• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Matthew Dellavedova

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
rather Shump do the backup PG duties then see Delly on the court for over 30mins again. Team went on a run when Delly was out and Blatt put him in and all hell broke loose again.
Hell didn't break loose because he came back in. Delly hit a big 3 when he came back in and you can't blame him for Smith taking a stupid shot and then turning the ball over in consecutive possessions and then James Jones turning it over right after. And did you watch the game yesterday because Shump can't play the PG position. Delly wasn't hitting shots yesterday but neither was Love and he only shot so much because Indiana's defense wasn't allowing other guys to get open. He still had a double double and 5 assists.

Last edited:
Hell didn't break loose because he came back in. Delly hit a big 3 when he came back in and you can't blame him for Smith taking a stupid shot and then turning the ball over in consecutive possessions and then James Jones turning it over right after. And did you watch the game yesterday because can't play the PG position. Delly wasn't hitting shots yesterday but neither was Love and he only shit so much because Indianas's defense wasn't allowing other guys to get open. He still had a double double and 5 assists.
He can play PG a lot better then Delly. I've seen him do it in college and his rookie year with the knicks. Good thing Blatt like what he saw from Shump we'll see less of Delly at point.

I don't get the love for Delly. He is not good enough of a player to be a 2nd stringer on a championship team. I'd much rather take my chances with a free agent like Nate Robinson or Jordan Farmar.

Every coaching staff that has ever coached the guy strongly disagrees with you. There is a lot more to contributing to winning basketball than flashy scoring.

Delly is a perfectly acceptable guy to play 5-13mins a game.

The problem with Delly, is that the combination of his lack of physical tools as well as no discernable NBA level skills (beyond spot up shooting) makes him unplayable in most situations. Last game just happened to be one of them.

Delly is a third string PG, 11-15 guy miscast as a Backup PG. You can't really fault him for that and it's something I expect to be addressed this offseason.

Regarding Shumpert, for some reason his handles have went to shit since he tore up his knee a couple years back.

Every coaching staff that has ever coached the guy strongly disagrees with you. There is a lot more to contributing to winning basketball than flashy scoring.

Delly is a perfectly acceptable guy to play 5-13mins a game.

And Owen Marecic was the best football player Jim Harbaugh ever coached...

What I'm getting at is, just because coaches praise the player it doesn't mean they are great by any means. Coaches love players who always play at 110% giving it there all for every second of a game. Just because coaches like him doesn't mean they are a good player.

I think Delly can be a part of this team to spell us for defense for 5-7mins a game in the playoffs. Any more than that and something is wrong. He definitely isnt talented enough to run with the 2's on this team. I don't want either of the 2 mentioned above, I just feel we have enough ball handlers without having to give Delly significant minutes.

Last edited:
I don't get the love for Delly. He is not good enough of a player to be a 2nd stringer on a championship team. I'd much rather take my chances with a free agent like Nate Robinson or Jordan Farmar.

Farmar signed overseas, so he is not a free agent.

And Owen Marecic was the best football player Jim Harbaugh ever coached...

What I'm getting at is, just because coaches praise the player it doesn't mean they are great by any means. Coaches love players who always play at 110% giving it there all for every second of a game. Just because coaches like him doesn't mean they are a good player.

I think Delly can be a part of this team to spell us for defense for 5-7mins a game in the playoffs. Any more than that and something is wrong. He definitely isnt talented enough to run with the 2's on this team. I don't want either of the 2 mentioned above, I just feel we have enough ball handlers without having to give Delly significant minutes.

Yeah and i'm not arguing against that. The issue that I'm seeing is that people are critiquing the guy like he is a major cog. It is incredibly likely that he won't even see the floor in the playoffs save for maybe a minute or two to end quarters.

I get that this was unusual game with both our primary playmakers out but it was a bit of shock for the Cavs to revert to a LeDelly offense.

Frankly would have rather had Shump, JR Smith to create a lot more with Love in the high post. Would have been a good game to experiment with some plays that you could theoretically run to trick the defense or throw a different wrinkle when teams over play Lebron or Kyrie. Or run plays like Minny did with Love last year. LeDelly is not something I went to see again (now opposing teams on the other hand may have different opinion)

Can't believe some people on this site: in the game yesterday Schum did play point but his ball handling and decision making sucks; Smith takes stupid shots and turns the ball over; Jones is a walking stiff; Love has the heart of a peanut and needs to take lessons from Delly on how to put your body on the line; but all we can do is have a go at a second year, Undrafted player being asked to play a role that he is not suited to and we kick shit out of him because we lost, and we only just lost in a back to back with the best player in the league not playing and one of the top PG not playing.
People need to wake and realise there are no better back up PG out there at the skill level that some people seem to thing we need that is prepared to be a back up and play insignificant minutes...if they were that good they would want to start.
Delly is fine as a back up...he comes in, gives 100% on D, takes a few shots and works with the second team and gets the lowest paycheck on the team...there are plenty of other crap players on our team...Delly is the least of our concerns

Some of this analysis of Delly appears pretty unfair in my opinion. Blatt was forced to play him for so many minutes because none of the other shooting-guards could run the point or manage the defense. I mean Schumpert and Jones simply can't dribble. Delly was ridiculed when he was signed by the Cavs for having a terrible handle. It has improved 1000% in 2 years because he has obviously worked his ass off. This pair should follow his lead - Schumpert can't dribble with his right hand, the ball bounces higher than his hair. He had 4 turnovers in his first three minutes. Jones is even worse.
I estimate Delly ran twice as far as anyone else on the team in that game, at double the intensity. I am really not surprised that his technique went to shit after the 10 minute mark.
In addition, the spacing and movement off the ball of most of these far more experienced and better paid players was, for lack of a better word, shithouse. Delly directed guys like Love, Smith and Miller to move around because were so few options for him at the point. He ended up with a double-double. He got as many rebounds as Mozgov and Thompson combined. He topped the assists and probably should have had double but ALL THE CAVS shot poorly. Including Delly. But despite all of this, the Cavs were still in the game until the last 20 seconds. He played an unsuitable role admirably that because so many other players on the roster simply cannot do what he can offer.
So yeah, this loss was all the fault of the Dellavedova, the lowest paid player on the roster because he shot 5/18 (for the record Kevin Love shot 6/19)
I am glad some of these peanuts not do my performance review at work. Good grief !!!

Some of this analysis of Delly appears pretty unfair in my opinion. Blatt was forced to play him for so many minutes because none of the other shooting-guards could run the point or manage the defense. I mean Schumpert and Jones simply can't dribble. Delly was ridiculed when he was signed by the Cavs for having a terrible handle. It has improved 1000% in 2 years because he has obviously worked his ass off. This pair should follow his lead - Schumpert can't dribble with his right hand, the ball bounces higher than his hair. He had 4 turnovers in his first three minutes. Jones is even worse.
I estimate Delly ran twice as far as anyone else on the team in that game, at double the intensity. I am really not surprised that his technique went to shit after the 10 minute mark.
In addition, the spacing and movement off the ball of most of these far more experienced and better paid players was, for lack of a better word, shithouse. Delly directed guys like Love, Smith and Miller to move around because were so few options for him at the point. He ended up with a double-double. He got as many rebounds as Mozgov and Thompson combined. He topped the assists and probably should have had double but ALL THE CAVS shot poorly. Including Delly. But despite all of this, the Cavs were still in the game until the last 20 seconds. He played an unsuitable role admirably that because so many other players on the roster simply cannot do what he can offer.
So yeah, this loss was all the fault of the Dellavedova, the lowest paid player on the roster because he shot 5/18 (for the record Kevin Love shot 6/19)
I am glad some of these peanuts not do my performance review at work. Good grief !!!

And the Thunder Rolls!
10 Fucking Rebounds.
Let that sink in for a minute.
Piss poor shooting, but that Rip-Away from West shows some of you are just plain Ass-Hats.

This is Delly's 2nd year. He has been playing fantastic. He shot poorly, but he took way too many shots. We had no one that was able to break the defense until Shumpert did a little in the 3rd.

The 2nd best player in the NBA, Kevin Love, was completely shut down. So give Indiana some credit, they shut down the best pf in the game.

A guy like Mo Williams, DJ Augustin and other real backup PGs who make around 3M would give a great lift to the 2nd unit. The roster is very thin right now.

Delly is just not good enough and we all know it, despite his hardworking. Just like guys like James Jones and Mike Miller are completely done and shouldn't be playing. But these guys don't hold a spot in the 8 men rotation. Delly does.

I just want to understand why he is so loved and protected here. Maybe because of identification. He's a likeable white guy with no NBA athleticism and lesser skills who is making it out of nowhere.

So when he plays many posters relate personally to him. He's like the representation of real world people at an NBA court.

Gotta be it.

His basic numbers this season:

20.4 min a game - 4.5 pts - FG% .355 - 3P% .394 - FT% .679 - 1.9 RPG - 2.8 APG - 0.3 ST - 0.9 TO

If we had a decent to good backup PG and he presented these numbers - this would be considered a shitty to horrific season.

So for a NBA backup PG, this is far from being good enough.

For Delly it is actually good and expected, given his skills and lack of experience.

I don't see people bashing the guy. It's not his fault. But he is not good enough for the role he's put in. This makes the roster thin.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."