• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Greatest Athlete We Will Ever See?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
@KB and @Damien O'Connel, why do you feel the need to be like this?

I can't stand this shit from American soccer fans. There is no need to act like a dick just because you like something that a lot of over Americans don't like. Stop.

I know it's hard when American sports fans put down soccer, but reverting to their tactics is not going to win soccer over more fans.

I love soccer and wish more people would watch it and appreciate it, but treating them like they are dumb if they don't is really stupid.

Also, I get that you both are Barca fans and all over Messi's nuts, but your argument that he is the greatest soccer player ever when there is a real debate (despite you claiming otherwise) over who is better between him and Ronaldo makes your argument instantly false.

You've brought absolutely nothing to this discussion with the above post and those following it. NOTHING aside from insinuated or direct insults that are personal attacks.

I'm not a Barcelona fan, don't have a favorite soccer team. I'm a fan of all sports which you can fully see at the end of my last post but let's completely ignore that since it doesn't fit your narrative.

I wasn't rude to anyone until now, slightly condescending to match the tone of another person but nothing else. If you're just going to twist my words around please just put me on ignore and go troll someone else.

Also I love the one dude that rated my last post old after saying they could find plenty of articles that don't list Messi as a "top 5 player in his own sport". Which I fully disproved by finding articles from multiple sources that date back to 2011 stating otherwise. Some even listed him in the top 5 for all sports. Said poster has not provided one article within that 4yr time frame that counters those which were posted. Hilarious.

@KB and @Damien O'Connel

you down voting people just because you dont agree with them is ridiculous. As has been pointed out by several posters you havent even proven that Messi is the greatest soccer player ever. You guys are just being obnoxious fan boys that wont give the subject up.

your answer is emphatically no. Messi is not the greatest athlete ever. period. the end. in 8-10 years could he be in that conversation, absolutely. but right now he is not.

Once again Messi plays 1 sport very well. Jim thorpe excelled at 15 on a world class level. How is there even a comparison? As far as pure athlete goes jim thorpe wins by a landslide

I think this thread has run its course. Y'all are letting loose with the personal attacks.

I've said everything I want to say, and if you guys want to shut your eyes that's fine.

I'm honestly really disappointed in the board as a whole.

Last post from me.

EDIT: Wait @bob2the2nd how can you disagree with the fast/slow twitch thing and my story from high school? Both are facts...that is blatant trolling.

Last edited:
EDIT: delete

Last edited:
Damien,
No problem on my end. I stopped my input because I could see things spiraling out of control. You've got your opinion, I've got mine. I am fine with that.

Keep posting topics, even if they are subject to differences of opinion. Forum boards are made for discussion, even tho I don't think I've ever seen anyones opinion change on a message board. Also, I don't feel you attacked me, and I apologize if you felt slighted by what I said. I just thought we were having a conversation.

Good luck to you, and to your team and to Messi. (Last post from me in this thread too ;-)

@KB and @Damien O'Connel

you down voting people just because you dont agree with them is ridiculous. As has been pointed out by several posters you havent even proven that Messi is the greatest soccer player ever. You guys are just being obnoxious fan boys that wont give the subject up.

your answer is emphatically no. Messi is not the greatest athlete ever. period. the end. in 8-10 years could he be in that conversation, absolutely. but right now he is not.

Once again Messi plays 1 sport very well. Jim thorpe excelled at 15 on a world class level. How is there even a comparison? As far as pure athlete goes jim thorpe wins by a landslide

No one was being obnoxious until people started being condescending assholes on the 2nd page. I didn't start being an ass until people responded to me in a similar fashion. The same way you're doing now as a matter of fact.

All I did was post facts, facts which people want to ignore.

No one has even acknowledged that Messi had more accomplishments than the majority of those mentioned by the age of 24 while over coming a growth hormone disorder pretty much proves that.

One of the reasons I don't like including Jim Thorpe or Ruth in these discussions is because they played before the race barriers were broken. To label either of them the best athlete when a large number of athletic people that were of African American decent were prohibited from playing at the highest levels is kind of like having a pasta contest without sending an invitation to Italy. It's disingenuous as fuck.

That's why I rated your post old, you didn't even think about factoring that into your decision. It had nothing to do with not being in agreement with you that Thorpe was a great athlete. But it had everything to do with you overlooking the social restrictions of Thorpe's time. When that is factored I can not include either of them with a good conscious.

But let's continue making assumptions about why that rating was used in regard to your post.

I can't get involved in this.

My passion for Barça runs on a similar plain to that of my Cleveland-fandom. It's because of this that I've lost countless friends of the years on account of countless heated arguments and the ridiculous inability for people to recognize the absurd, other-worldly gift that is Lionel Messi :chuckle:.

If you don't watch Barça each week and haven't done so for at least 10+ years or from the beginning of the Messi-era, it's hard for anyone to comment. In Oz, we have a big EPL following. Consequently, there's still a big Ronaldo following. How many of those people that argue nonsense about Ronaldo have watched a full Ronaldo or full Messi match over the years? Nil.

It's pretty simple. Quotes from ignorant football fans compare Ronaldo to Messi. Quotes from the game's greats and every-day analysts and journalists compare Messi to the greatest players to ever play the game.

And what he does - at any level of sport - I'm certain would be impossible to replicate.

EDIT: As far as the 'greatest athlete ever,' I don't think anyone has a right to determine this. It's a pretty open and subjective question. I find that you can only really isolate 'best ever' on a per-sport-basis and to be honest, when I think of the 'best athlete of all time,' my mind immediately jumps to Olympians.

Last edited:
Reactions: KB
So you're saying Bruce Jenner then?

Poor Bruce....

as a soccer player. someone that played for 15 years. your answer is no, messi is not the greatest athlete ever.

my top 5, in order.

jim thorpe
secretariat
bo jackson/michael jordan
pele

Just how modern day sports are set up no one will ever touch jim thorpe. let me quote wiki "he won Olympic gold medals for the 1912 pentathlon and decathlon, played American football (collegiate and professional), and also played professional baseball and basketball."

what other sports does messi play?

But... but... but... I love soccer so one of the best players now HAS to be the greatest athlete of all time, because did I mention that I love soccer?... and Messi rulez and you all suck! And I heard Messi kicks azz in Tiddlywinks too. So there! He's the best!

Quotes from ignorant football fans compare Ronaldo to Messi.

I guess that makes me ignorant. :chuckle:

I'm glad though that at least you recognize on some level that you are biased. Very few Barca fans are capable of that. :chuckle:

And this thread perfectly demonstrates why soccer sucks. Everything that's happened in here over the last two pages has been just about as embarrassing as soccer itself.

@Maximus

ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

'merica :chuckle:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."