• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Progressive Field Renovations Planned Over 2 Years

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I think behind each wall is flat surface where they will put high tops. Looks horrible so far.
It looks like a "renovation" my hillbilly uncle would perform on his house in Steubenville. I've been to 17 MLB parks and Progressive Field was near the top of the list. I feel like they've ruined it now.

It looks like a "renovation" my hillbilly uncle would perform on his house in Steubenville. I've been to 17 MLB parks and Progressive Field was near the top of the list. I feel like they've ruined it now.

Uh huh...

Do people forget what it'll eventually look like? They aren't going to just leave up dry wall in RF.

upperdeck.jpg

Uh huh...

Do people forget what it'll eventually look like? They aren't going to just leave up dry wall in RF.

upperdeck.jpg
It's the transition from the new bar area to the seats on the 1B line that ruins it for me. I know they needed to reduce capacity, but it looks slapdash and tacky in my opinion. Totally destroys any cohesive aesthetic.

Last edited:
Shorten the season to 110 games.
In all seriousness our society is not built for a 162 games in any sport, let alone 3-4 hours every night. It is not the same world as 1965, or hell even 1995. It will only continue into the future. Peoples attention spans are not what they use to be to follow long seasons due to so many more options for entertainment at home and out as well. I also think the NBA would be better with a 60-65 game season. I think the NFL and College Football has it right. Leave them wanting more.

Last edited:
It's the transition from the new bar area to the seats on the 1B line that ruins it for me. I know they needed to reduce capacity, but it looks slapdash and tacky in my opinion. Totally destroys any cohesive aesthetic.
So will the project inside the park be half done this year then completed in 16?

In all seriousness our society is not built for a 162 games in any sport, let alone 3-4 hours every night. It is not the same world as 1965, or hell even 1995. It will only continue into the future. Peoples attention spans are not what they use to be to follow long seasons due to so many more options for entertainment at home and out as well. I also think the NBA would be better with a 60-65 game season. I think the NFL and College Football has it right. Leave them wanting more.

Perfect analysis and particularly agree re: NFL and college. Reduce the amount of games played within the division by like 25% and shorten all four game series to three.

I think something along those lines could lose you 50-60 games.

Would never happen because the top teams will always sell out and why would they agree to massive revenue losses?

Shortening the season isn't going to make people that don't like baseball magically like it. Soccer could be a 6 game season or a 500 game season and I will watch about 30 seconds of it a year (the total time a year it takes to find something else to watch).

Shortening the season isn't going to make people that don't like baseball magically like it. Soccer could be a 6 game season or a 500 game season and I will watch about 30 seconds of it a year (the total time a year it takes to find something else to watch).

I'm not arguing it will make people like a sport that don't already like it.

I'm arguing that there's too many games to keep enough Casual fans interested to fill up the seats 81 times over a 6 month period and the season tix holders dish out the money required to pay for season tix.

Start in April finish in July. Or just start the season later so you can still maintain the tradition of October playoffs.

It won't happen, but it would make sense for a variety of reasons.

I come in here to mention one thing and, really, I don't care much about the current discussion being had one way or another... Isn't it still kind-of cool that with 162 games, division races still come down to the last few weeks of the season?

I come in here to mention one thing and, really, I don't care much about the current discussion being had one way or another... Isn't it still kind-of cool that with 162 games, division races still come down to the last few weeks of the season?
To this generation coming up no....They will be the ones dictating the popularity 20 years from now

The end of the season is always cool. But you'd likely have the same result with a shorter season.

With a shorter season, you'd also have less revenue which means less money to pay the players. It would also mean reduced stats per season which would limit guys chances at career records.

It'll never happen.

The end of the season is always cool. But you'd likely have the same result with a shorter season.

With a shorter season, you'd also have less revenue which means less money to pay the players. It would also mean reduced stats per season which would limit guys chances at career records.

It'll never happen.
Never say never. MLB is already getting desperate with a pitching clock.

Never say never. MLB is already getting desperate with a pitching clock.

Yeah, but you gotta have players to play the game.

They'd go apeshit if you told them the owners could only pay them 60% of their current salaries and their stats would get cut by the same amount.

Actually I think the MLB has done a decent job of identifying the problem. Whether or not their solutions work remains to be seen, but speed of the game is a bigger issue to me than length of season.

I'm actually looking forward to the season for the first time since 07. I'm optimistic about this team.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."