• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Kyrie Irving

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay we need to talk about this. Kyrie has shut down some of the best guards in the league during this streak, and made them absolute non-factors. how the hell does he do it?? It's not like he's overexcerting himself out there and going a 100 mph like Shump does, but he seems to have gotten a veeeery good understanding of, what shots he can allow his man to take and what shots he can't. on more than one occasion tonight he seemed to be goading Westbrook into taking mid-rangers and long jumpers and it paid off big time.

I really like how cerebral he's been of D these past few games, hopefully he keeps it up.

Kyrie very much plays read-defense. He gambles and goes for steals a little more often than he should, but it's such a huge difference from how he used to play D (i.e. none at all), that you're not gonna see any complaints from me.

And yes, good game by Kyrie again. He is starting to understand he doesn't need to be a 20+ points guy on the offensive end anymore for the Cavs to win. He can still get his shots when LeBron rests. If he shoots effeciently and does a good job of guarding the opposition point guard like he has in the last five odd games, he will be doing more than enough. Well Done, Kyrie!

View: https://twitter.com/ericsports/status/559478153878315009

View: https://twitter.com/ericsports/status/559479418964295680

View: https://twitter.com/ericsports/status/559551936198746113

He retweeted this:
View: https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/530956348272291840

View: https://twitter.com/ericsports/status/559548688163299329

Sorry for all this tweets, but what do you guys think about this guy?
Do you think he has a point or is he just bearing hatred against Kyrie on an insane level?
I think some of his statements are flat out ridiculous. I'm not so sure he has even watched one game of Kyrie this season, tbh...

Kyle Korver a better offensive player than Kyrie Irving?

I swear to god the average internet poster on reddit is more knowledgeable about basketball than some so called "analysts".

Someone tell that guy to hop off Korver's dick, mercy... If someone told him that Kyrie was better than Korver he might cry. That guy is a hack.

Long post, but I think this is worth it:

This guy is the Cavs equivalent of the guy who was ranting about Michael Brantley being a bust. Just trolling Cleveland fans for kicks.

First of all, I love advanced metrics. I think they provide fascinating insight. And yet here's a prime example of why you cannot rely on these numbers alone.

Let's play the same game Mr. Rosenthal wants to play. Lemme see if I can catch his tone.

"In what world is Lebron James an All Star over Draymond Green?? Draymond is better at offense and defense than Lebron, and it's not even close. I've yet to hear one advanced statistical metric that tells me I'm incorrect."

Here's my case. These stats all come from NBA.com:

1) Draymond has a better Offensive Rating and Defensive Rating than Lebron. By like, a WIDE margin. Draymonds Net Rating is astronomically higher

2) They have nearly identical TS% and eFG%, or at least close enough to not make much of a difference.

3) Draymond has a higher Assist Ratio, Assist/TO ratio, and Rebounding % across the board.

4) Draymond's team has a much better record that Lebron's.

Case in point: Draymond Green is a better player than Lebron James and it's not even close

Would you take anyone seriously who said that? I mean, I just gave you a ton of statistical metrics that staunchly prove my case.

No, of course not. Because only a blazing moron would claim that Draymond Green is a better player than Lebron James.

Kyle Korver is amazing. He excels in his role, and even that is an understatement. But he is able to excel because he is put in that position by three fantastic star teammates, and a unit of 11 more guys and a coach behind that that put him in that position. Also, he has the distinct advantage of playing this year in a familiar system, with familiar players, in a familiar role. Kyrie Irving is playing in a new system, with new players, in a completely new role.

So you tell me. Even if every metric favored Korver (which it doesn't), if you had to give the ball to one guy at the end of a playoff game, who do you give it to? Not "who do you set up as the recipient of the play"... Who's hands do you put it in and say "Go to work, young man."? If your answer isn't Kyrie 100 times out 100, then you're not thinking straight.

There is more to a game than just statistics. If you are comparing the two, and said "You're gonna be the man Kyrie/Kyle. You are the number one option on this team, and everyone spots 2-15 are going to be less talented than you. This is your show." Whose team wins? You put either Kyrie or Korver on the Sixers, Hornets, Wolves, Jazz, any other team with lesser talent. Which team wins more games? They Kyrie team or the Korver team?

And finally... The metrics do not give any definitive answer whatsoever that Korver is better than Kyrie. NBA.com has a handy little player comparison tool. Take a peek for yourself.

http://stats.nba.com/vs/#!/?PlayerID=202681&VsPlayerID=2594&range=2011&range=2014

Kyrie averages more assists, steals, and nearly double the points per game.

Korver clearly wins the three point battle and FG% battle. Korver is also the better defender.

Kyrie wins the battle tremendously as a finisher around the rim and in isolation.

Their offensive ratings are nearly identical. Meaning while Korver is getting his points in different ways, they score nearly just as efficiently as the other in points per 100 possessions.

Kyrie's PER is significantly higher than Korver's.

Kyrie averages more points off turnovers per game, points in transition per game, points in the paint, and draws twice as many fouls.

We could go on like this all day.

TL;DR Eric Rosenthal is a troll moron.

Why is Korver even being compared to Kyrie? Completely different players. And why is it one or the other? They should both make the All-Star Game.

Is PER not an advanced stat?

I think Kyrie's per game stats are better across the board than Korver's, and Korver is really like the 4th best player on his team. Yes the Cavs were bad without Lebron, but imagine a team where Korver is the best player on the team. Frankly I don't see how you take Korver over Teague in the ASG.

I don't think Korver is a bad player at all or that he shouldn't be in the ASG over Kyrie, but to say there's no debate to take Kyrie over him in the ASG is just asinine.

Why is Korver even being compared to Kyrie? Completely different players. And why is it one or the other? They should both make the All-Star Game.
A much simpler and concise way of saying what I said above. :chuckle:

Replace Kyrie with Korver in the lineup when we were going 1-8 without Lebron and Varejao and the Cavs easily go .500! :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."