• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The "What are you playing now?" Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I mean, I don't think the third game was bad or anything. I enjoyed it. I just think it was basically the exact same game as the second game, only not as good. The second also had a much cooler, more fun setting.

Personally, I'd much prefer to replay Tomb Raider than the third Uncharted, and I think TR was on par with the second game too.

Really liked Tomb Raider too. One of my favorite games that year. I did feel like it was biting Uncharted even though Tomb Raider invented the genre that Uncharted is in. Maybe more puzzles and whatnot but it played similar to me.

Really liked Tomb Raider too. One of my favorite games that year. I did feel like it was biting Uncharted even though Tomb Raider invented the genre that Uncharted is in. Maybe more puzzles and whatnot but it played similar to me.

It definitely played similar. I just really liked the story and the world the game created better than that of Uncharted 3. Uncharted 2 had the Himalayas thing going for it, and I'm a sucker for all things Nepal.

It definitely played similar. I just really liked the story and the world the game created better than that of Uncharted 3. Uncharted 2 had the Himalayas thing going for it, and I'm a sucker for all things Nepal.

Have you played Far Cry 4? Great game and it has the whole Nepal/Tibet thing as the backdrop.

Have you played Far Cry 4? Great game and it has the whole Nepal/Tibet thing as the backdrop.

Yup, although admittedly not as much as I would have liked. I started playing it the day it came out, but my video card made it chug a bit. I've since upgraded, but haven't gotten around to going back to Far Cry 4 yet.

Too many games to play. :(

Yup, although admittedly not as much as I would have liked. I started playing it the day it came out, but my video card made it chug a bit. I've since upgraded, but haven't gotten around to going back to Far Cry 4 yet.

The Yeti DLC is extremely fun.

Probably wasn't your video card... game is just terribly optimized. I was getting random stuttering on my 970 (no it wasn't running out of VRAM), and no amount of adjusting graphics /.INI made it go away.

You won't be playing Zelda til 2016.

Part of me wonders if they are holding it off to release on NX and Wii U like they did with "Twilight Princess." I would think you could sell some consoles with the first open world Zelda game.

Edit: Speaking of NX, what does everybody think it will be? I'm hoping for some sort of hybrid system that allows you to play powerful games at home, simple games on the go, and stuff in between (Mario?) at home or on the road.

Either way, I hope they realize that it needs to be powerful so that they can win back some third party devs.

Edit 2: Anyone think they will play Nintendo mobile games?

Last edited:
You won't be playing Zelda til 2016.

Part of me wonders if they are holding it off to release on NX and Wii U like they did with "Twilight Princess." I would think you could sell some consoles with the first open world Zelda game.

Aren't basically all the Zelda games open world?

Played the second episode of Tales from the Borderlands last night. It was definitely better than the first. Quite a few laugh out loud moments. Scanning things in the game is great. I scanned this mushroom on the ground while I was looking for these power switches in one of the game's few puzzles and got this:

Taste: Cotton Candy (seriously)
Poison Level: Like, the worst

Game is great so far, even if it is just a quick time fest like all of Telltale's games these days. I do wish they'd put more puzzles in the game. The ones that are there aren't difficult at all. I'd like a little more challenge. Not like adventure games when I was a kid where the puzzles made absolutely no sense (although that would probably work fine in a Borderlands game since it's designed to be wacky). Just something with a bit more challenge to it.

I get that these games have become essentially choose your own adventure books in game form, but that doesn't mean they can't add at least a little challenge in addition to all the choices.

Just finished up episode three of Telltale's Game of Thrones. Still going strong. If you're a fan of the show or books and aren't playing it, you're missing out. If you don't watch the show or read the books, don't waste your time. The game assumes knowledge of at least the show.

Oh yeah...forgot Metal Gear Solid. The first is a classic and the third is one of my all time favorites. Four was pretty stupid overall but the gameplay was rock solid and the ending was enjoyable. Two could be described similarly.

Shit I'm way behind in this thread.

Totally agree with this post, like every word of it. Snake Eater was so fucking good though, it's probably in my top ten of all time. I played the Subsistence version that had the better camera, so that helped, too.

Oh, and dat ending.

I'm a fan of the series, but I found 2 and 4 to be generally kind of stupid like you said, although with fun gameplay. What do you think of Phantom Pain from the looks of it? I have high hopes, I'm thinking it will be to the series what Snake Eater was.

Well see, I've always found the Halo games wildly overrated. The first one was all right, but the campaigns were never terribly compelling and the multi-player was always too slow for my liking. I grew up playing shooters like Unreal, Quake, and Team Fortress, so I prefer a little speed to my shooters. Halo feels like you're running in quicksand.

Generally speaking, I'd assume that anyone who lists Halo in their top five to ten games of all time probably grew up playing primarily console games and never really delved into the PC library, especially during the glory days of the mid to late nineties and early 2000s. I grew up as a PC and console gamer, and I tend to think that PC games were just vastly superior for a long, long time. The gap narrowed as consoles became more popular and less developers created PC games, mostly due to budgetary reasons, but the PC is still the king when it comes to shooters. It's also making a nice comeback thanks to Steam and constantly decreasing hardware prices.

In my opinion, Halo did a lot of damage to the shooter market. Concepts like only carrying two weapons and regenerating health really took a lot of the skill out of single-player shooters. I miss the good old days where you couldn't just hide behind a wall for thirty seconds and suddenly be back to full health, or when enemies and levels could be varied enough to give purpose to all your weapons, not just the two automatics you carry because there's not enough ammo lying around to justify bringing the magnum or the sniper rifle for more than a few minutes at a time. There's also the hilarity of a sniper rifle always just lying around when you're about to need it in games like CoD and Halo. It really cheapens the experience for me.

Interesting post because I fell somewhere in the middle. I began gaming on Sega Genesis at like six years old in 1995. My first PC game ever was Total Annihilation a few years later. I grew up a primarily PC gamer but I always owned one of the latest consoles. I was anticipating Halo BIG time when it was a PC/Mac game and was pissed when Microsoft bought Bungie and made it an Xbox launch title. The game turned out so different. I eventually played it when I bought an Xbox in like 2002 or 2003 and I liked the game a lot, but having also played a lot of those PC shooters you mentioned (not to mention I was a Half Life guy and thus checked out Counter Strike), Halo at the time definitely didn't feel right. I'd played console shooters like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (great games) and enjoyed them but... It felt so simplistic and consolized, if that makes sense. I didn't find the campaign particularly enjoyable and nothing stood out. Meanwhile, it was being hailed by everybody as the greatest thing ever and I just kind of shrugged.

I didn't get the hype.

I'm playing through the games again on the Master Chief Collection now and I tell you, my view of Halo has done a total 180. I appreciate the games so much more. The controls are tight as fuck, everything just flows so well, you have guns, grenades, melee etc all at your command with a single button. The combat itself is satisfying and fast paced but it's not like, say, Unreal Tournament where you feel like you have jet boosters on your feet. It just feels... right. The multiplayer in Halo 2 was so good. Most games don't hold my attention that long multiplayer wise, and Halo 2 only did for a few months, but I played it a lot in that time span and had a ton of fun with it. It felt like it took skill but it also wasnt unforgiving like Call of Duty which to this day I still try to get into each new installment's multiplayer but I just cant because you have people that have been experts for a decade at it and I just die 600 times per match, it isnt fun. Halo isn't that way.

So I don't know. My opinions has changed. I certainly do believe it revolutionized the FPS genre...but only on consoles. I understand the hype though now, and I can't wait for Halo 5. Since i was once on the other side of the fence though, I 100% understand the misgivings some people have about the series, especially PC gamers.

BTW speaking on favorite game series, I want to throw Warcraft and Starcraft in there for my top game series of all time. I'm a big RTS fan and almost nothing beats those two IMO. Blizzard are the masters at RTS, at least that style of RTS. For other game series, I'd definitely throw Zelda, Half Life, and Metal Gear in there no particular order. Not sure where Mass Effect would rank exactly but as I said before it's definitely on my list.

Anyone else playing the new Mortal Kombat? Really enjoying it so far, even with the egregious omission of Baraka.

Thats pretty fucking egregious.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."