happen every night, but on a night like tonight when Andy is shooting the ball well from inside and mid-range, Dion is dropping 21, Marion is finding his shooting rhythm off the bench and LeBron and Kyrie are shooting lights out, it's okay if he's not putting up monster numbers.

Somebody has to miss out each game for the betterment of the team and tonight that was him (if you can even call it missing out - just trying to work a point). It's more likely he comes out next game and drops 10-12 in the first than not getting a shot off at all and struggling in all areas of the game.

Tonight, Love found other ways to affect the game, and this resulted in a Cavs win, good work from the bench, a good output from Kyrie and LeBron and Dion's best game.

I know what I'd prefer if I was him and you gave me the choice...

I have to disagree in part.

Not here to paint doom and gloom, but I think some of you are unrealistic about Love not having any reason to be annoyed at this point. He is an All-NBA talent who is criminally underutilized and not for any particularly good reason.

No one expects him to take 18+ shots a game like he did last year. However, a 33% drop in touches is significant and lets not pretend there aren't enough shots to go around because there are. All other starters have seen very little impact to their game with regard to shot attempts or adjustments. It's easy to say it's about the team when no one else but him is making the sacrifice on the offensive end. What's more, it's not like he's sacrificing for better looks by others in the later quarters, much of the time it is the exact opposite. There is no reason to not get him the ball beyond he is an afterthought; particularly when LeBron is not on the floor.

It isn't about this game either, it is a continual theme of ignoring him; in many cases so bad shots can be taken. I won't even go into the OKC game when LeBron was out and Love still had to beg for the 13 shots he got while we suffered through long stretches of chucking ISO basketball.

"His presence on the floor and his vast offensive arsenal makes him a constant threat, and from a coach's perspective, this can be utilized to create space for other players in the following 3 quarters, even if it means Love has to get 3-4 shots off for the rest of the game." Why? So we can watch Dion, TT or AV take inferior or forced shots instead? Watch our second quarters. Or our third quarters. We could use a lot more Love much of the time. If the man is hot keep feeding him. No one would ever say we should get away from Kyrie or LeBron after a quarter when they are hot. It is absurd.

I followed Love in Minnesota and I know an irritated Kevin when I see one. Anyone that thinks that he is 100% ok with playing fourth fiddle is deluding themselves.

He is underutilized. Period. Don't be surprised if it is starting to get to him. If it takes running a few more sets for him to keep him happy then do it. It isn't asking much.

All other starters have seen very little impact to their game with regard to shot attempts or adjustments. It's easy to say it's about the team when no one else but him is making the sacrifice on the offensive end. What's more, it's not like he's sacrificing for better looks by others in the later quarters, much of the time it is the exact opposite. There is no reason to not get him the ball beyond he is an afterthought; particularly when LeBron is not on the floor.

Just not true. Last season Kyrie was getting over 17 shots a game and the season before over 18 shots. He's now getting 15.2 shots per game, and per 36 it's over 3 shots less than he got last season. Even more drastic is the drop in his usage rate, which was over 28 last year and 30 the year before and is now under 23. So it's just flat false to say the above. It's funny though because no one is talking about the impact on Kyrie and it's probably because he's adjusted better to it.

I followed Love in Minnesota and I know an irritated Kevin when I see one. Anyone that thinks that he is 100% ok with playing fourth fiddle is deluding themselves.

There's no need to use hyperbole to prove a point. By no metric is he playing fourth fiddle.

Just not true. Last season Kyrie was getting over 17 shots a game and the season before over 18 shots. He's now getting 15.2 shots per game, and per 36 it's over 3 shots less than he got last season. Even more drastic is the drop in his usage rate, which was over 28 last year and 30 the year before and is now under 23. So it's just flat false to say the above. It's funny though because no one is talking about the impact on Kyrie and it's probably because he's adjusted better to it.

There's no need to use hyperbole to prove a point. By no metric is he playing fourth fiddle.

Kyrie's adjusting better because he can choose when and where to take his shots as a ball handler. He doesn't have to wait for his teammates to pass to him and when he is in a slump he can and does allow himself to throw up a ton of shots in a short period. Irving's shots may be down but it is hardly the -6 Love is sporting in FGA to say nothing of the inconsistency not getting many looks after the first quarter breeds. You may be correct in that Irving is down a little, but it does nothing to invalidate the larger point that Love is not being used as often as he should.

He is a fourth fiddle in any part of the game outside the first quarter. Everyone sees it. I see on these threads "Love is such a non-factor." Well, that is what happens when you shut the guy down for three quarters a game.

Anyway, I think I made my point so I'm not going to say anything more about Love on the game thread.

Cheers, Rich.

But Windy says we can not beat elite western teams and we are not looking good and Drama is eating us up and the sky is falling!!

The only thing being eaten up is the buffet when Windy is in town. :chuckle:

Kyrie's adjusting better because he can choose when and where to take his shots as a ball handler. He doesn't have to wait for his teammates to pass to him and when he is in a slump he can and does allow himself to throw up a ton of shots in a short period. Irving's shots may be down but it is hardly the -6 Love is sporting in FGA to say nothing of the inconsistency not getting many looks after the first quarter breeds. You may be correct in that Irving is down a little, but it does nothing to invalidate the larger point that Love is not being used as often as he should.

He is a fourth fiddle in any part of the game outside the first quarter. Everyone sees it. I see on these threads "Love is such a non-factor." Well, that is what happens when you shut the guy down for three quarters a game.

Anyway, I think I made my point so I'm not going to say anything more about Love on the game thread.

Cheers, Rich.

Either Love or Irving were going to be seeing 13 shots a game and low 20s usage. It had to be one of them. If it were Kyrie then I'm thinking there would be the same complaints only from a different group of posters about Kyrie not being utilized enough. This was inevitable. It's just what happens when playing with an offensive player more talented than he is.

Either Love or Irving were going to be seeing 13 shots a game and low 20s usage. It had to be one of them. If it were Kyrie then I'm thinking there would be the same complaints only from a different group of posters about Kyrie not being utilized enough. This was inevitable. It's just what happens when playing with an offensive player more talented than he is.

Last post, promise.

I think Love will get more touches if/when the Cavs get a real center, granted that the new guy is starting. I think there is something to the theory that AV's game disrupts Love's to some extant. Perhaps AV's constant movement, and his hair, not unlike Medusa, have dazzled and beguiled Love into pretending to be a statue.

Last edited:
Nice win even if they were shorthanded. Need to build a win streak heading towards Christmas day and beyond.

jesus, does our schedule ever get easy?

in the next 20, we play:

gs
hou
atl
chi
lac
okc
port
Dal

..8 games against teams with a legitimate shot at the finals.. combined record of 138-48, or .742

btw dallas jjust got better. OKC just got a shit ton better. Dwight Howard is back in Houston.
Good its what this team needs.

Last post, promise.

I think Love will get more touches if/when the Cavs get a real center, granted that the new guy is starting. I think there is something to the theory that AV's game disrupts Love's to some extant. Perhaps AV's constant movement, and his hair, not unlike Medusa, have dazzled and beguiled Love into pretending to be a statue.

Liked for humor, but also because I think what you're saying is true (not the medusa part).

When AV was out Love was much more active and saw a lot more touches. It's why I was advocating starting Tristan and moving AV to the bench. That and Andy's D seems to have regressed a bit, plus putting him on the bench helps protect him from injury.

Andy's effort is still there no doubt, but there have been several times I've noticed him making defensive mistakes this season.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."