• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2015 NFL Offseason Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
CATm4iqWEAAbfJk.jpg

This guy just killed journalism.

CATm4iqWEAAbfJk.jpg

This guy just killed journalism.
Is there a link to the rest of the article or did it end with a comparison to Hernandez with no other thoughts to shed light on his reasoning?

Good for Borland if he has a plan. The game needs fundamental changes to address the risk of concussions and helmets are only a fraction of the solution. The concussion issue even predates the size explosion in the game, so simply hoping for less steroid addled behemoths will not fix the problem. A violent game has to be looked long and hard at how it is played, there is no other choice.

I really root for the kid. Hope he eventually "gets it" but I'm not holding my breath.

Justin Blackmon failed another drug test, so at least Gordon has someone to train with this off-season.

Justin Blackmon failed another drug test, so at least Gordon has someone to train with this off-season.

Fake report

Reactions: AZ_
Trent Richardson should not get a chance to prove he's horrible...

Such a disappointment

Good for Borland if he has a plan. The game needs fundamental changes to address the risk of concussions and helmets are only a fraction of the solution. The concussion issue even predates the size explosion in the game, so simply hoping for less steroid addled behemoths will not fix the problem. A violent game has to be looked long and hard at how it is played, there is no other choice.

Borland is my old college roomate's cousin. Haven't had a chance to ask him about this yet, but everything my roomate has said about the guy is that he is very smart and grounded. Just think the long term effects on the body made him rethink his career choice.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25120069

PHOENIX -- The NFL Competition Committee tweaked the language involved in the rule regarding what is and what is not a catch but decided that Dez Bryant's now-infamous non-catch in the Cowboys-Packers playoff game is still not a catch.

The tweak the committee added was that now a receiver must "clearly establish himself as a runner" while having control and both feet in bounds

"For years the requirement for a catch is control, both feet and after that the receiver had to have the ball long enough to perform a [football] act," VP of Officiating Dean Blandino said. "It was that act common to the game, football move, that created some confusion."

So instead of needing to make a "football move" to qualify oneself as a runner in the field of play, the receiver must "clearly establish himself as a runner."

In other words, the goal is to make it a simple deduction whether or not someone has made a particular kind of move to establish themselves as having possession.

"Once you go down that path it becomes more subjective," Blandino said. "What is, what isn't a football move. We're not talking about a lot of plays over the course of the five seasons since the Calvin Johnson play. This allows us to consistently officiate the rule."

Rams coach Jeff Fisher believes the new language tweak "really clears things up" because it elements subjective interpretation.

"We spent a lot of time on it. I think it really clears things up," Fisher said. "If you're going to the ground, hang onto the ball. It's really pretty simple. To include if you become a runner, I think it really cleans things up for us. If you start talking about reaching the ball out, you invite a lot of gray area back into the interpretation."

It does that to a degree, because someone continuing to fall to the ground while making a catch who doesn't possess the ball would clearly not qualify as someone who can establish themselves.

Dez lunging for the end zone has lots of upside -- touchdowns! -- but it also has massive downside because it won't establish possession.

I've watched that play over and over...then again today when this came out. That should have been a catch. It may not meet that wording on the rule, so the rule needed to be re-worded. This new version still isn't clear at all.

The way I look at it, is that if Dez was a few yards further away from the goalline, it would have been a catch. The fact that he was close to scoring, he decided to reach for the score. The fact that he was able to get the ball to his left hand, cup it to secure it, and reach for the end zone shows that he made a football play with the ball. No goal line, then he would have just pulled it in for an "easy" catch.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25120069

I've watched that play over and over...then again today when this came out. That should have been a catch. It may not meet that wording on the rule, so the rule needed to be re-worded. This new version still isn't clear at all.

The way I look at it, is that if Dez was a few yards further away from the goalline, it would have been a catch. The fact that he was close to scoring, he decided to reach for the score. The fact that he was able to get the ball to his left hand, cup it to secure it, and reach for the end zone shows that he made a football play with the ball. No goal line, then he would have just pulled it in for an "easy" catch.

the ball clearly hits the ground and clearly pops out. i still have no idea how anyone can argue that it was a catch.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."