• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2015 NBA Draft Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I don't think we want a 'developmental big'. We don't want to develop our way right through Lebron's retirement. This team's window is now. Grab a junior or senior who has solid size and one skill set that will give you something now, and plug him in as a backup. We gave up on developmental/future when we made the Wiggins trade, it's CHAMPIONSHIP TIME folks!
Ideally want a happy medium. Guy good enough to get minutes, as 4th/5th big but who still has there best basketball ahead of them in 2-3 years.

So I hope someone more knowledgeable about college basketball can help me out here. I've watched Kentucky play the last few weekends, but that's about it for the year. Willie Cauley-Stein is much improved and seems to be a legit NBA prospect from my eyes. Am I right here? If so where do we think he is going to be picked? Should the Cavs have any interest?

So I hope someone more knowledgeable about college basketball can help me out here. I've watched Kentucky play the last few weekends, but that's about it for the year. Willie Cauley-Stein is much improved and seems to be a legit NBA prospect from my eyes. Am I right here? If so where do we think he is going to be picked? Should the Cavs have any interest?

Guys been pegged as a top 10 pick all year.

Guys been pegged as a top 10 pick all year.
Thanks. It's probably pretty obvious I don't really follow college basketball or the draft until about, well, nowish.

Phil Jackson at the Ohio State game to scout D'Angelo Russell.

He represented the Knicks with their usual level of aptitude:

If it is possible to move up a few slots.. Sam Decker is a player I would love to get if a center is out of reach. We really need a wing coming of the bench besides Shump. Marion is gone after this year, and Mike miller looks like he is at the end of the line, and I would rather not waste a roster spot on James Jones next year.

How about Rasheed Sulaimon in the 2nd rd or even free agency? Also Justin Anderson in the 20s would be a steal as I like his defensive versatility, outside shooting, rebounding, and he has a nasty streak on the court.

How about Rasheed Sulaimon in the 2nd rd or even free agency? Also Justin Anderson in the 20s would be a steal as I like his defensive versatility, outside shooting, rebounding, and he has a nasty streak on the court.

Wasn't Sulaimon recently kicked off the team?

I don't watch much college basketball, so just a general observation here: we have a nice team to get drafted into, particularly for a big. If he has the will and the raw talent, we have:

-Mozgov who knows Blatt's system well and has a hot gf.
-Love who has the stretch game and is an excellent passer, great rebounder.
-TT who is actually an excellent garbage man. In fact, I really think his consistency of playing hard every night deserves some props. That's tough for a young player to do, but he does play like a championship piece, even if he looked a bit nervous against Houston.
-Perkins who is your tough enforcer type and I forgot who tweeted it, but was called one of the realest players in the league by an ex-teammate.
-Don't forget AV, who might never be the same but moves really well without the ball, has a great "nose" for causing trouble on both ends of the floor, takes a ton of charges, and has at times in his career been a rebounding machine.

I can't pretend to know how the off-season will unfold, but that's a formidable group of players with diverse skill sets. I think a Tyson Chandler-ish player, capable of the lob and a plus defender, would be a good fit and potential insurance for Perk/AV, but I wouldn't want to send them to the D-League. It's just that the roster is really filled up for bigs, so maybe they roll with the "soft" big with a jumper, and have our guys toughen him up.

On the wing or as a backup PG, I think we need a really mature player, a FIT IN player if you will. It makes me think we might grab a Kentucky player if we get a late pick, since most of our shot attempts are accounted for by the talent of our roster. Personally, I think Delly is progressing nicely and would target the backup 3-4 position. One of the things our revamped roster does extremely well is defend the 3 ball (last I checked) and have the capability to switch on pick and rolls. So I would look for a plus defender who shoots a high percentage inside of 6 feet. And before I forget, whoever we draft, I think we have seen the importance of making sure that the player is NOT a knucklehead. No more knuckleheads, no matter what. They must be sponges for what Blatt and our other players have to teach them.

I've projected the Cavs' pick landing at #24 (Cavs will get the lower of the Chicago or Cleveland pick due to the Deng trade). If the season ended today, the Cavs would get the #22 pick.

DX currently projects the #24 pick as Justin Anderson from UVa. This is interesting because I think for the Cavs he is the best fit of the wings in the 20-30 range. His stat line is actually very similar to Jimmy Butler's at Marquette. Both are also 3 year players. Similar height and weight, but Anderson has a huge advantage in length.

The other stat he is clearly outshining Butler is his 3 point shooting. He's put up huge numbers this year on high volume. It is rather unusual to find a player who combines great length and good shooting.

Other points in his favor: Projects as a plus defender. A willing passer, with very strong assist to turnover ratios. I just think he has a defined role on this team as a 3 and D guy, and it's at least plausible that he could come in next year and contribute. I say this even though my expectation is that rookies will not play much, especially on good teams.

Negatives: Before this season, there was really nothing about him that stood out, or that made you think he was anything more than a dime a dozen athletic wing with limited skill. He was known mainly as a defensive player prior to this year, but his 3 point shooting has come out of nowhere. What gives me confidence is that he is taking 6 shots per 40 (at 48%). There is also the fact he has been out with a finger injury. Some players are just injury prone, and you need to beware of players with injury histories. On the flipside, this is a minor injury that won't affect him going forward. This injury wouldn't affect my decision to draft him.

I'm not saying he is the next Jimmy Butler, but I am surprised he isn't rated a little higher by DX. I'm also not saying he is definitely the guy I would select, but I think he clearly would be if I were taking a wing.

I've projected the Cavs' pick landing at #24 (Cavs will get the lower of the Chicago or Cleveland pick due to the Deng trade). If the season ended today, the Cavs would get the #22 pick.

DX currently projects the #24 pick as Justin Anderson from UVa. This is interesting because I think for the Cavs he is the best fit of the wings in the 20-30 range. His stat line is actually very similar to Jimmy Butler's at Marquette. Both are also 3 year players. Similar height and weight, but Anderson has a huge advantage in length.

The other stat he is clearly outshining Butler is his 3 point shooting. He's put up huge numbers this year on high volume. It is rather unusual to find a player who combines great length and good shooting.

Other points in his favor: Projects as a plus defender. A willing passer, with very strong assist to turnover ratios. I just think he has a defined role on this team as a 3 and D guy, and it's at least plausible that he could come in next year and contribute. I say this even though my expectation is that rookies will not play much, especially on good teams.

Negatives: Before this season, there was really nothing about him that stood out, or that made you think he was anything more than a dime a dozen athletic wing with limited skill. He was known mainly as a defensive player prior to this year, but his 3 point shooting has come out of nowhere. What gives me confidence is that he is taking 6 shots per 40 (at 48%). There is also the fact he has been out with a finger injury. Some players are just injury prone, and you need to beware of players with injury histories. On the flipside, this is a minor injury that won't affect him going forward. This injury wouldn't affect my decision to draft him.

I'm not saying he is the next Jimmy Butler, but I am surprised he isn't rated a little higher by DX. I'm also not saying he is definitely the guy I would select, but I think he clearly would be if I were taking a wing.

Sounds like a top 10 guy the way you're describing him as :chuckle:

What are the thoughts out there on Frank the Tank Kaminsky?

Sounding like Cliff Alexander will have to declare with this business with him and his family and the NCAA.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."