• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Building a Gaming PC

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auxillary is right, the 290X is the best deal on the market at present. What was driving up AMD's prices is the fact that their GPUs so drastically outperform Nvidia's when it comes to cryptocurrency (or any GPGPU calculation) so that's been keeping available stock levels artificially low.

Personally, if I wanted to spend less than $500, I'd go with the 290X and plan to buy another one down the road for Crossfire.

The 970 has lots of major firmware/driver/hardware problems, many of which may not be fixable with a simple patch, update.

Definitely would go with the 290X, unless you are deadset on sticking with Nvidia, and then I'd look elsewhere (don't buy the 970).

I have a 970 and have not had any issues with its drivers. I have even checked out the dsr technology where I'm rendering a couple games at 4k and down sampling it back down to 1080 p. what issues are other people claiming to have with this card?

Edit: looks like some people are having issues with gpu usage. I myself haven't had that issue as many games will hit 99% if I have everything cranked.

Most people are mentioning problems when trying to go beyond 3.5 gb of v ram. I myself have only been up to around 3 gb, so I haven't witnessed this phenomenon.

Further edit:http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

An article on the issue. I still think the 970 is a fantastic card; especially if you can find it on sale on top of its pretty aggressive msrp. I know my gf got mine for 300 when it was on sale around x mas time. You also get full dx 12 support, which is suppose to help out the folks with lower end CPUs. I know gouris response will be "fuck dx," but unfortunately most PC games run in that API.

Last edited:
970 or 290X is really about it lol.. id go 290X with all the sweet AMD deals going on. i love mine, especially for the $250 I paid for it. maybe you can find a deal on a 780ti, i know a guy how got a stupid cheap one on amazon

Any suggestions as to where to purchase a 290X from? I haven't really seen any amazing deals, certainly nothing as low as $250.

Here is more info on this 970 scandal.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2876...r-update-for-memory-performance-concerns.html

". The GPU actually taps into two separate memory pools: A primary, full-speed segment of 3.5GB, and a secondary, far slower 512MB segment. In cases where games need more than 3.5GB of RAM, some users saw stuttering and frame rate wonkiness as the GPU accessed the 512MB segment."

"I wouldn’t recommend most gamers jump the gun on that, however. Nvidia messed up here, but the GTX 970 is still a beastly card that offers tremendous bang for your buck, and gaming at 4K resolution—where memory frame buffer issues would be a much larger concern—wouldn’t be very feasible with a single GTX 970 anyway."

Any suggestions as to where to purchase a 290X from? I haven't really seen any amazing deals, certainly nothing as low as $250.

mine was "lightly used" but they are regularly ~300 after MIR... I browse reddit.com/r/buildapcsales and you can search for the [GPU] tag. Ill post up here if I see one while im dicking around on teh webz

edit- you can get my exact card new from Newegg for $280 after MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_sp=Homepage_FDD-_-P1_14-150-696-_-01272015

I love that card, it looks bad ass, maxes out everything with ease, relatively quiet (my rig is kinda of loud, im not sure if its the CPU cooler or the beastly GPU going HAM)

Last edited:
i got my 1440p monitor set up, this thing is fucking huge..whoda thought 27" was so big lol. I also realized i dont own any graphically impressive games, unless you count Tomb Raider.

i got my 1440p monitor set up, this thing is fucking huge..whoda thought 27" was so big lol. I also realized i dont own any graphically impressive games, unless you count Tomb Raider.

Monitors always look bigger when you're sitting three feet away from them. :chuckle:

I use a 32" 1080p Samsung TV as my monitor. It's pretty awesome.

Monitors always look bigger when you're sitting three feet away from them. :chuckle:

I use a 32" 1080p Samsung TV as my monitor. It's pretty awesome.

uc

Psh, this is how I RCF.

55" LG 4K....

shhhh...

(tbh, these things are relatively cheap these days, much much cheaper than my first plasma screen, or the plasma I bought after that, and only a bit more expensive than my 3D LG LED)

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."