• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Dion Waiters Traded

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grade the Trade (Waiters + Kirk/Amundsen + 2nd rd pick for Smith, Shumpert, and 1st rd pick)

• A+

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • A

Votes: 68 26.7%
  • B

Votes: 106 41.6%
  • C

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • D

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • F

Votes: 9 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dion is averaging 10 pts a game, 41% FG%, 2 ast and 1 TO per game. That is not terrible for someone only playing 22 minutes a game and who started the season poorly. Actually for a player with a role as a bench scorer, those are good numbers. How many bench players have we had in the last 10 years capable of putting up 10 points per game in 20 minutes of play?

@Rich Last season Dion had 2 stretches of 3 games or more shooting under 42% and no more than 4 games in a row of sub 42% shooting. This season he has had 4 stretches of 3-4 games shooting below 42%. This slow start was not indicative of Dions "streaky" nature. He typically does not have such long streets of poor shooting balanced with long streaks of good to decent shooting.

Dion might have a bad week of shootiing on occasion but not a bad month.

Dion can consistently give ya 4 of 9 shooting on bench minutes and 7 of 15 or so when he gets starters minutes night in and night out. its why i thought the bad start was more due to the roster overhaul.

Defense on other hand Dion is very streaky and thats where he will need to be more consistent if he wants starters minutes every night. even then there will be nights where blatt just doesnt use him

Edit ill concede on that past post i may have spent more time trying to format what i was wanting to show than which data i was actually posting.I apologize for that that

Last edited:
"Good for you, Dion Waiters! Good for you!"

This is the Dion we want to see :biggrinthumb:

Anyone know if Dion lives downtown? I am 99% sure I saw him this morning - as I was pulling into work (the lot right next to the Q), he was coming from the Q and I waved him so he could cross in front of me. Pretty sure it was him - and he took off down Prospect rather quickly.

Waiters is the player who truly makes or breaks this team because he is so inconsistent. He is capable of going off and scoring 25, but he usually gives you almost nothing. we desperately need a reliable scorer off the bench…when Waiters is on, we have that. when he's not on, our bench is useless. if Waiters could consistently give us 10-12 points per game, we'd be doing just fine. the question is, can he do that? it's all or nothing with Waiters. He's either hot or ice cold…and his bad games seem to outweigh his good games by a ratio of about 5 to 1. we can't win in the playoffs with Waiters only playing well in 1 out of 5 games. if he can turn it around and play well in 4 out of 5 games, then I'd be happy. but to have Waiters do well in only 1 out of 5 games isn't going to cut it.

Dion can fool you because he shows flashes of greatness, but that's all it is so far - just "flashes." if all you every do is show "flashes" then you're just another scrub journeyman in the NBA. maybe Dion can actually become a legit player who plays at his best most of the time, but as of now his inconsistency makes him completely unreliable.

Last edited:
for the life of me cant understand why people want to dump Dion for a big slow stiff who can block shots. Maybe we should call Minn to see whether we can have Wiggins if we give them Dion. Not clear at all to me which player has better upside. I do know that Dion has a better PER as the 4th option on our team than Wiggins does as the featured rook on their team. I would like to see how the PER of dion and the sainted Bradley Beal at the end of the season.

for the life of me cant understand why people want to dump Dion for a big slow stiff who can block shots. Maybe we should call Minn to see whether we can have Wiggins if we give them Dion. Not clear at all to me which player has better upside.
I actually still want to keep Dion for now. It's too early to tell what Dion can become. I think we should give him till the end of this season to get his act together and prove if he can be a RELIABLE, CONSISTENT player. if after this season he's still only giving you a good game 1 out of 5 times, then it's clear he's just not capable of being consistently good.

for the life of me cant understand why people want to dump Dion for a big slow stiff who can block shots. Maybe we should call Minn to see whether we can have Wiggins if we give them Dion. Not clear at all to me which player has better upside. I do know that Dion has a better PER as the 4th option on our team than Wiggins does as the featured rook on their team. I would like to see how the PER of dion and the sainted Bradley Beal at the end of the season.

if he played like he did last night more than once every two weeks this wouldn't be up for discussion.

Waiters is the player who truly makes or breaks this team because he is so inconsistent. He is capable of going off and scoring 25, but he usually gives you almost nothing. we desperately need a reliable scorer off the bench…when Waiters is on, we have that. when he's not on, our bench is useless. if Waiters could consistently give us 10-12 points per game, we'd be doing just fine. the question is, can he do that? it's all or nothing with Waiters. He's either hot or ice cold…and his bad games seem to outweigh his good games by a ratio of about 5 to 1. we can't win in the playoffs with Waiters only playing well in 1 out of 5 games. if he can turn it around and play well in 4 out of 5 games, then I'd be happy. but to have Waiters do well in only 1 out of 5 games isn't going to cut it.

Dion can fool you because he shows flashes of greatness, but that's all it is so far - just "flashes." if all you every do is show "flashes" then you're just another scrub journeyman in the NBA. maybe Dion can actually become a legit player who plays at his best most of the time, but as of now his inconsistency makes him completely unreliable.

Right now Dion is very inconsistent but this team has enough depth and scoring power to easily make up for the days when Dion isn't doing much. Actually this team seems to get a big contribution from a different player every night. Some nights it is TT or Love, last night it was AV and Dion, the night before it was Mike Miller with 7 threes when the rest of the team was playing quite poor. The defense knows Lebron and Kyrie will usually get theirs, but they don't know who else will have a big night and beat them. We are a very hard team to game plan against.

The team has been inconsistent this season.
as far as Dion 4 18 or more point games in the last 8 games.shooting over 50% in all 4
Thats 3 games under 10 points with 2 of those playing 10 minutes or less.

Dion was pretty consistent last season outside of 1 or 2 game stretches here and there. there is a difference between inconsistency and a bad start.

Tough to be "consistent" when you play 6 minutes in between two 21 point games. The more experience he gets, the more confident, but also more even keeled he'll become.

I'd swap them in a heartbeat.

Dion is in his third year, feeling his way around and floundering as a sixth man.

The other is in his first two months as an NBA player on a bad team, with a better attitude and elite defensive capabilities in the future.

I'd swap them in a heartbeat.

Dion is in his third year, feeling his way around and floundering as a sixth man.

The other is in his first two months as an NBA player on a bad team, with a better attitude and elite defensive capabilities in the future.

How do you know he has a better attitude? If you read the Wolves forums they are complaining about his attitude. His eFG% is pure awful.

I actually still want to keep Dion for now. It's too early to tell what Dion can become. I think we should give him till the end of this season to get his act together and prove if he can be a RELIABLE, CONSISTENT player. if after this season he's still only giving you a good game 1 out of 5 times, then it's clear he's just not capable of being consistently good.

All of that cuts both ways, though. If dion is only successful in one out of five games at the end of the season, his trade value will be in the sewer.

This shouldn't be all that difficult. If Dion is definitely in our long term plans, considering his projected salary, role, etc., then keep him. If not you trade him as soon as his trade value gets high enough. The risk is getting too greedy, waiting too long, and his trade value may go back down.

How do you know he has a better attitude? If you read the Wolves forums they are complaining about his attitude. His eFG% is pure awful.

He is still sore about being drafted by a team with LBJ and Kyrie then shipped to awful Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."