• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Rate the last movie you saw

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
whisper

critically acclaimed. showed incredible promise. imo? so many plot holes. also, couldnt be any more anticlimactic. twice.

Happiness is One of the most disturbing movies I've ever watched. Anyone seen this? Jesus.

Your post, once again, had me wandering down the rabbit hole of "disturbing" movies... Read the synopsis of Happiness and I am not sure I'd want to watch... I googled it to find out it's about the 30th most disturbing movie on a list of 100..

Enter 120 Days of Sodom.. This was #1 on the list, so I started digging to see what makes it so disturbing.. Well, I found the full-length film on Vimeo and begun watching. I skipped a couple of seconds here and there, so I guess I didn't fully watch it, but I got the message. Also, the Italian language was a challenge as I only know a limited amount... I did read an analysis, though..

Let me just say.. Wow. Disturbing. For a multitude of reasons. The most obvious is the disgusting display of sodomy, eating of shit, rape, etc... The power dynamic in the movie is supposed to mock facism and boy does it.. Another thing I found disturbing was how secluded the movie was.. For the most part, it was shot in one mansion and, generally, it had that small & suffocating feeling. I find the seclusion intensifies the hopelessness in this, kind-of like in Requiem. It definitely left me feeling uncomfortable yesterday well after finishing.

I just read the synopsis for "Happiness" and...no thanks. I have to ask why anyone would even want to watch it after reading that.

I just read the synopsis for "Happiness" and...no thanks. I have to ask why anyone would even want to watch it after reading that.

It has it's upsides. It's "real," which I guess makes it interesting.

If awkwardness is a paintbrush, it's a piece of art.

It has it's upsides. It's "real," which I guess makes it interesting.

If awkwardness is a paintbrush, it's a piece of art.

Well, here's Wikipedia describing one plotline in the movie:

Trish Maplewood, the eldest Jordan sister, is an upper middle class housewife happily married to psychiatrist Bill Maplewood and has three children. Unbeknownst to Trish, however, Bill is a pedophile. He develops an obsession with 11-year-old Johnny Grasso, a classmate of his son, Billy. When Johnny comes for a sleepover, Bill drugs Johnny and then sodomizes him while he is unconscious. Later, he learns that another boy, Ronald Farber, is home alone while his parents are away in Europe. Under the guise of attending a PTA meeting, Bill drives to the boy's house and rapes him. After Johnny is taken to the hospital and found to have been sexually abused, the police arrive at the Maplewood residence to question Bill. After alerting his wife to the police presence, Bill begins by asking the two detectives, "You said something about Ronald Farber?" The two detectives, looking puzzled, say nothing. Bill then stammers, "I mean, Johnny Grasso." Out on bail, he tearfully admits to Billy that he abused the boys, that he enjoyed it, and that he would do it again. When Billy asks, "Would you ever fuck me?", his father replies, "No... I'd jerk off instead."

So, no thanks.

The Rite - 6/10

This is a poor mans exorcist without the scare. This is something that pro-christians would enjoy more as it is more theological- And this actually makes the movie unique. Our hero - dunno who joins a college to become a father but he has questions about faith and if God is real. His professor then sends him to Rome where he can learn from Anthony Hopkins a renowned exorcist. What happens there is the rest of the story.

Draft Day - 6.5/10

This is a nice sports oriented drama which is very well directed but there really is not enough stuff in here for someone to be impressed with. You are not going to be wowed but you will not feel like you wasted your time. If you a Browns fan it gets more interesting as you will look at different parts of Cleveland and try to play the hey i remember this place game.

SuperNova - 4/10

1 star - James Spader. 1 start - boobies. 1 star - CGI. 1 star - promising start. This is a poor man's Event Horizon without the scare.

Would have thought for sure you could have ridden a donkey.

Behold! Stanley Jones: The Wadi Dwelling Donkey of FOB Caldwell.

Donkey_zpswy4okkgu.jpg

Oldboy: 9/10

fucking amazing movie, but that ending absolutely killed me. Best movie I've seen all year, amazing acting, great plot, beautifully shot... really no criticism i can think of. definitely worth watching, just make sure you watch the original Korean version as the remake by all accounts is absolutely atrocious.

To the documentary fans...

The Imposter 8.5/10

A kid goes missing from Texas for 3.5 years and is found in Spain. Gets into the movie very quick and keeps you interested. A little boring because most of it is the family and him talking about the situation...happened in the 80s? Pretty crazy. A lot of twists. Good movie.
ah, i've been meaning to watch this since release! just haven't gotten around to it yet.

nightcrawler - 8.5/10. i'm embarrassingly behind on 2014 movies, but this is very close to the top of the years' list and i doubt that changes much once i catch up. jake not getting an oscar nom was highway robbery and just reaffirms that most major award shows are a joke. he has been crushing it the past few years - his other 2014 film 'enemy' is also a must-watch.

laggies - like 5/10. rockwell brought it, as always, but that couldn't save it from becoming a cheesy romcom with no depth at all.

Watched 2 movies on Netflix recently:

In Burges - 7/10 Brit flick. I wouldn't exactly call it a comedy, but not really a drama either. Dry humor. Violent at times. A bit slow. Plot stretched it at times. Ignoring that, not a bad movie. Acting was good, but something was missing.

Wetlands - ?/10 (not a 5,6,7,8,9,10). German flick. I just don't what to say about it. One of those movies that I never made it to the end. First 10-5 minutes or so, I was thinking ….. wtf? wtf? wtf? I knew I wasn't going to like it, but I had to keep watching it to see how the plot developed. I lasted about an hour into it, perhaps a bit more. Given the theme a certain poster here might like it. Some people found a 'beautiful' tale being told in it. I didn't. Nonetheless, I would definitely recommend watching it with a chick, if wanting a different sort of chick flick. If she likes it, she's a keeper.

Just saw American Sniper with the wife. Wow. Incredibly tense, sad, and did a great job of showing the dehumanization and emotional toll of war. Completely at a loss to explain the criticism of those who saw this as pro-war or jingoistic. I think there's some projection going on there.

Also, Cockneys v. Zombies. Sort of a less-creative Shaun of the Dead, but quite a lot of fun. Seeing a bunch of geezers holding off zombies -- including one old guy trying to out "run" them in his walker -- was pretty entertaining.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."