• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tamir Rice Shooting

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
It was probably all lumped in the Ferguson thread in EAYOR. Black, white, brown, or otherwise, the ruthless slaughter of the mundanes by our rulers is always justified. By your tone I'm thinking you are ungrateful. We have many good citizens here who will set you straight.

It was probably all lumped in the Ferguson thread in EAYOR. Black, white, brown, or otherwise, the ruthless slaughter of the mundanes by our rulers is always justified. By your tone I'm thinking you are ungrateful. We have many good citizens here who will set you straight.

I always love reading Optimus' posts..

That was fantastic. Anyways, yeah, I'm pretty upset by this whole thing. I feel like there were clear arguments in support of the "officer" in Trayvon Martin, Ferguson, and Eric Garner. Now, do I agree with those arguments, no way in hell, but at leas they existed. This Tamir Rice shooting is actually mortifying because I don't see those arguments in support of the police officers whatsoever.

Even when they bother to come up with a justification I don't care to listen to it. I read stories every single day about cops brutally beating a 78 year old grandmother who was trying to bring cupcakes to her grandchildren at school, or trying to shoot a family's friendly dog, but tripping and accidentally shooting and killing the mother, or tasing an unarmed guy and when his arms go down after being tased they gun him down. Later on a follow up story will come out saying the cops found they did nothing wrong, and the sheep in the grand jury found no reason to prosecute. I would have been absolutely shocked if Tamir Rice's murderer was ever going to be brought to justice.

i was going to tell everyone to resist, but that verbiage would only inflame the thread.

Did they ever explain why the cops rolled up so close to this kid (and if that was proper procedure), especially if they were so concerned that he had a real gun?

Just seems like you're unnecessarily putting yourself in a position to make a split second life or death decision.

Did they ever explain why the cops rolled up so close to this kid (and if that was proper procedure), especially if they were so concerned that he had a real gun?

Just seems like you're unnecessarily putting yourself in a position to make a split second life or death decision.

Dude this was the biggest problem in the whole situation. The cops completely botched the way they approached the scene.

There's a reason Tamir Rice pulled that orange tip off his airsoft pistol: it's because sticking somebody up wouldn't be as fun if there was an orange tip on your gun.

When he pulled that orange tip off, and decided to go fake robbing people; he put his life in jeopardy whether he got shot by someone with a concealed carry permit, or a police officer. You just don't go doing hooligan shit like that, or you might just pay the consequences for initiating a situation like that.

You don't go fake robbing people with a gun that looks so real! That's where Tamir's parents fucked up! That 12 year old boy wandered into the park with a gun that looks completely real and decided to intimidate people with it.

That's the bottom line.

The police could have handled the situation so much differently, they look like some cowboys hunting for action, but their actions pale in aggressiveness and ridiculousness compared to that Michael Brielo case IMO. That was heinous.

RIP young Tamir.

You're not the first guy I know who got shot and killed because they decided to pull that orange tip off and air-soft gun and stick somebody up.

Need better parenting.

It was a screw up.

There's no chance in hell the prosecutor could have gotten a conviction here, and as he's said subsequently, it would have been unethical to charge any of the officers involved.

The biggest problem with the criminal charge is that you have to prove some level of intent on the part of the individual who shot the kid, and it was a succession of errors by multiple people that created that situation. You can't prosecute an individual cop unless his individual actions rose to the level of a criminal offense, and that just wasn't the case here.

I think the most significant and the most inexcusable error was by the dispatcher(s) who did not pass on to the responding officers that the report stated that it was a boy with a gun that was "probably fake". Had the cops been told that, everything may well have turned out differently. But they weren't, so instead they reasonably believed they were responding to someone threatening other people with a real gun -- a very dangerous situation. But that error by the dispatchers isn't a crime, and you could not prosecute them for the subsequent shooting.

The second error was when the officer driving the vehicle pulled up too closely. That's just an error -- it doesn't even make sense to do that because you could be putting yourself at greater risk. Unless, of course, the driver was really worried that something bad might happen if they didn't get in there quickly. In any case, a bad decision, but again, you can't charge a cop with murder or manslaughter just because he pulled up too closely.

The cop who actually took the shot wasn't responsible for either of those mistakes. It wasn't his fault that he wasn't told it was probably a kid with a fake gun, nor was it his fault that his partner put him in the bad position of being too close. So when he hopped out, observed someone who was 5'7" and 195 lbs at a close range pulling a gun out of his waistband despite being told to freeze, that's a reasonable shot for a cop to take.

Just because none of the individual cops could not be prosecuted criminally doesn't mean that what happened was okay, or that the department "got away" with killing the kid. They paid millions of dollars in a settlement, got about the worst publicity possible, and have every incentive in the world too try to make sure something like this doesn't happen again.

And just to be clear, the fact that the department erred collectively doesn't mean there weren't other mistakes as well that were not the responsibility of the cops. It is too bad that some of the folks protesting the police action aren't also talking about what civilians can do on their end to minimize the risks of such mistakes happening again.

Last edited:
It was a screw up.

There's no chance in hell the prosecutor could have gotten a conviction here, and as he's said subsequently, it would have been unethical to charge any of the officers involved.

The biggest problem with the criminal charge is that you have to prove some level of intent on the part of the individual who shot the kid, and it was a succession of errors by multiple people that created that situation. You can't prosecute an individual cop unless his individual actions rose to the level of a criminal offense, and that just wasn't the case here.

I think the most significant and the most inexcusable error was by the dispatcher(s) who did not pass on to the responding officers that the report stated that it was a boy with a gun that was "probably fake". Had the cops been told that, everything may well have turned out differently. But they weren't, so instead they reasonably believed they were responding to someone threatening other people with a real gun -- a very dangerous situation. But that error by the dispatchers isn't a crime, and you could not prosecute them for the subsequent shooting.

The second error was when the officer driving the vehicle pulled up too closely. That's just an error -- it doesn't even make sense to do that because you could be putting yourself at greater risk. Unless, of course, the driver was really worried that something bad might happen if they didn't get in there quickly. In any case, a bad decision, but again, you can't charge a cop with murder or manslaughter just because he pulled up too closely.

The cop who actually took the shot wasn't responsible for either of those mistakes. It wasn't his fault that he wasn't told it was probably a kid with a fake gun, nor was it his fault that his partner put him in the bad position of being too close. So when he hopped out, observed someone who was 5'7" and 195 lbs at a close range pulling a gun out of his waistband despite being told to freeze, that's a reasonable shot for a cop to take.

Just because none of the individual cops could not be prosecuted criminally doesn't mean that what happened was okay, or that the department "got away" with killing the kid. They paid millions of dollars in a settlement, got about the worst publicity possible, and have every incentive in the world too try to make sure something like this doesn't happen again.

And just to be clear, the fact that the department erred collectively doesn't mean there weren't other mistakes as well that were not the responsibility of the cops. It is too bad that some of the folks protesting the police action aren't also talking about what civilians can do on their end to minimize the risks of such mistakes happening again.

What you say does make sense and i am not questioning that. What worries me is this, We can go on repeating this cycle and have innocent but reckless youngsters killed and the cops will be "getting away" with it all the time.

- Why did the cops have to park their car so close that they are easily in the firing range.
- Also if/when felt threatened why shoot the torso, Why cant they shoot the legs ? They are in close range and should have no trouble aiming. And if they do have trouble aiming, Do we want to entrust these cops with guns ?

jbCiC3jsjx4UoIHRnROwIqjzOOgRX6JkiQImRYGtrUT2V6p6ZIaBKwE9qm99A9gCFYQ=w1264

They paid millions of dollars in a settlement, got about the worst publicity possible, and have every incentive in the world too try to make sure something like this doesn't happen again.

They didn't pay anything. Taxpayers paid. I paid their fucking settlement.

It is too bad that some of the folks protesting the police action aren't also talking about what civilians can do on their end to minimize the risks of such mistakes happening again.

I may just be extremist on the issue, but if we need to lecture citizens about how to modify their behavior to avoid getting gunned down in cold blood by the police, we might just have a problem with the police.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."