• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Kyrie Irving

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
I barfed when I saw Kyrie was ranked 25th on defense and Lillard was 18. Add to the fact that Lillard is ranked higher than Kyrie in scoring when the stats and eye test indicates that Kyrie is obviously better lol. I guess since Lillard averages 1.1 assists more, that trumps everything and makes him a better PG than Kyrie according to that poll smh.

Kyrie at #9...

nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif
You stole my face. Off.

The bottom line is always winning.

Kyrie's groups outscored their opponents 28 times last season, and were outscored 43 times for a Win% of 39.4.

During "clutch time" it was 13-20 for the exact same Win% of 39.4.

The team's winning % on the season was 40.2!!!

Why should anyone care how many points he can score if it doesn't actually lead to more wins for his team?

Exactly my point. You can't be called Mr 4th quarter when you're losing almost 60% of your games! Many people are wowed by a few Kyrie game winners but they don't know what real clutch looks like

RqK0DhC.png

rEhQ8it.png

Kyrie's performance in non-clutch situations is so not clutch! ...or something

I'd peg Kyrie at 4th right now behind CP3, Curry, and Russ. He, Lillard, and Wall are in that second tier where each fanbase would take their guy over the other 2 guys. It's worth noting that Kyrie is the youngest of all of them, so he still has a lot of room to grow. I hope to see him continue to improve his PG skills and defense in the coming years. If 2 years from now he could be a 22/7 guy on around the same efficiency he is now while playing solid defense, I would be very happy.

Kyrie is playing well enough to make the all NBA team. Curry is playing well enough to win MVP. This list has them ranked 2 and 9 at their own position because of their formula. When a formula give those results, it's time to reconsider the formula.

If 2 years from now he could be a 22/7 guy on around the same efficiency he is now while playing solid defense, I would be very happy.

Kyrie would be a 25/7 (possibly 26/8 due to fewer turnovers) guy this year if he were running the offense and not LeBron James. Keep in mind he's shooting .579 TS% (same as LBJ, which is considered very high) which is the highest of his career and he's putting up his second lowest FGA per game this season.

Kyrie and LeBron's ppg/apg stats would flip if their roles and fga were reversed.

I actually think it is inefficient to have LBJ run our offense as, this year, he is just too turnover prone (7.3ast : 4.1tov per game).

Folks act like Kyrie can't generate assists. From age 19-21 he averaged 6.25 assists / 36 on one of worst teams in the NBA by far. Now he's surrounded by talent, like the best talent in the league, and great 3-pt shooters, on one of the best 3-pt shooting teams in the league.

As Keys said, there's a tremendous difference between then and now.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this lately..

I've been starting to feel like kyrie really is or should be the main scoring option for us.

Even in the last few games (when we win) it feels like kyrie does the work to get us that W and then lebron gets a few extra buckets in garbage time to "get his."

And then the recap comes out on whatever website and its "lebron leads team to victory with __ points"

Who would I want shooting a layup? Kyrie. Who would I want pulling up for a midranger? Kyrie. Who would I want taking threes? Kyrie.

Lebron is amazing, no doubt, and he's a better facilitator (or is he) than kyrie, but I think kyrie is actually the best scorer on this team and the offense is most effective when he has that scoring bulk on his shoulders.

Not to mention, his facilitating has definitely improved. As an off-ball handler, essentially, hes still putting up 5.3 assists per game.

How many lobs have we seen lately to moz or tristan? How many last second drop offs on drives to the hoop? His vision is improving, he's making the right decisions most of the time when his shot isn't the best.

The thing is, kyrie just does what he needs to for the team to win. If he starts scoring and then some other people start scoring and they're not fucking up, he'll lay back and let them. JR will start drilling threes, lebron decides he wants some buckets. It's all good.

But there's nobody on this team who can score at will from anywhere like kyrie can. Remember the spurs backing off lebron, daring him to shoot?

Would anyone dream of doing that to kyrie? There is no way to stop him.

Who has BOTH of the highest scoring games this season? Kyrie Irving. And both efficiently.

The missing pieces for him are consistent defense and improved visoin, he has 4 years to figure this out before he's in the middle of his prime.

Looks good.

The only point guards i'd confidently take over Kyrie from that list is Chris Paul and Stephen Curry. And that's because they are polished products.

Once Kyrie polishes, I wouldn't take any of them over him.
I'd take Westbrook too. With LeBron beside him... That's a fearsome duo. They both would be going for trip dubs. I got Kyrie at 4 after them

Kyrie would be a 25/7 (possibly 26/8 due to fewer turnovers) guy this year if he were running the offense and not LeBron James. Keep in mind he's shooting .579 TS% (same as LBJ, which is considered very high) which is the highest of his career and he's putting up his second lowest FGA per game this season.

Kyrie and LeBron's ppg/apg stats would flip if their roles and fga were reversed.

I actually think it is inefficient to have LBJ run our offense as, this year, he is just too turnover prone (7.3ast : 4.1tov per game).

Folks act like Kyrie can't generate assists. From age 19-21 he averaged 6.25 assists / 36 on one of worst teams in the NBA by far. Now he's surrounded by talent, like the best talent in the league, and great 3-pt shooters, on one of the best 3-pt shooting teams in the league.

As Keys said, there's a tremendous difference between then and now.
LeBron is clearly the one who regularly sees double teams and the primary one they game plan for. Kyrie has been amazing but I won't discount the different looks they get while on offense. Kyrie I think is unstoppable one on one. This is where Kyrie absolutely benefits from Bron being beside him

You got people overrating Kyrie and people underrating him. This thread is ridiculous now

I'd take Westbrook too. With LeBron beside him... That's a fearsome duo. They both would be going for trip dubs. I got Kyrie at 4 after them

Kyrie is by far the better shooter than Russ. I think he's the better fit because he's the better scorer.

Better scorer? Whaaaaaaa???

Kyrie Irving is far more efficient, relies on far fewer free throws (he's not as dependent on superstar calls), can play equally well with the ball out of his hands, is less turnover prone, a better ball-handler, finisher, better in isolation, and is younger.

So... I'd rather have Irving over Westbrook if I'm pairing them with LeBron.

When you add K-Love, the argument goes even further in Irving's direction.

Gotta keep in mind, Westbrook's 27/8.6 is with 21.4FGA, 9.7FTA, and 38.3 USG%.... Give Kyrie 38.3 USG and 21.4FGA and he would shit on Westbrook's stats (no he wouldn't out rebound him).

Last edited:
LeBron is clearly the one who regularly sees double teams and the primary one they game plan for. Kyrie has been amazing but I won't discount the different looks they get while on offense. Kyrie I think is unstoppable one on one. This is where Kyrie absolutely benefits from Bron being beside him

Kind of a non sequitur; you can't double a perimeter player (a player outside of the post) playing off-the-ball according to the rules, so surely LeBron would see more double teams than Kyrie when both are on the floor.

When Kyrie is weak-side, he can't be double-teamed.

When Kyrie is the cutter, the defense must double "on-the-ball." (meaning, if they double, it's got to be on LeBron)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."