• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Kyrie Irving

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyrie may have been ranked 23rd in assists per game this year with 5.2 per game; however, it's interesting to note that he ranked 8th in secondary assists per game (otherwise known as hockey assists) with 1.6 per game. And he's not too far behind from 5th place James Harden who is also around 1.6 per game. (Chris Paul destroys everyone in secondary assists with 2.8 per game, which is 1.0 assist more per game than second place John Wall, helping to prove the validity of the stat.)

People get caught up in the raw assists numbers, but they don't realize there's more to playmaking than that. Kyrie doesn't just pass to assist. Essentially playing off the ball, he's done a good job of setting up other players (even when it's not a direct assist) by keeping the ball moving and finding the guys who are open, who then will occasionally make another pass for a better shot - a shot which Kyrie helped to set up. A lot of the people who criticize Irving's playmaking are fans of other teams who don't even watch the Cavs and just look at the box scores after the games. Like I said before, there's more to playmaking than just the raw assist numbers.

He may have gotten more assists per game last season with 6.1 per game but he's not the primary facilitator anymore, so it's more difficult to rack up the assists. I would argue he's done an infinitely better job this season in the playmaking department.

I was at the game yesterday. Kyrie was outstanding and it felt like he could've done more.

The Cavs are in excellent shape for a long time.

Tony Parker isn't even the same ball park as a shooter

If we're going by simply this year, Parker actually had the edge on Irving in both 3P% (42.7 to 41.5) and overall FG% (48.6 to 46.8). That said, Kyrie took five threes a game to Parker's 1.3, so Kyrie's number is actually far more impressive.

Regardless, a better Tony Parker is a good place for Kyrie to aim. His game is similar to Parker's, although Kyrie is obviously more talented.

Kyrie is similar to parker in his ability to penetrate but that's about it. Maybe the assist numbers are similar too but kyrie is a better shooter, uses his left jand on finishes while tony primarily uses his right and has much more moves and better ball handling. Parker shoots closer to the basket and doesn't take as many threes and outside shots as kyrie. Kyrie has a more effective and efficient shooting game when you consider that he makes more threes which count for more points than two pointers while shooting close to the same percentage. Irving is more like an Iverson with a better jumpshot.

Can we all put Jon on ignore until after we win the championship? Can't even enjoy a reading this thread with his spamming BS. smfh.

As a scorer, he reminds me of Kobe, another guy with grea vision and passing ability who didn't use it quite as often as he probably should have. That's not to say Kyrie is as good as Kobe or anything, but I think they have similar mentalities.

He's so much more polished as a scorer than Kobe was at that point in his Career though. I don't think we've ever seen a guard with such a complete scoring game as Kyrie that early in their career. AI? better athlete, but not as good from 3. Price? incredible shooter but not as good going inside. MJ? incredible, incredible at finishing and practically automatic from mid range... but was never a knock down 3-point shooter. Kyrie is literally a threat from everywhere on the court and at the same time he has the ability to get everywhere on the floor. just fuckin' imagine the kind of player he'll be in a couple of years under the tutelage of LeBron and Blatt... He stays healthy and works hard he'll be the best scorer in the NBA within two years. bar none.

Last edited:
The only category I'd give Parker the edge over Kyrie is in experience and basketball I.Q. and that's to expected especially when you consider how many years Parker has played and that he's had the best coach in the history of the game in his ear his entire career.

The Tony Parker comparison is very good. Parker developed into an elite mid range shooter, and has had seasons where he's been at the top of the entire NBA in paint shooting percentage. He's not the deep shooter that Kyrie is, but he's an NBA Finals MVP.

Acting like the guy can't carry Kyrie's jock is hilarious. That would be an amazing test for both players in a best of 7, and Parker's experience would give him the advantage going in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."