• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Brian Hoyer thread...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The veterans almost certainly respect Hoyer, and I'm confident that having him on this team could only be looked at as a positive.

But they should absolutely be in the market for bringing in someone better to start over both of these guys. Maybe they won't be successful in that quest.

I just can't imagine they're saying "lets keep the status quo" based on what we saw last year.

Be that Foles, Bradford, Chase Daniel, Mallett, who knows.

The veterans almost certainly respect Hoyer, and I'm confident that having him on this team could only be looked at as a positive.

But they should absolutely be in the market for bringing in someone better to start over both of these guys. Maybe they won't be successful in that quest.

I just can't imagine they're saying "lets keep the status quo" based on what we saw last year.

Be that Foles, Bradford, Chase Daniel, Mallett, who knows.

exactly if the browns are bringing back hoyer (or at least looking at it) one of 2 things have happened; either he browns have accepted they are getting rid of manziel and need to bring on someone else to learn under hoyer OR the browns are getting rid of manziel and want hoyer to be a legit back up for this team just incase whomever they get as a starter goes down.

i guess a third less likely option is manziel is kept as a 3rd string QB kept on the roster and 1 and 2 from above apply

I've read a number of teams in QB limbo are looking at Hoyer as a cheap mentor type starting QB:

Chicago:
http://www.sportsworldreport.com/ar...landon-collins-draft-targets-for-john-fox.htm

Titans/Texans:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ble-free-agent-landing-spots-for-brian-hoyer/

Bills:
http://www.sportsworldreport.com/ar...er-ej-manuel-as-cj-spiller-returning-2015.htm

It seems Browns fans, having seen his wheels fall off for four weeks, have a bad taste in their mouths. But, there are football people who are going to have interest in a guy who has experienced success as a starter, keeps turnovers down and knows how to adjust at the line of scrimmage. I don't know if he will end up a Brown, but it seems that several teams think he can be at least a temporary starter in 2015.

Thats what happens in a QB market as terrible as this one.

I really want Hoyer back as the backup QB. That is his ideal role in this league. He will prepare as the starter each and every week, he'll know the game plan, he'll know the defense, he'll execute the offense the way it is designed. That is enough to win you a few games here and there and keep you competitive in others.

He's not a guy that you hitch your wagons to though. Defenses if they have a week to prepare for him will beat him more times than not.

However; at this stage in his career, this is Hoyer's shot to be a starting QB even if it's as a stop gap veteran. For him, he has to take a job where he has a legit shot at being the starter week 1. Unless those opportunities aren't afforded to him, he'd be stupid to take a job as a clear backup even though that's who he is.

http://www.foxsports.com/ohio/story...-gets-first-word-in-public-negotiation-020915

Brian Hoyer and the Browns both have different options to consider this spring.
FOX Sports Ohio Zac Jackson

Until March 7, the Cleveland Browns are the only team that can negotiate with quarterback Brian Hoyer.

The public part of whatever negotation lies ahead -- the posturing and positioning -- has already begun.

Hoyer, benched last December then injured in backup duty after leading the Browns to a 7-4 start, is without a contract in advance of the start of the NFL's league year on March 10. Since the end of the season the Browns have added a new offensive coordinator, have seen quarterback Johnny Manziel check himself into a rehabilitation center and are hiring a new quarterbacks coach and awaiting a verdict from the NFL regarding an investigation into text messages reportedly sent during games from the owner's suite to coaches, a violaion of the league's gameday communication policy.

So, it's a typical Browns offseason with a typical Browns dilemma.

No answer at quarterback.

Hoyer and his camp -- he's repped by longtime agent Joe Linta -- know this. The Browns know Hoyer well, and one thing that makes this year different than others in the team's neverending search for a long-term quarterback answer is that the head coach and front office weren't replaced this time around.

The Browns can't contact outside options until March. The NFL Draft starts April 30.

In this, the second week of February, there's much to be settled. And the staredown isn't exactly on; not yet, anyway.

But Hoyer made a public appearance last weekend and spoke to reporters afterwards. Monday morning, he appeared on a national radio show knowing exactly what kind of questions were coming. When the Browns go to the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis next week, head coach Mike Pettine and Ray Farmer know exactly what kind of quarterback questions are coming.

The two sides are going to dance, even if they never come close to touching. Both sides are going to size up other dance partners, too.

For now, it's like a really awkward high school homecoming flirtation with many millions of dollars and several jobs involved.

"You don't know how things will play out," Hoyer said Monday. "I've never had this opportunity in my career."

He also said much of what he said Saturday. That he loves his teammates and coaches. That it would be great to stay at home. That "all options are on the table" and that he'll eventually do what's best for his family and his opportunity to maximize his career.

Hoyer said he's "just as interested as everybody else" in what the NFL finds in the text-message investigation.

"If it had soemthing to do with me, obviously I would like to know," he said.

Of course he would. And if Farmer was putting down Hoyer to now-departed coaches in those text messages, as previous reports have hinted, that could affect negotiations.

Make no mistake. Every public word put out by both sides from now until further notice is about negotiations.

"I've proven that I can win in this league as a starting quarterback," Hoyer said Saturday. "Now, did the (2014) season end the way we wanted to? No, we fell off. There are a lot of things and a lot of reasons why that happened. I'm not going to shy away from my responsibility in that part.
020515-fso-nfl-browns-flames.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg

Browns have to grow up -- and fast
"I feel like (in) 16 starts, I've shown that I can be a winning quarterback in this league. Especially at this point in my career, I want to go somewhere, whether it's here or wherever it might be, that I'm going to be able to have a chance to be on the field."

Hoyer wants paid and wants a chance to win. A married father who grew up just outside of Cleveland, Hoyer has reasons to want to make things work with the Browns.

The Browns have to carve out a plan -- probably a few of them, actually -- and ask themselves if they can do better than Hoyer. They probably have to budget a certain amount of dollars, too, while taking into account that when they open their doors to players again in April, 2014 undrafted rookie Connor Shaw could be the only quarterback who shows up. They have to judge whether to trust Manziel, judge what they feel Hoyer's ceiling might be and take a long look at outside options, from Plan A through at least Plan D or E.

Hoyer has to remember what last training camp was like, what last season was like and what price he really might put on home.

The real negotiation and process will take place behind closed doors. In the meantime, though, both sides will take at least somewhat of a stand in front of the cameras and microphones.

Last season, there was dysfunction in the FO and within the coaching staff, tension within the locker room, and Brian himself didn't handle all that as well as he could in his public statements. And especially if Manziel returns, the prospect of another season with the same two personalities and divisions may be something they'd rather avoid.

I think if they can find someone who is about as good as Hoyer, at about the same price, they'd prefer move in that direction simply because of all the drama and baggage regarding the QB position. To me, that suggests the Browns will wait and explore other options before making an offer to Hoyer.

This thread is going to be off the chain this season. Go Texans!

The argument is not about individual stats but the caliber and contract situation the players are in. It's not about comparing 62 vs 60% completion percentage or Pick 6 to TD ratio, it's about the overall worth these QBs are to the teams that signed them.

Again, Hoyer is going to get starter money this offseason. You may not agree that he should and I'm sure you can make a compelling argument of why he shouldn't. However; he's going to get that kind of money. The purpose of this exercise is to gauge his monetary value as a STARTING QB. Take the names out. He's going to get more than an experience starting QB vet coming off a horrendous year on the back end of his career and less than a reasonably productive starting QB getting his last full time starter commitment.

I'll take you up on a bet. 30 day Avatar bet. Hoyer gets more than 8 million in cap hit in any 1 year in his next contract.

I'll own up to the bet I made with @CosmoKramer

View: https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/575726416018432001

Clearly Hoyer did not get starting QB money which I thought he would. To my defense, Hoyer at the time of the bet was 6-4 as a starter with 11 TDs and 5 INTs. After the bet he went 1-2 as the starter with 1 TD and 8 INTs and lost the starting job.

But an avatar bet is an avatar bet. The only stipulation is that it has to obey the rules of RCF.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."