• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

#8: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State University

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I'm confused. Did it come out that Gilbert has some specific "issue" other than being an idiot? If so I was honestly unaware.

Reactions: NtG
I'm confused. Did it come out that Gilbert has some specific "issue" other than being an idiot? If so I was honestly unaware.

It's been widely reported that Gilbert was dealing with some ominous sounding "very personal" off-field issue that the Browns were made aware of sometime during the season.

I haven't seen any specifics reported on what the issue is, but it certainly sounded like something more serious.

Pretty much any search of Justin Gilbert off field, Justin Gilbert personal, etc, should get you all the relevant quotes from the Browns.

I wonder if Gilbert could be like Brandon Marshall? Remember how he was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder? Who knows, maybe Gilbert is depressed, bi-polar, etc.

Wasn't Marshall diagnosed as bi-polar straight-up?

Either way, he's the prime example of a guy who many self-proclaimed experts wrote-off as un-salvageable because they'd never seen anyone come back from something so burdensome as his issues were. Personally, I'm very proud of how he's been able to grasp those issues and take action; not many gave him the chance to make it through it.

@Huber posted: Pettine was asked if he had a better handle on what led to the 23-year-old's struggles both on and off the field. Was it a poor attitude and lack of professionalism? "It's more than that," the coach said. "I don't want to get into it. It's very personal and I'm not going to get into details about it."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/ind...wns_cornerback_ju.html#incart_related_stories

Ray Farmer also spoke on a personal issue hampering Gilbert. This was also mentioned earlier in the thread by @Binkster

What else is necessary? I don't need to know the issue to believe that there is one.

@Huber posted: Pettine was asked if he had a better handle on what led to the 23-year-old's struggles both on and off the field. Was it a poor attitude and lack of professionalism? "It's more than that," the coach said. "I don't want to get into it. It's very personal and I'm not going to get into details about it."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/ind...wns_cornerback_ju.html#incart_related_stories

Ray Farmer also spoke on a personal issue hampering Gilbert. This was also mentioned earlier in the thread by @Binkster

What else is necessary? I don't need to know the issue to believe that there is one.

Yeah, a quick Google told me all this. I didn't say anything else was necessary.

Figures we take the guy with some huge issue that is hampering him.

Or, and I'm sure none of you considered this :chuckle: ... this is just one big giant excuse to save face.

^ Top notch take right there.

^ Top notch take right there.

Well...I'm not saying it's the case. But we have a front office that is already sketchy to begin with, and now we have some "phantom" issue with the egg-on-our-face 1st round bust (so far) that is allegedly hampering him but nobody is allowed to know what it is.

But don't worry, Farmer said he can recover from it, so we should be good boobs. :chuckle:

Or, and I'm sure none of you considered this :chuckle: ... this is just one big giant excuse to save face.

I honestly don't think many have... That's a pretty damning thought and is a stretch, IMO. Not that the Browns deserve the benefit of the doubt..

Just think that if the Browns were publicly making stuff up about a player's personal life, the player/ the player's agent would not allow it to sit out there...

I honestly don't think many have... That's a pretty damning thought and is a stretch, IMO. Not that the Browns deserve the benefit of the doubt..

Just think that if the Browns were publicly making stuff up about a player's personal life, the player/ the player's agent would not allow it to sit out there...

Yeah i know. Like I said it's just kind of weird that the throw out that there is some issue and nobody knows what it is but don't worry he will come back fine. I don't trust the Brown's at all right now they have done nothing to earn it. Simply throwing it out there. Probably not the case but i just cant believe anything they say at this point.

Airing his dirty laundry in public would certainly be the classiest way to go about it, I'm sure.

Nobody said to do that silly goose. You just like to argue.

The point is I don't trust the damn thing they say.

I still have money on his issue being he is an idiot.

As a fanbase, we love to make blind-leap assumptions and stick to them with a tad of negative information, while we temper the potential meaning of positive happenings...

The Browns have been terrible, but I don't see the value in feeding the self-fulfilling prophecy that everything is all bad all the time. It's about as tiring as the constant losing.

Well, I did say that it probably wasn't the case. Again I am simply saying I find it difficult to believe anything they say.

I mean I think we are all just reaching our breaking point. I'm having trouble even getting excited for the draft and that is a bad sign.

the self-fulfilling prophecy that everything is all bad all the time.

The fans aren't the ones fulfilling it. The Browns are.

We're just here to assess the situation, and based on history, safely assume they're fucking up.

The fans aren't the ones fulfilling it. The Browns are.

We're just here to assess the situation, and based on history, safely assume they're fucking up.

Ahhh... Could smell you coming.

You shouldn't speak for everyone as you have a unique opinion on most things.

By definition, it'd qualify as a self-fulfilling prophecy as no likely rebut from Gilbert means that the thought of "his issue is being an idiot" endures as true in the mind of the believer. It really isn't just a Browns thing, but it becomes one when the correlation is made that "Justin Gilbert is an idiot", therefore "the Browns draft only idiots."

Truthfully, the Browns don't need the gravy poured on by their own fans... Something which you are not... It achieves nothing for anyone.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."