• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The "What are you playing now?" Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I doubt it, they worked with only one build because they didn't have the manpower to have a seperate build for the PC. They had to cater to the lowest common denominator unfortunately.

This really sucks because this is a PC game series. Most people on consoles had no idea what the Witcher was until the third one was revealed and hyped. If only these new consoles weren't such shit boxes. This is probably the weakest console launch ever considering the technology that was available at the time.

I doubt it, they worked with only one build because they didn't have the manpower to have a seperate build for the PC. They had to cater to the lowest common denominator unfortunately.

This really sucks because this is a PC game series. Most people on consoles had no idea what the Witcher was until the third one was revealed and hyped. If only these new consoles weren't such shit boxes. This is probably the weakest console launch ever considering the technology that was available at the time.

This makes me laugh. Devs cried that the lowest common denominator was the X1, yet it's the PS4 release that has consistent framerate issues.

This makes me laugh. Devs cried that the lowest common denominator was the X1, yet it's the PS4 release that has consistent framerate issues.
Those two consoles are similar enough that you can point at both of them for the reason for the downgrade. The x1 runs on the same cpu from what I gather, but it is clocked slightly higher. The GPU on the ps4 is superior(but still very weak), which is probably why that console gets more games running at higher resolutions.

They are both pretty shitty when you factor in the tech that was available at the time. The cpus that both consoles have are trash and the gpu's were on the lower end. Their saving grace was they upgraded the amount of ram significantly. That was a huge problem last generation.

Compare that to previous generations of consoles and they typically had the best GPU that was available and often times had a higher powered (and sometimes exotic) processor.

Those two consoles are similar enough that you can point at both of them for the reason for the downgrade. The x1 runs on the same cpu from what I gather, but it is clocked slightly higher. The GPU on the ps4 is superior(but still very weak), which is probably why that console gets more games running at higher resolutions.

They are both pretty shitty when you factor in the tech that was available at the time. The cpus that both consoles have are trash and the gpu's were on the lower end. Their saving grace was they upgraded the amount of ram significantly. That was a huge problem last generation.

Compare that to previous generations of consoles and they typically had the best GPU that was available and often times had a higher powered (and sometimes exotic) processor.

The main issue between the x1/ps4 was the type of RAM used. X1 = DDR3, PS4 = DDR5. That seemed to be the limiting factor with the x1.

I just find it all humorous because the devs of Witcher 3 spent months complaining about the x1 limiting them soooo much that all the review copies sent out were for PS4. Company with the marketing deal? Microsoft. And here we are, 5 days before release, copies are out in the wild. PS4 has consistent framerate issues that make it play like a flipbook at times. X1? No issues. But you know, the company that has mass marketed the shit out of our game? Yeah, it's the crappy version.

The main issue between the x1/ps4 was the type of RAM used. X1 = DDR3, PS4 = DDR5. That seemed to be the limiting factor with the x1.

I just find it all humorous because the devs of Witcher 3 spent months complaining about the x1 limiting them soooo much that all the review copies sent out were for PS4. Company with the marketing deal? Microsoft. And here we are, 5 days before release, copies are out in the wild. PS4 has consistent framerate issues that make it play like a flipbook at times. X1? No issues. But you know, the company that has mass marketed the shit out of our game? Yeah, it's the crappy version.
Perhaps the X1 is running at a lower resolution than the ps4 version? I know that's been the case with most of the games that are multi platform.

Perhaps the X1 is running at a lower resolution than the ps4 version? I know that's been the case with most of the games that are multi platform.

Xbone is doing that dynamic scaling resolution they've started to use more.

Developer CD Projekt said it had added dynamic scaling to the Xbox One version, which boosts the resolution from 900p to 1080p depending on what's happening in-game.

Here's how it works, as explained by Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter:

"Dynamic resolution scaling is a really interesting feature - pixel count adjusts according to GPU load, the idea being to ensure the highest possible resolution while maintaining a consistent frame-rate. The idea isn't new at all, and we've seen a whole host of different implementations over the years.

"Most recently, we've seen Wolfenstein: The New Order adjust resolution on the horizontal axis progressively, reducing as GPU load increases - the difference in image quality mostly disappearing in between the fast action and post-process effects.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-one-uses-dynamic-scaling-to-boost-resolution

I bought Invisible Inc the other day. It's made by Klei, who have made some awesome games like Mark of the Ninja, Don't Starve, and the Shank series. It's a turn-based stealth game where you basically infiltrate corporate buildings to steal information and obtain new weapons. The levels are all procedurally generated, so every game is effectively different. You can also adjust just about every aspect of the game itself to make it harder, easier, or somewhere in between. I think you can adjust the difficulty as you play too, although I haven't tried it yet. Regardless, the amount of things you can adjust is pretty cool and makes for a better tailored experience depending on how you want to play.

I've played the first three or four levels so far and am liking the game. If you like stealth and turn-based RPG style gameplay, you'll probably like this game. You can also get it for 20% off on Steam if you own Mark of the Ninja (and if you don't...why?).

I know it's a small thing, but I really hope on Witcher 3 PC the controller support is better, on witcher 2 it just doesn't feel right having played 2 on both PC/360.

RIP 2013 version of Witcher 3
UnrealisticComplexGrunion.gif

Not bad. Looks almost as good as my modded Skyrim.

FYI, new episode of Telltale's Game of Thrones released today. I haven't played it, but noticed that Steam downloaded it for me. I'll probably get to it sometime this week if I can bring myself to stop playing Witcher 3.

I finally finished up Mass Effect 3, chose to control the Reapers. I really wanted to help the Illusive Man during the second half of the game; dude was making so much sense.

Last edited:
The only thing that made sense about the Mass Effect 3 ending was turning the game off and playing something else.

Anybody mess with PoE? I was a big fan of Diablo/Guildwars growing up. Did some research and this is supposed to be somewhat similar. Great reviews as well. I have some more time than I usually have so was thinking about getting back into some casual play at least.

Anybody mess with PoE? I was a big fan of Diablo/Guildwars growing up. Did some research and this is supposed to be somewhat similar. Great reviews as well. I have some more time than I usually have so was thinking about getting back into some casual play at least.

Pillars of Eternity is a great game. Haven't really had a lot of time to mess around with it, just been too preoccupied with too many other things. But yeah. Really good.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."