• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2015 NBA Draft Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I should have known this was going to happen. I watched the Utah game on Sunday and the dude looked lethargic as fuck. At least I now know it was just due to him being high :chuckle:

That being said, I would still take a chance on the guy, but I'm guessing we probably won't.

Meh doubt he is around for the Cavs he will most certainly be taken first by the Browns.

Gary Payton II is literally the perfect fit for this team as currently constructed.

Probably big enough to guard some 2s, distributor, athletic, off the charts BBIQ.

Him or Marcus Paige in the first, please.

Gary Payton II is literally the perfect fit for this team as currently constructed.

Probably big enough to guard some 2s, distributor, athletic, off the charts BBIQ.

Him or Marcus Paige in the first, please.

I love Payton II. Can never go wrong with good genes. You just have to hope they have the same mental mentality.

Gary Payton II is 6'3 and averaging 8.5 REB per game lol.

I'm extremely pumped to actually enjoy the season, and not care too much about the draft and free agency, but there are definitely some names to like at the end of the 1st round.

I feel like the Cavs are either going to pursue a backup PG, or obviously, bigs.

Jerian Grant
Christian Wood

And some potential 2nd Round/undrafted guys:

Jordan Mickey
Alan Williams
Rakeem Christmas

I think you always just draft BPA. Now how you go about identifying the BPA is another matter.

Interesting you mention Christian Wood, since DX's current mock has him going to the Cavs at #20. I don't follow college basketball, but he looks intriguing. Good size and length, young for his class (turns 20 in September), good athleticism, numbers (advanced stats) are solid. Sort of looks like John Henson, though DX says he has a solid frame. Might be the type of player you can slowly develop. Not the type of player who would be ready to contribute next year. But good teams don't draft players to fill holes in the roster or with the expectation that they will play their first year.

Griffin will probably want Sam Dekker though.

I think you always just draft BPA. Now how you go about identifying the BPA is another matter.

Interesting you mention Christian Wood, since DX's current mock has him going to the Cavs at #20. I don't follow college basketball, but he looks intriguing. Good size and length, young for his class (turns 20 in September), good athleticism, numbers (advanced stats) are solid. Sort of looks like John Henson, though DX says he has a solid frame. Might be the type of player you can slowly develop. Not the type of player who would be ready to contribute next year. But good teams don't draft players to fill holes in the roster or with the expectation that they will play their first year.

Griffin will probably want Sam Dekker though.

Disagree here, but most people like to joke around about our front office taking white guys with redundant skills to other white guys already on the team (in this case Joe Harris), so maybe you're joking.

It's clear as day we need one of 2 things in the 1st round of this draft. A developmental big, like Wood, Dakari Johnson, Upshaw, Cliff Alexander, Bobby Portis, or Trey Lyles. The other is an athletic wing. Marion is retiring so we'll need a backup SF and one of Shumpert or Smith may be leaving so we may need another SG. Would love Justin Anderson from Virginia...I have a weakness for lefties. Obviously most of these guys have to declare for the draft, but they're just some names to look at for now.

Disagree here, but most people like to joke around about our front office taking white guys with redundant skills to other white guys already on the team (in this case Joe Harris), so maybe you're joking.

It's clear as day we need one of 2 things in the 1st round of this draft. A developmental big, like Wood, Dakari Johnson, Upshaw, Cliff Alexander, Bobby Portis, or Trey Lyles. The other is an athletic wing. Marion is retiring so we'll need a backup SF and one of Shumpert or Smith may be leaving so we may need another SG. Would love Justin Anderson from Virginia...I have a weakness for lefties. Obviously most of these guys have to declare for the draft, but they're just some names to look at for now.

It was sort of a joke, but Griffin has expressed a preference for guys who can spread the court and have some skills rather than bruiser types and/or athletic types. Thus his interest last summer in Channing Frye and the fact he drafted Dwight Powell. Nothing to do with race, and I didn't intend it to, though actually Dekker is pretty athletic.

Backup SF will likely require more investment than a draft pick -- like the taxpayers MLE or BAE or a vet nearing the end of his career willing to take the minimum, like Marion.

Deandre Jordan was drafted in the second round. His numbers weren't all that eye popping or spectacular in college. What we need to do is try to find someone that at least has the tools to be a good player, and we can groom them from there.

I would look for a big man that is 6'11+ with a good vertical leap and some raw talent. You have to pass on the bigs that are slow and can't run/jump and have inflated stats because they are big going against inferior competition. That is why I knew from the start that someone like Cole Aldrich would be a bust. Only reason he had good stats is because you can sit back in a zone in college and swat the small guards that come in the paint. For the NBA, you need to look at someone who has the potential to hold their own with one on one match ups.

I've been doing some research on bigs and looking at stats recently. Cauley Stein looks to me like the player in this draft that will be most like Deandre. Big, long, and athletic. Probably will get taken in the lottery though. Cliff Alexander or Jordan Mickey look like they would be good bigs off the bench to replace TT if we can't keep him. Not sure they are the "centers" we need though. Mickey is putting up some good numbers with 16 points, 11 boards, and 4 blocks a game.

Christian Wood looks like a good big. Once again, not sure he is "center" material though. He is 6'11 but skinny and likes to shoot jumpers. Only 220 pounds. If he was more athletic that wouldn't bother me. Chris Walker has been the sleeper for me since the start. He was projected to go lottery at one time before he got into some trouble. But he has other worldly hops and some natural shot blocking instincts. His numbers don't look great because he doesn't play much (not sure why), but he has the tools. Only problems is that he is more of a PF than center.

The best fit I've seen for this team in the late first round is Amida Brimah of UConn. The guy is a cross between Gorgui Dieng and Biyombo, still learning the game but has a great talent for defending the rim. Keep a guy like that in the D league for a season or two and you might have Mozgov's eventual replacement. Unfortunately the quality of this draft seems shallow and I can't be the only one noticing a 7 foot freak athlete.

A little more of a sleeper is Ragin' Cajun Shawn Long. I don't think he was heavily recruited, but he is 6'10 and has some shooting range along with shot blocking. I'm intrigued by late blooming centers from smaller schools which don't get a lot of attention. He seems like a Taj Gibson type player.

The best fit I've seen for this team in the late first round is Amida Brimah of UConn. The guy is a cross between Gorgui Dieng and Biyombo, still learning the game but has a great talent for defending the rim. Keep a guy like that in the D league for a season or two and you might have Mozgov's eventual replacement. Unfortunately the quality of this draft seems shallow and I can't be the only one noticing a 7 foot freak athlete.
He isn't even in any mock I have seen so I wonder if he is coming out this year? Either way, nice find. Just a little concerning he is only getting 5 rebounds a game though being that tall.

Just for fun, this guy gets a lot of hate. But from what I see, he isn't that bad for his height. Usually players that big suck, but I see potential. That big and still able to run the floor like that is amazing. If he hit the weights and added some nasty to his game and got mean inside, this dude could be a BEAST. He is ranked 94 out of the top 100 recruits for next year. But I wonder if he will end up in the NBA and where he would fall.

He isn't even in any mock I have seen so I wonder if he is coming out this year? Either way, nice find. Just a little concerning he is only getting 5 rebounds a game though being that tall.

Brimah is super raw, probably ends up staying in school another year and goes top 10 in 2016. But just watch the guy get up and down the floor with that reach... he is going to be dangerous. He dropped 40 in a game this year.

I know Justin Anderson has been getting a lot of publicity here, and the more I watch, the more I think he'd be an excellent fit for what the Cavs need. I've been begging for a 3&D guy for years, and he seems like a perfect example with the potential to develop into something even more than that. He could immediately give us minutes off the bench and could play alongside or even eventually replace Shumpert, and for me the team can't have enough athletes who can shoot. Sign me up for him or an athletic C.

A little more of a sleeper is Ragin' Cajun Shawn Long. I don't think he was heavily recruited, but he is 6'10 and has some shooting range along with shot blocking. I'm intrigued by late blooming centers from smaller schools which don't get a lot of attention. He seems like a Taj Gibson type player.

Damn you. You beat me to it. I was going to make a post about Brimah a week ago but didn't want to put forth the effort considering there is about no chance the Cavs can get him. He's likely going way higher than late first round, more than likely in the teens if he comes out this year, and probably lottery next year.

@Walter White and as far as finding a player like DeAndre Jordan...you can kiss that goodbye. Cavs gifted away their draft picks so they don't even have the chance to gamble on players with upside like that.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."