• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Josh Gordon discussion

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
All he's doing is lashing out at people for criticizing him when it's their job to talk about him. I know, I know, somebody actually "doing their job" is a foreign concept to Josh Gordon, but still.

So nobody has any right to be offended at what a talking head says about them because "they're just doing their job"? That strikes me as ridiculous. If Windy or any local reporter was spreading false stories about a player, shouldn't that player speak up? If a tabloid TV show or website wrongly accuses someone of cheating on their spouse, or doing drugs, or engaging in some other misconduct, it's wrong for the person being lied about to be angry at them because "they're just doing their job?"

Look, what Gordon said changes nothing about what the Browns should do with him, or what the league should do to him. He committed the acts in question, and should receive the appropriate punishment. He's inarguably done some incredibly stupid things, and demonstrated a lack of self-discipline. I have zero confidence that will be remedied at any point in the future.

At the same time, he's still got a life, and family, and friends, and many of them may be pretty damn upset to hear someone say "he's going to die". Imagine how Ms. Gordon felt when she heard that. So, Gordon gets out there and says that some of the stuff being said about him is over the top, and untrue.

There's nothing inconsistent about holding him accountable for his actions, while recognizing his right to correct false statements being made about him.

Does anyone know what the next step in the NFL Substance Abuse Policy is?

Obviously he is in the 1 year ban stage. He has to apply for reinstatement and can only do so 12 months from now. I would assume during that time he would still have the random drug tests and have to pass all of those.

Assuming he screws up again, does anyone know for sure what happens? Is he on a perpetual 1 year ban for every instance or is there a stage where he's permanently banned without the ability to be reinstated?

Addicts have a reason, excuse, or sad sap story for all of their problems. The dude has pissed away a lot of money, hard work, and god-given talent. His response is to make a splash, because the media doesn't know him. It doesn't even make sense. Sir Charles says he's worried about Josh. Josh says, yeah I may be a victim of circumstance, but you don't KNOW me. It's the kind of shit a teenager would say. He admits that he's continuously let those closest to him down, and then turns right around and explains how far he's come. Chris Carter may not know him, but he had it right when he said the best thing for Josh is to be cut. Gotta let him hit bottom before he'll learn. I feel bad for him, not for anything he's said, but because it's absolutely clear now that he doesn't get it. He has absolutely no idea what responsibility is. He's just a big kid with a little money(n.f.l.) in his pocket.

The best thing is for him to be cut? That doesn't even make sense.

Your entire point is that he's pissed away millions of dollars, God-given talent, etc. etc.

If he cares that little about the football aspect of it to piss it all away, what makes you think getting cut is going to be any sort of deterrent?

To say nothing of the fact it makes not an iota of sense for the Browns given the circumstances surrounding his troubles, if they believe them to be true.

Meh. An addiction is essentially any habit that has an obvious negative impact on your life and relationships. Have his decisions done this? Is spending half your college and professional career being suspended not a sign of anything?

Argue with the restrictions if you like, but Josh earned them. To then go out and put himself in a situation to fail again, that's on him. I feel for the guy but this is only going to be solved by gaining self control, and he can point fingers all he wants once you realize the obstacles (his upbringing, etc) it then becomes time to climb over. Otherwise his career is just about done. Simple as that.

Yes, some people need to hit absolute rock bottom before they learn. Chris Carter said that it didn't sink in for him until football was taken from him, when he was without a team, and knew that everyone had given up on him. The best thing for Josh, as a person, is to stop enabling him. The Browns are his safety net. He knows that he can just sling some cars for a while, hang out with the guys after practice and in a year he can get back in the game and everything will be fine. Only a matter of time before he dicks up and he's got another excuse to sell everyone on. How many chances are enough before it's okay to cut him?

The best thing for the Browns and for Josh may not be the same thing right now.

So nobody has any right to be offended at what a talking head says about them because "they're just doing their job"? That strikes me as ridiculous. If Windy or any local reporter was spreading false stories about a player, shouldn't that player speak up? If a tabloid TV show or website wrongly accuses someone of cheating on their spouse, or doing drugs, or engaging in some other misconduct, it's wrong for the person being lied about to be angry at them because "they're just doing their job?"

Look, what Gordon said changes nothing about what the Browns should do with him, or what the league should do to him. He committed the acts in question, and should receive the appropriate punishment. He's inarguably done some incredibly stupid things, and demonstrated a lack of self-discipline. I have zero confidence that will be remedied at any point in the future.

At the same time, he's still got a life, and family, and friends, and many of them may be pretty damn upset to hear someone say "he's going to die". Imagine how Ms. Gordon felt when she heard that. So, Gordon gets out there and says that some of the stuff being said about him is over the top, and untrue.

There's nothing inconsistent about holding him accountable for his actions, while recognizing his right to correct false statements being made about him.

Seriously sounds like you're arguing just to argue, by pointing out one tiny part of the multiple long posts I've made on this topic and trying to nitpick it. Who the hell said anything about spreading "false stories?" :chuckle: You're really grasping here; where are the false stories? Stephen A Smith and the others have talked about how (in their opinion) Josh has a problem, he needs help, he is in danger, etc. This is not the equivalent of coming out and saying "[Famous Person X] cheated on his wife!" and if you don't see the difference then there is nothing I can do to help you. The talking heads are paid to talk about sports and the athletes, and Gordon is making a career out of giving them stuff to talk about. He's a public figure and they are 100% in their right to give their opinions on him, just as we are on this very forum.

As for Josh Gordon as a person, he has almost zero credibility. That he still finds it necessary to make snide remarks in a passive aggressive "open letter" is once again quite embarrassing and shameful. At the end of the day he needs to shut up and do his job. Writing letters to the public because he's "offended" by something someone said on the air about him is what is ridiculous. How often do we see athletes do that? Even the ones that are criticized endlessly, far more than Josh Gordon? Almost never. Guy doesn't have the head on his shoulders for this job and should go back to selling cars.

Stephen A Smith and the others have talked about how (in their opinion) Josh has a problem, he needs help, he is in danger, etc.

As for Josh Gordon as a person, he has almost zero credibility. That he still finds it necessary to make snide remarks in a passive aggressive "open letter" is once again quite embarrassing and shameful.

There is just a touch of hypocrisy in these two statements, no?

What credibility does a media pundit have to make such a smug diagnosis that Josh Gordon doesn't have to defend himself to said pundits?

It's a bit absurd that people will call it an embarrassment to defend himself from numerous character attacks. Simply being subject to the media's character attacks warrants a civil response and that's exactly what Gordon did.

He gave background about some of what he believes are the core issues of this substance abuse, and he owned his failures as an adult.

As a fan, I get that it pisses you off and that he should just sit there and take it. It's what has been done by just about anyone else in his position.

Old adage, never bicker with someone who buys ink by the barrel.

But it got personal with Josh, and he's got a right to respond. What he needs to do now is back that up with any sort of comeback.

"Character attacks?" The guy has been busted for violating drug policies like half a dozen times by this point! And had a DUI to boot! Is it out of the realm of possibility to insinuate he may have a problem? I'm not going to go out of my way to defend media "pundits" because you know what I think about most of these people, but come on. They're paid to go on the air and talk about this shit, what are they supposed to say about Josh Gordon when he has his umpteenth violation? Serious question, what should they say? Again, is it out of the realm of possibility that they might think he has a problem?

I was pissed off at him the last two times he did something. Now it's just expected and doesn't surprise me anymore. The guy is just a moron, plain and simple. I mean that in the sense that he just is not very intelligent at all. It's hard to get mad at Manny Ramirez for some of his stupid shit because he literally doesn't know any better. Dumb dude. Same situation with Josh Gordon.

Josh could have come out and said he doesn't have an issue of addiction in a statement, and said a few other words. He didn't have to write a super passive aggressive letter, "You don't know me man! I come from the hood man! My life is so hard man! I'm the unluckiest person EVER, from the mean streets of Houston!" (He actually ... said that....) If he just made a statement "defending himself" and basically saying he isn't an addict and these people are off base, I might respect him a tiny bit more. As it stands, writing a novella literally firing darts at everybody when HE is the problem, was just laughable to me.

IMO he is so far past the "time to back up his words!" schtick that I find it laughable that you said that (I don't mean that to be facetious towards you, b00b). It's time for Josh to back up his words here! Not the first, second, third, fourth, or fifth time...now he's gotta back his shit up and show us who's boss!!! :chuckle: At what point do you just accept this is a dumb charade and this guy is who he is?

TL;DR

I just find that he has no accountability at all, and he has let the fans and his teammates down so many times now and while he apologized for it, it just doesn't come off as sincere at all when it's mixed in with attacks on other people and him rationalizing his actions. An apology mixed in with a rationalization is never a true apology. Just sad. He's hurt and embarrassed the Browns and the fans so much now. I don't know how anyone can defend him. Boggling my mind right now. We're talking about a guy with a giant pot leaf on his body. And he's trying to sell that he's "moved on" from that stuff and doesn't use and simply got "unlucky?" It's like a clown trying to split the atom. Zero credibility.

So has anyone called out the enablers he went to vegas with (I know Haden was one)? Could you imagine if it was Johnny?

Doesn't sound like we are cutting him, which I think is the smartest move to insure that if John Gordon has a great career in the NFL it is with us or at least we get his stock to improve so we can actually get something for him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12275102/nfl-suspends-josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-least-one-year

The NFL officially announced Tuesday that Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon has been suspended without pay for at least one year for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Gordon's suspension begins immediately, the league said.

"As we have conveyed, we are disappointed to once again be at this point with Josh," Browns general manager Ray Farmer said in a statement.

"Throughout his career we have tried to assist him in getting support like we would with any member of our organization. Unfortunately our efforts have not resonated with him. It is evident that Josh needs to make some substantial strides to live up to the positive culture we are trying to build this football team upon. Our hope is that this suspension affords Josh the opportunity to gain some clarity in determining what he wants to accomplish moving forward and if he wants a career in the Nation Football League. We will have no further comment on Josh as he will not be permitted in our facility for the duration of his suspension."

Gordon tested positive for alcohol, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter last month.

Gordon was arrested on July 5, 2014, and charged with driving while impaired after speeding down a street in Raleigh, North Carolina. Gordon was previously suspended for the first two games of the 2013 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Josh Gordon officially suspended one year by the league, begins immediately.

Does he have a mama? She must not care about her baby because he's a train wreck.

I'll admit that I know very little about Josh Gordon and NFL policy, but it seems like BS. The only thing I hold against Josh Gordon is the DUI, which he didn't get suspended for (am I correct on that?). Everything he has been suspended for is behavior that most of the country is doing and is either legal everywhere, or in select states. In fact, I'm confident the people suspending him have engaged in the same behavior, but somehow Gordon has a problem. I cannot imagine losing my job for practically two years for a joint and two beers. It seems as though the NFL has a bigger privacy issue than Gordon has a drug issue. I don't think employers have any right to check people for alcohol usage. If all American employers did unannounced drug tests tomorrow, what percentage of the workforce would we lose?

Once again, I know very little about the situation; is he really in trouble and at risk of hitting bottom, or is he just getting caught doing something barely harmful that most people do, but don't get caught?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."