• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

So Long, Mo Gotti Williams

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
If he's coming for the vet minimum then great. But I'm not really feeling all that nostalgic about getting the band back together. Dellevadova might honestly be the better fit on this team.

Apparently you've only watched the Spurs, because the Cavs alone have had plenty of players far far worse than Mo Williams.

I mean damn. You come across as a hater.

I do hate Mo Williams. He reminds me of a worse version of Steve Francis. Someone who can put up stats strictly because of high usage, but someone you can't depend on to win games. He always struck me as the anti-LeBron, a no intangibles player who only looked good in box scores, back when he was on the Cavs.

I like the team you guys have here, especially getting Mozgov and Shumpert for nothing. With a healthy Varejao and Love you guys should really be ridiculous next year.

Wow, you guys would actually want Mo Williams back? I think he's one of the worst NBA players I have ever seen, and I was disappointed when he got injured in the Spurs-Blazers series last year since he's such an awful point guard with no court awareness. I wouldn't want Mo on a minimum contract, and I doubt LeBron would want him back either. I always found it really frustrating watching Cavs games and seeing him shoot ridiculous 20 footers after dribbling for a few seconds instead of actually running an offense. Good luck tonight and in the rest of the playoffs, I'm rooting for you guys to win it all, but God I hope you guys never sign him unless he starts looking to come to San Antonio. Then I'd be happy for you all to steal him from us.

Not even remotely close to the worst player I've ever seen. Sure, he's no All-Star and he's on the downswing of his career, but the guy can still shoot and score off the bench, something the Cavs were lacking this year because guys they brought in to supposedly produce in that role (Jones, Marion, Miller) didn't do it.

I have no problem with the Cavs bringing him in to be the third PG on this team. It's not like they would be bringing him in to be a main cog like he was in his first stint in Cleveland.

Not even remotely close to the worst player I've ever seen. Sure, he's no All-Star and he's on the downswing of his career, but the guy can still shoot and score off the bench, something the Cavs were lacking this year because guys they brought in to supposedly produce in that role (Jones, Marion, Miller) didn't do it.

I have no problem with the Cavs bringing him in to be the third PG on this team. It's not like they would be bringing him in to be a main cog like he was in his first stint in Cleveland.

Exactly.

Mo Williams, JR Smith and Tristan Thompson is a solid 3-man bench rotation covering your primary needs at point, wing, and the post.

You're not really concerned with efficiency considering both Smith and Thompson will be on the floor with TS% north of .560.

Considering Williams and Smith are also historically great 3-point shooters, both can handle the ball well, and both can play point; I actually like the idea of them sharing the floor.

Williams doesn't really displace Delly, the players compliment one another.

I wouldn't necessarily say no, but I wouldn't be thrilled to have Mo Gotti back.

I also wouldnt say he is on the downside of his career. He did have a 50+ pt game this season, and averaged 17 ppg after being traded to a playoff contender (close but no cigar). He is not a washed up as many are making him out to be.

I wouldn't necessarily say no, but I wouldn't be thrilled to have Mo Gotti back.

I also wouldnt say he is on the downside of his career. He did have a 50+ pt game this season, and averaged 17 ppg after being traded to a playoff contender (close but no cigar). He is not a washed up as many are making him out to be.

That's why I think some team will give him more than the vet minimum. He's still worth more than that and he doesn't have many more earning years left. And if I am the Cavs, I'm almost certainly not interested in paying him more than the minimum.

Two years with LeBron in Cleveland he put up 58%+ TS. Rest of his career he has consistently shot 50-53% TS, including this past year. If he came back to Cleveland, and has the chance actually to play alongside LeBron some, I wouldn't be surprised to see his true shooting get into the mid 50s, which is solid for a guard.

I'm sure Mo can get more than the minimum. If he wants to win and return to his "#favcity" and would sacrifice the money, then I think we can certainly put him to good use. Kyrie will get nicked up in the future, and a spot up shooter that can handle the ball is well worth the minimum should he accept it.

I am very biased towards the idea of bringing him back.

I'm sure Mo can get more than the minimum. If he wants to win and return to his "#favcity" and would sacrifice the money, then I think we can certainly put him to good use. Kyrie will get nicked up in the future, and a spot up shooter that can handle the ball is well worth the minimum should he accept it.

I am very biased towards the idea of bringing him back.

We can offer more than the minimum. We have the taxpayer MLE.

We can offer more than the minimum. We have the taxpayer MLE.
I feel like Mo would be the type of player to be willing to take the min though to be apart of this. I just wonder if the history with LeBron is a plus or minus at this point and how big of a factor it will play.

Why do people want Mo? Do you guys realize our guard rotation consists of Kyrie/Shumpert/JR/Delly/Harris? No more room for another guard.

Assuming our main core will still be intact next year, our depth chart will look like this:

PG: Kyrie/Delly
SG: Shumpert/Smith/Harris
SF: LeBron/?
PF: Love/Tristan
C: Mozgov/Varejao

Jones and Miller might return, but they're not good enough to get consistent minutes as the backup to LeBron in my opinion, especially with another season of age under their belts (Jones could probably play a little under 10 minutes a game when needed though).

We should be looking for a backup SF who can defend at a high level. I'm thinking we're going to fill this position through the draft…*cough* Rondae Hollis Jefferson…though it's possible that we'll acquire another SF by moving the Haywood contract, as well.

Why do people want Mo? Do you guys realize our guard rotation consists of Kyrie/Shumpert/JR/Delly/Harris? No more room for another guard.

1) We've been playing a ton of 3-guard rotations this season, and that's not likely to change next season, especially with how much we shoot from behind the arc. Williams only helps in that endeavor.

2) Why is Harris in your lineup?

Assuming our main core will still be intact next year, our depth chart will look like this:

PG: Kyrie/Delly
SG: Shumpert/Smith/Harris
SF: LeBron/?
PF: Love/Tristan
C: Mozgov/Varejao

See, you did it here too.

Shump and Smith can both play the 3, and Harris has no business in your lineup; not over Mo Williams at least.

PG: Kyrie (34) / Mo Williams (14)
SG: Shumpert (30) / Mo Williams (10) / Delly (8)
SF: LeBron (24) / Smith (24)
PF: Love (32) / Tristan (8) / James (8)
C: Mozgov (24) / Tristan (16) / AV (8)

Kyrie: 34 mpg
James: 32 mpg
Love: 32 mpg
Shumpert: 30 mpg
Smith: 24 mpg
Tristan: 24 mpg
Williams: 24 mpg
Mozgov: 24 mpg
Delly: 8 mpg
AV: 8 mpg

I'd prefer to reduce Irving's minutes as I do not like Kyrie leading the NBA in minutes played or even coming close to it.

If we're doing well, or if Irving or Williams is not doing well, Delly would get additional minutes. But I'd rather have Williams run the point, even if they're on the floor together.

Jones, Miller, and Harris are not listed because they would not have guaranteed minutes. Jones wouldn't have minutes at all if AV and Love are both healthy. Miller is done, we shouldn't even be concerned about fitting him in the roster, and Harris belongs in the D-League for most nights.

Jones and Miller

...aren't guards...

We should be looking for a backup SF who can defend at a high level.

I agree, that'd be great, but might not be possible with the tools we have.

I'm thinking we're going to fill this position through the draft…

Not going to happen.

though it's possible that we'll acquire another SF by moving the Haywood contract, as well.

Not likely..

If we move Haywood, it will likely amount to a pick that we can either use ourselves or bundle with another player in a trade. The question is, who would you trade?

48 mins of Kyrie and Mo at the point is a lot of bad defense. I've seen Kyrie be able to be competent when he's healthy and wants to be, but I have no faith that Mo is going to suddenly change when he's 32.

I get the allure of having Mo on the team in case of injury, but I still want Delly getting plenty of minutes as our backup because of what his defense does for us.

48 mins of Kyrie and Mo at the point is a lot of bad defense. I've seen Kyrie be able to be competent when he's healthy and wants to be, but I have no faith that Mo is going to suddenly change when he's 32.

I get the allure of having Mo on the team in case of injury, but I still want Delly getting plenty of minutes as our backup because of what his defense does for us.

Kyrie and Mo would play the point on offense, and even then, for maybe 24-26 minutes a night. Otherwise, they'd be basically playing off-guard.

On defense, you tuck them away on the opposing team's worst defender, and that's just on Kyrie's off night. Generally though, I expect Kyrie to become a plus-defender next season as he showed he was capable of being this season.

Mo Williams, coming off the bench, isn't guaranteed to get 24 minutes per game; it's only when matchups permit. But not many teams have 5 man bench rotations where all perimeter players are threats.

Kyrie and Mo would play the point on offense, and even then, for maybe 24-26 minutes a night. Otherwise, they'd be basically playing off-guard.

On defense, you tuck them away on the opposing team's worst defender, and that's just on Kyrie's off night. Generally though, I expect Kyrie to become a plus-defender next season as he showed he was capable of being this season.

Mo Williams, coming off the bench, isn't guaranteed to get 24 minutes per game; it's only when matchups permit. But not many teams have 5 man bench rotations where all perimeter players are threats.

Yeah, I guess I just don't see Delly not being our main backup at pg next year after the playoff run he's had. His confidence, and his teammate's confidence in him, has grown tremendously over the past few weeks, so I think we'll see more of this Delly for the whole season next year.

Now, as I said I think it would be wise to bring in a third veteran guy to have as a backup in case of injury, and if Mo was happy to do that then I would be fine with that but I think he's going to get a bigger role and more money from someone else.

Yeah, I guess I just don't see Delly not being our main backup at pg next year after the playoff run he's had. His confidence, and his teammate's confidence in him, has grown tremendously over the past few weeks, so I think we'll see more of this Delly for the whole season next year.

Now, as I said I think it would be wise to bring in a third veteran guy to have as a backup in case of injury, and if Mo was happy to do that then I would be fine with that but I think he's going to get a bigger role and more money from someone else.

But Delly isn't really running the point during the playoffs when he comes in though. He's averaging 4.4asts/2.4tov with 3.9pf per/36 with an ast% of 19.9%.. That's... not running the point. He's basically playing off-guard next to LeBron James, and since he's a legitimate 3-point threat, you have to guard him.

So to me, a backup backcourt of Williams and Delly doesn't really change Delly's role, but it does allow James to sit with Irving.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."