• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Browns Quarterback Position

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
They're all below-average starters, but the fact that Sanchez/Locker are both clear upgrades over McCown and being passed over is a pretty legitimate reason for fans to gripe. The cherry on top is McCown somehow getting a three-year contract as well, that's mind-boggling to me.

Just another terrible signing for the Browns. McCown's now parlayed one half season of good football into another bloated contract from a team hoping to recapture that magic from 2013.

I think you're overestimating the idea that McCown is going to start for this team. The reason that they didn't sign those guys is because both would want to start, and I think the plan is to either let Johnny play and see what they have in him or draft a guy and let him start after week 4. Either way, I don't think Josh plays much.

The whole three year thing is pointless to worry about. TB cut him after a year, and so could the Browns.

I'd like to know what Johnny really has going on. LeBron reached out to him before he went into rehab and he ignored him...

As much as I know that LeBron is one of the few positive influences in his life, maybe he realizes that he needs to cut ties with all the people that came into his life because of "Johnny Football?"

He could also be ashamed of everything?

Number of years in an NFL contract means squat, really. Hell, total money in an NFL contract doesn't even really mean anything.

The only thing that really matters is guaranteed $

Here are my 10 non-optimist thoughts on Cade McNown. I started with 20 and worked it down. Sorry, Luke McCown. Fuck, whoever he is:

10. Let's get this out of the way: He is about to be 36 years old by the time next season is winding down. That makes him two years younger than Tim Couch. For a guy who has spent five of his 12 seasons as a designated starter, I am left wondering why he is still in the league. He is basically Tim Couch in games started: Couch had 59 starts while McCown had 49 in his career.

9. What has he done on the field in his career? Well Couch finished his career with a completion percentage of 59.8% and 11,131 yards on 1714 attempts, 64 touchdowns to 67 interceptions. And we couldn't stand the guy, despite some ups and several downs. McCown in all his years as a healthy player has a 58.8 percentage, 11,033 yards on 1664 attempts with 61 touchdowns to 59 interceptions. So, we are talking about a guy who did Tim Couch things over the course of more years, but not for an expansion team.

8. All things even, you might get excited about Tortoise Tim Couch and be nostalgic for Hare Tim Couch, who crammed a career into five seasons. But McCown was surrounded by some talent. In Arizona he had The ghost of Emmett Smith, Anquan Boldin, and Larry Fitzgerald. In Chicago, He had Forte, Jefferey, and Marshall. In Tampa he had Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans. Did Tim Couch have any player at any time that good?

7. This leads me to his selling points in the press: He gets along with the new OC and he will be a mentor to the assumed younger quarterback who will be groomed to start. I'm sorry, but didn't the Browns hire an OC who specializes in developing quarterbacks? And didn't the Browns invest in the best QB coach who works independently with QB prospects as a private consultant? And now they need a mentor for a young QB? This seems like a complete overkill with three guys all doing the same thing. Look, I've worked with youth a long time. I've never seen a situation work out where one problem child gets three mentors and it works better than one kid who gives a shit with one mentor. Never.

6. So the overkill of mentors doesn't lead me to believe the team wants to trade for a veteran starter. A veteran starter with a 35 year old backup and the legion of QB gurus doesn't add up. Is it possible the Browns want to develop Manziel and another rookie QB? The press is selling, but I'm not buying. I have always said the best move for the Browns is a guy like Colin Kaepernick or Andy Dalton, some guy who has worn out his welcome with fans elsewhere but is consistently top 10-20 in the league. This move doesn't give me optimism.

5. No team has successfully developed two young QBs at the same time and maintained value on both assets. I've seen teams develop two young QBs and develop one while selling the other for peanuts (Newton and Gabbert) and I've seen both prospects flame out (RG3 and Cousins) but never two fully developing.

4. So, I think we may see Manziel get traded or get the kid glove treatment. I'm willing to pull all negativity if Manziel is traded. Why? Little birdies keep telling us the team leaders hold this past year of fucking around against him. Everyone seems to need a clean slate. More importantly, you don't treat an addict with kid gloves, giving him whatever he wants. That is diametrically the opposite of how you deal with someone who is addicted and deep in the manipulation of addiction. Giving Johnny a cakewalk to starting rather than competition on the field would make a drug and alcohol counselor call his or her sponsor in the middle of the night.

3. You want me to address the Hoyer situation. You are waiting for me to address the Hoyer situation... why not, let's address it. McCown had some challenges last year, but he also had two highly regarded receivers. In his 11 games, he surpassed an 80 QBR twice, and one time it was by a hair at 81.3. I won't pretend that this rating tells the whole and perfect story of a QB's performance, but he basically sucked except for two games. Hoyer was above 80 in QBR for 11 games, with 5 below. He was above 80 in QBR for 8 of the first 9 games, with that Jacksonville stinker the only blemish. If that four game poopy streak that Hoyer put up ended your faith in him, McCown almost tripled it last season. So to all the posters saying McCown was a better option than Hoyer, why is there a severe lack of evidence? I think the texts are being brought to the public and Farmer/Haslam know they are about to look like imbeciles. Hoyer will have no interest in working for them after this goes public - and let's face it, Hoyer probably already knows what he texted - and they wanted a veteran under contract before their gross malfeasance against coaches and player goes public.

2. So McCown is a player who statistically shouldn't play. In fact, he has verbalized to the press he is fine with not playing. That is the most Jason Campbell thing I've heard since Jason Campbell. He is talking like a guy who can't wait to be a QB coach, even though the Browns have two QB coaches on staff already. Why should I have any excitement?

1. Draft a quarterback I can have faith in by 2016 an I can put away my frustration. However, there is no quarterback... NONE that I see being successful as a rookie. This is in part because college football doesn't see itself as a minor league and training ground for the NFL. They want to win on their own level of competition, and t hey should. More people in the country care about college football because it is the game of the small town. There are far more division 1 football teams who have a shot in this nation than NFL teams, and honestly we are getting to the point where the NFL is like 30 Saturday Night Live shows with 30 uber-rich Lorn Michaels barking out of touch orders from behind a monster goblet of white wine. Why should top college football coaches - who have far more job security than an NFL coach - kowtow to a pro style offense? There is no incentive since they see moving out of bigtime college football contracts and into NFL contracts as a punishment for NCAA violations... **cough couch ** Chip Kelly and Pete Carroll.

View: https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/571640989388947457

Recap:
Likes the offense
Really likes the offensive line especially Joe Thomas
Talks about finding common ground and working with Manziel
Definitely looking at mentoring the young QBs
Says "if I play" which leads me to believe he wasn't guaranteed a job

Bottom line on McCown is this... he is a good QB? No. Can he fill in and play a little here or there. He can probably do that. But the real reason we signed him, in my opinion, is he's the best guy out there suited to be a backup QB. He has the skills to play in this league but he knows he's not a starter. He's probably looking to be a coach in the league down the line and this is really his 1st coaching job even though he has a uniform.

Talent for talent, Hoyer might be better but it's close. The difference is, Hoyer still has a desire to be a starting QB. He is looking to do that and in order for him to do that, he has to beat someone out. He doesn't have time to mentor a young QB. He has to take care of his business because this is likely his last shot. 2-3 years from now, Hoyer will be the next Josh McCown.

I hope you guys are right about him being the backup. Otherwise it is the same old mediocre to below mediocre product that fans have to suffer through that produces a last place finish in the AFC North. We dont have an acceptable starter at Qb and the Wr's ar below average right now. They have the next 2-3 months to fix this.

Personally I am done with "having faith" in the organization, until they actually make real upgrades to the roster, and get a viable starting QB that is on par with the rest of the division.
Also, it is hilarious that some fans are already giving this team a built in excuse about the difficulty of the schedule. There is a different damn excuse every year for some of you. New coach, new OC, new qb, young team. Every year it is something different. But, you know what stays the same, a below average product in the fall and some blind optimism that things will change. Blowing the first round set this team back 2-3 years last year (perhaps more depending on how Bridgewater develops.) So far Farmer and Haslem have not provided me as a fan with enough hope or confidence that they can fix this.

So dont be so quick to assume that the top 2 qb's on the team heading into July wont be Mccown and Manziel, and it would not shock me at all if that was the case. Neither are the answer, and honestly it is a complete utter waste of time.

Last edited:
I don't understand the reactions here. The alternative to signing McCown was for the front office to pretend like they were going to solve the QB issue by sending away valuable draft picks or wasting money on a guy that isn't going to be anything more than mediocre anyways - Glennon, Bradford, Locker, Sanchez...

To clarify my point from yesterday, they didn't sign Josh McCown because they're targeting a specific player in the draft.

Way too much uncertainty at this stage, I'm sure they're looking at all options in terms of a QB. McCown grants them some sort of a timetable if they want to wait for a guy like Petty or Grayson as well.

What I'm fearful of is the thought that they did this to have him as a security blanket to Manziel.

So to all the posters saying McCown was a better option than Hoyer, why is there a severe lack of evidence?

The one number that you could point to is completion percentage, which even in a terrible year overall was higher (56.3) than Hoyer's (55.3). Now I'm sure you'll say that this was due to McCown having big receivers and Hoyer being stuck with the lolly pop gang, but Hoyer has never been that accurate even going back to college.

I think the larger reason they preferred McCown to Hoyer though is, as many other people have stated, the fact that McCown is willing to be a backup/mentor to young guys, and I think they made the calculation that Hoyer is not the answer for the future so they would rather go the development route whether it's with Johnny or some other new guy they bring in through the draft.

Ultimately, I think that's the best thing for everybody, and Hoyer should be tickle pink that the Browns did him a solid and potentially cleared his way to Buffalo, who I have always felt would give him the best chance to succeed by not asking him to do a lot and just running the ball and playing great defense.

We can go back and forth on the arguable differences between Hoyer and McCown, and by all means travel down that rabbit hole of mediocrity.

What it more likely comes down to is McCown's willingness to be a backup and short-term starter, whereas Hoyer believes he is an unquestioned starter and obviously has a bit of a problem with players being acquired to beat him out.

We can go back and forth on the arguable differences between Hoyer and McCown, and by all means travel down that rabbit hole of mediocrity.

I never meant to imply that McCown was good by any stretch of the imagination.

What it more likely comes down to is McCown's willingness to be a backup and short-term starter, whereas Hoyer believes he is an unquestioned starter and obviously has a bit of a problem with players being acquired to beat him out.

I put out my comparison to Hoyer as a small point within a long analysis. I agree this point doesn't amount to much going forward and don't wish to belabor it, but I didn't see Hoyer have much of a problem with the Browns acquiring another QB. He beat Manziel out without much difficulty. This narrative doesn't hold much water. The bigger issue is a front office that doesn't want Manziel to have a serious competition. And that is troubling.

I put out my comparison to Hoyer as a small point within a long analysis. I agree this point doesn't amount to much going forward and don't wish to belabor it, but I didn't see Hoyer have much of a problem with the Browns acquiring another QB. He beat Manziel out without much difficulty. This narrative doesn't hold much water. The bigger issue is a front office that doesn't want Manziel to have a serious competition. And that is troubling.

Sure, he didn't have a problem when he beat out Manziel.

When he lost his job through continued terrible play, he still felt pretty clearly that he was entitled to be the starter.

That, was troubling. Clearly he's not a viable, long-term starter in this league. He has to understand that no team is going to invest in him as their starter and inevitably embrace the role he's in as a placeholder.

His career may be longer because of it.

He beat Manziel out without much difficulty.

From all accounts, that wasn't much of a hurdle to jump over due to Johnny's lack of commitment.

The bigger issue is a front office that doesn't want Manziel to have a serious competition.

I think it's more of trying to find out what they have in the guy so that they can move on if needed. Was it troubling that Oakland went into the year with Carr as the starter, allowing them to evaluate him and for him to get a year of experience?

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."