• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

#8: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State University

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Al Toon
Warren Moon
Mark Duper
James Jett

Not sure how much credence this should get considering the source, but I heard Chuck Booms say that he was told by his friends with the Browns that Pettine made drafting Gilbert one of his requirements for taking the job. That Pettine loved the guy and wanted him on his team.

Again, it's Booms so it could be total horseshit (and likely is). I don't see a guy like Pettine making demands when he was lucky to really even be considered at that point.

If it's true though, it could mean that Farmer didn't make either of his first round picks.

Not sure how much credence this should get considering the source, but I heard Chuck Booms say that he was told by his friends with the Browns that Pettine made drafting Gilbert one of his requirements for taking the job. That Pettine loved the guy and wanted him on his team.

Again, it's Booms so it could be total horseshit (and likely is). I don't see a guy like Pettine making demands when he was lucky to really even be considered at that point.

If it's true though, it could mean that Farmer didn't make either of his first round picks.

no way in fuck its true. unless pettine has his own personal scout there is no way he spent most of the NFL season scouting glibert. pettine was hired Jan 23rd. The bills seasons ended dec 29th, and OK st only had one game in that time frame. Are we really to believe that pettine spent those 4 weeks between the end of the bills season and when he was hired not preparing for NFL interviews but watching tape of college players?

this sounds to me like someone didnt like the gilbert pick, didnt like pettine being hired, and after gilberts struggles last season, along with the browns collapse is trying to throw pettine under the bus

no way in fuck its true. unless pettine has his own personal scout there is no way he spent most of the NFL season scouting glibert. pettine was hired Jan 23rd. The bills seasons ended dec 29th, and OK st only had one game in that time frame. Are we really to believe that pettine spent those 4 weeks between the end of the bills season and when he was hired not preparing for NFL interviews but watching tape of college players?

this sounds to me like someone didnt like the gilbert pick, didnt like pettine being hired, and after gilberts struggles last season, along with the browns collapse is trying to throw pettine under the bus

I mean, I agree with you that this is most likely bullshit, but why wouldn't a d-coordinator be watching tape for defensive players for the upcoming draft in which his current team was towards the top of the draft? Seems like a pretty normal thing to me.

He might not have demanded they drafted Gilbert, but he could have suggested that he liked him in the interview, since they probably asked him if he had any players he liked.

I mean, I agree with you that this is most likely bullshit, but why wouldn't a d-coordinator be watching tape for defensive players for the upcoming draft in which his current team was towards the top of the draft? Seems like a pretty normal thing to me.

He might not have demanded they drafted Gilbert, but he could have suggested that he liked him in the interview, since they probably asked him if he had any players he liked.

which is of course 100% different than what the story was reported.

that said, i have no doubt he started initial scouting. but to say he demanded that gilbert be drafted is ridiculous

What position was Pettine in to make demands prior to being hired? None whatsoever. Story reeks of bullshit.

I don't doubt that Pettine wanted Gilbert, and he probably let the front office know it, but no assistant coach is going to go into a head coaching interview and issue demands like that. It's just ridiculous. Maybe a former head coach in high demand with some clout could pull it off, but an assistant coach? No way.

Just out of curiosity, what about Bradley Robey?

Apologies, just saw this:

Roby was -2.5 in 818 snaps, but graded out on the plus side in six of the last eight weeks this season.

Solid, solid player.

Yea it's pretty easy to say Booms takes what he hears and creates his own narrative around it. To say Pettine demanded the Browns select Justin Gilbert as a condition of his hire is absurd and completely unbelievable. It simply doesn't make sense for a relatively obscure D Coordinator who is interviewing for his 1st HC job to demand we take a specific defensive back top 10 as a stipulation to his employment.

What IS believable is that Pettine in his hiring process probably said he wants to build a defense with top notch press corners and looking at the roster we only have 1. His vision of the team is to obtain another press corner sooner rather than later.

Reactions: AZ_
Is it a full moon?

We have Lombardi (La Canfora), Booms and John Telich storytelling about the Browns again...

Word on Gilbert is that he is now a labeled as head case and that the Browns have hired a new team psychologist since the former psychologist didn't notice it before the draft.

Word on Gilbert is that he is now a labeled as head case and that the Browns have hired a new team psychologist since the former psychologist didn't notice it before the draft.

I don't doubt you, but can you show a source for that?

Lot of rumors floating out there because the coach/GM were vague.. They probably shouldn't have mentioned anything at all because now everyone is making up a bunch of worst-case rumors. If it is a mental thing, I'd just hope for the best.. But this and trading for Davonne Bess? This FO needs to re-think their character screening efforts..

Sounds legit....

I'm sure every team gives potential draft picks a thorough psych eval during their visits.

I don't doubt you, but can you show a source for that?

Lot of rumors floating out there because the coach/GM were vague.. They probably shouldn't have mentioned anything at all because now everyone is making up a bunch of worst-case rumors. If it is a mental thing, I'd just hope for the best.. But this and trading for Davonne Bess? This FO needs to re-think their character screening efforts..

Sounds legit....

I'm sure every team gives potential draft picks a thorough psych eval during their visits.

"The Browns have made changes to their scouting department and hired a new team psychologist since last year's draft. Farmer was asked if Gilbert's problem should have been detected earlier."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/cleveland_browns_should_have_r.html

Pettine was asked if he had a better handle on what led to the 23-year-old's struggles both on and off the field. Was it a poor attitude and lack of professionalism? "It's more than that," the coach said. "I don't want to get into it. It's very personal and I'm not going to get into details about it."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/ind...wns_cornerback_ju.html#incart_related_stories

Typical Browns.

Will go down as one of their worst first rounds in over a year.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."