• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2015 Browns Mock Draft Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I will be disappointed in the Browns use a 1st rounder on a RT. You don't need top of the draft guys at every offensive line position. Thomas, Mack, Bitonio are all high draft guys and elite level guys. We need servicable guys on the other side. Also, guess what when Mack comes back, magically those guys on the right side that are 'awful' look a whole helluva lot better.

If we want to use a 3rd rounder on a guy to play RG or RT, I'm good with that. Stick to skill guys or run stuffers this year in the 1st 2 rounds.

I would like Greco to go back to the utility lineman, if they took care of RT last summer the Browns wouldn't have been as screwed by Mack's injury... but the team didn't lose games just because McDonald was a terrible center. The lack of run defense needs attention.

I can see a scenario where Farmer/Pettine focus the first two picks on attempting to make the defense elite.

It seems almost mandatory that a DL will be picked at 12 or 19. (Candidates: Shelton, Brown, Goldman, Phillips). My dream scenario is Ngata is a salary cap casualty and gets picked up by the Browns.

Shaq Thompson would be a very interesting addition to the defense since he is versatile enough to play safety and linebacker. Dontae Whitner is what he is at this point in his career. Will he be there at pick 19?

In my hypothetical the reason Winston drops to 12 is he has bust written all over him, not because anything else happens. Bust not because of a lack of talent, but because he's a knucklehead. I just don't see him having the maturity/mental makeup to make it in the NFL. I pass on him personally, at any draft slot in the first round.

I agree with you guys about it being absurd to draft a RT in the first round. At some point we may want to draft an upper tier LT and play him at RT for a couple seasons and then slide him to LT, because Joe Thomas can't play forever, but that's probably not a worry for several more years at least. We have 3 all-pro caliber guys on our offensive line, which is more than most teams do. That's plenty, and its not like Schwartz is terrible or anything. He sucks in comparison to those 3 guys but he'd be an adequate starter on most teams in the NFL, and that's what he is here. He looked bad when Weeden was camping out in the pocket, and having Johnny run around like an idiot won't do him any favors, but when Hoyer was back there getting the ball out in a timely manner he was perfectly fine. I don't really even think we need to draft an OL at all this year unless its a project later on or we get a really high value pick in the middle rounds, like on the same level of value as Bitonio was at his draft slot. I like Greco enough as a serviceable RG, or plug Seymour in there and have Greco be the utility guy. Bowie has some promise at T. If there is even a 9th/10th lineman on the final roster and they're playing, that's the equivalent of putting in Brendan Haywood to play meaningful minutes in the playoffs (i.e. we're screwed if that many people are injured).

I hope we go defensive front 7 with both first rounders because I think that takes our defense from good to dominant, and there just isn't a QB worth it where we're picking. WR in the 2nd would be nice. Farmer doesn't really like WR's that high but there's a good crop of them this year.

If Winston falls to 12, he did so for a reason. You pass.

Also, I'm getting tired of seeing people claim that we need to draft a RT in the first round. I think mock drafts are simply trying to fill needs with 1st rounders right now, rather than seeing the whole picture. The Browns absolutely do not need to spend a 1st rounder on a damn RT. They need run stoppers with athletic ability, pass catchers, and a QB. Not a fucking Right Tackle.
This. I feel like somewhere along the line between 1999 and 2013, Browns fans (several of my friends included) were brainwashed into thinking we have a perpetually inept offensive line that constantly needs top tier, first round re-tooling.

I'm here to tell you people... With a healthy Mack, that line is pretty fucking stout. We have two 1s and two 2s on that line right now. Enough.

SB Nation 2 rounds:

12. Cleveland Browns: DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville
General manager Ray Farmer doesn’t seem to care for wide receivers high in the draft, but how do we really know he’s not laying a smoke screen? He’s only been in charge of one draft, so it’s ridiculous to jump to conclusions about his drafting tendencies. In Cleveland the need at the position is too great and Parker is too great of a talent to pass up.

19. Cleveland Browns (via Buffalo Bills): Malcolm Brown, DT, Texas
Even if the Browns don’t take a defensive lineman with their first pick in the draft, they should have plenty of options with the No. 19 choice. The thing to follow here is the buzz around Brown. It’s building as the draft approaches because he’s an athletic big man with light feet. Those type of defensive tackles don’t often last long in the draft. If he’s there at 19, the Browns should pounce.

43. Cleveland Browns: Owamagbe Odighizuwa, DE, UCLA
The Browns might lose Jabaal Sheard in free agency, and a player like Odighizuwa could be brought in as his replacement.

Other key names out there we have been linked to that went in this draft.... (White/Cooper/Shelton/Fowler/MM/Beasley went above)

13. New Orleans Saints: Shane Ray, DE/OLB, Missouri
With Ray being unable to work out at the combine, some are down on the Missouri pass rusher. That could lead him to drop some in the draft, but this is about the right range for him to get picked.

15. San Francisco 49ers: Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State
Okay, so maybe Dorial Green-Beckham isn’t a good character fit for the 49ers. If the 49ers go with a wide receiver in the first round, and the first top three are gone and DGB isn’t being considered, Strong is the next best option. He’s coming off an impressive combine, and could be ascending up the draft.

28. Denver Broncos: Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota
Forget Williams’ iffy combine performance. He didn’t run as fast as some expect, but it doesn’t matter. There are certain players who time fast, but don’t play up to that speed. Williams, who ran a 4.78 in the 40, seems to play faster than he times. He’s a weapon at tight end, and would be a nice replacement for Julius Thomas.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford
The Colts need to add talent on the offensive line. A player of Peat’s quality should be able to come in as a rookie and challenge Gosder Cherilus for the starting right tackle job. Frankly, he could probably start for the Colts at left tackle too.

31. Seattle Seahawks: Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Missouri
Don’t be surprised if Green-Beckham ends up sliding in the draft, but that should stop with Seattle. He’s too good of a player to fall out of the first round, even though he’s surrounded by question marks on and off the field.

34. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Bud Dupree, DE/OLB, Kentucky
There are some worries about Dupree’s production, so his draft placement can vary widely. If he drops to the second round, the Buccaneers should pounce and add a player who can generate a pass rush.

46. San Francisco 49ers: Mario Edwards, DE, Florida State
Edwards is the type of defensive lineman who would fit perfectly in a 3-4 system. He’s a powerful end who can play the run and has good length.

49. Kansas City Chiefs: Nelson Agholor, WR, Southern California
Agholor might not have the big play ability of some of the first-round receivers, but he’s as dependable as any of them. He has good hands and enough wiggle to make people miss in the open field.

52. Philadelphia Eagles: Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA
Surprise! It seems apparent that the Eagles will use a draft pick at some point this year on a quarterback. After Mariota and Winston are gone, why not go with the one with the most potential? That’s Hundley, whom Chip Kelly made a strong push to recruit while at Oregon.

58. Baltimore Ravens: Devin Funchess, WR, Michigan
He might not be a wide receiver. He might not be a tight end. Forget it. It doesn’t matter. Just get Funchess in space and get him the ball. He can be a scary threat in Baltimore’s offense.

60. Dallas Cowboys: Trey Flowers, DE, Arkansas
Flowers is a versatile power rusher that the Cowboys could use on either side of the line and can even squeeze inside in certain situations.

63. Seattle Seahawks: Clive Walford, TE, Miami
At this point, Walford would be too good of a value to pass up. He’s a sure-handed tight end with surprising athleticism and good blocking skills.

Pete Prisco (Senior NFL Columnist) CBS Mock Draft:

12. Cleveland Browns -- West Virginia WR Kevin White: After passing on a receiver last year, they have to get one this time. This long receiver would be a big help.

19. Cleveland Browns -- Louisville WR DeVante Parker: They passed on a receiver last year. With Josh Gordon gone, they can't do it again.

:foolish (3):

That would be the best Browns draft since 99.

12. Cleveland Browns -- West Virginia WR Kevin White: After passing on a receiver last year, they have to get one this time. This long receiver would be a big help.

19. Cleveland Browns -- Louisville WR DeVante Parker: They passed on a receiver last year. With Josh Gordon gone, they can't do it again.

Ray Farmer scoffs at Pete Prisco's projection the the Browns will pick two wide receivers in the first round.

Kevin white at 12? Yes... but wtf with 19?

That made me laugh.

Dude clearly just copy/paste my picks from last week.

Browns Off-Season Mock (3/4)

Browns sign:

QB - Josh McCown
WR - Brian Hartline
DL TBD
OLB Jerry Hughes

Draft:

1 - 12 - Malcom Brown - DL - Texas - Still sticking with Brown as the target here. Just too much of a sure thing.

**TRADE**
- The Browns, looking for weapons with this pick, decide to move down a few spots and add an additional third round pick for their trouble. With the Top 3 WR off the board (presumably), it makes a ton of sense for them to move back and acquire....

1 - (mid20s) - Chris Conley - WR - Georgia - People are going to call this an overreaction to the combine, but it's probably not. Conley elevated his stock to be considered in this range. He's got incredible speed and lateral quicks to go along with superb hands and separation skills.

2 - Bryce Petty - QB - Baylor - Has the intelligence to succeed and the physical skills to be special. All he needs is time and stability with a system (fingers crossed).

3 - Trey Flowers - DL - Arkansas - Adds to what now looks like a strong defensive front seven with the additions of Brown, FA TBD and Hughes.

3 (via trade) - Jeff Heuerman - TE - Ohio State - One of the more underrated guys in the draft, underutilized by a system that didn't need him to be a receiver. Pretty polished and has good athleticism, could be a good fit at the F-TE position in the new offense.

4 - Mitch Morse - OL - Mizzou - Had him in my last mock as well. Can play all over the line, smart and knows how to win at the POA. Showed decent enough athleticism at the combine to make me think he can play tackle at the next level.

4 (via Bills) - Ramik Wilson - LB - Georgia - (Assuming Ben Heeney is gone) Another Dawg, Wilson gets put into an advantageous position of only needing to play special teams in 2015. Needs to continue to improve his technique, gets himself put out of position too much. Solid add for the future with Dansby and CRob in doubt long-term.

5 - Kyle Emanuel - OLB - North Dakota State - Developmental pass rushing prospect with a good motor and enough athleticism.

6 - Brandon Ivory - NT - Alabama - With Ish Kitchen already an RFA and with Rubin out the door, they'll need depth here.

6 (via Balt) - Jordan Richards - SS - Stanford - Run stuffing safety in the Donte Whitner mold, would have a great mentor to learn the defense and eventually take over for.

7 - Matt Jones - RB - Florida - Got pretty well banged up this season, but would be a nice compliment to West and Cro as a bigger guy who can move a pile.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."