• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Matthew Dellavedova

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
A 6'4 guy who defends three positions, and often switches on and off initiating the offense is most certainly a combo guard. That's why I included a few guys who played the same role at the same physical size, like Wesley and Jon Barry.
Yes, you described his role on this team. Which I already said I agree with. If you think he would play the same role on a team where defenses don't have to pay attention to 3 guys who are at the top of their position in the league on offense, then I don't know what to tell you.

Keep making me look good, Nate.
These are called delusions of grandeur. But hey, we have our back up point guard and won't be looking for anyone in the offseason, right?
Enjoy all the negative rep you piled up today during your public undressing.
I just chalk that up to it finally being recess in Australia.

Now that is some masterful Grade A trolling right there. Even Keys has to admire that.

Well-played.

Recess in the summer? The ass kicking continues.

And by cracky, my grandeur is real. Screw up basketball analysis all you want, I learned long ago that people have the right to be completely wrong about basketball. But, you leave my impeccable grandeur out of this. That just makes it personal.

Uh, Keys....You might want to think about that one for a bit.

In soccer, I think that would be referred to as an "own goal."

Uh, Keys....You might want to think about that one for a bit.

In soccer, I think that would be referred to as an "own goal."

I'm rattled. He questioned my grandeur.

BTW, I've been driving the Delon Wright fan club during the college season and I'm fully in favor of Haywood for Mills + a big. The team needs not just a point guard, but several players who know how to run Popovich type sets with motion and shooting. Mills can get dribble penetration, but he also plays EXACTLY like Delly. They would be great coming off the same bench.

So a list of off ball guards whose only job was to stand still and be a dead-eye shooter, point guards who were clearly better off the dribble than Delly, and veteran point guards who were once dribble penetrators and evolved their game to create with their back to the basket and working angles? Delly fits into only the first category, and I submit many players can play that role with 50% open looks.

There's a reason I said PG who cannot create off the dribble, which is what Delly would most likely be around the league. Lucky for him we do not use him that way. And when we do, the team goes out and tries to replace him.

Wow. 11 disagrees. That's a lot.

Both sides seem crazy to me on the Delly debate.

Delly is trash? Are you kidding, he can hit an open shot and comes in and plays harder than anyone, including the James Brown of basketball TT

Delly is a great backup pg? He is an average at best ball handler that doesn't have the ability to penetrate or create his own shot.

So what is Delly? Delly is combo guard who is an excellent 3-D guy who is a glue type guy. He is 6-4 in shoes and stocky, I don't think of him as an undersized sg, but more of a sg than pg.

I want Delly back. We need another quick pg on this roster, but delly can defend 3 positions, play sg (and pg in a pinch) and just change a game from his defense alone. In fact, with a more balanced roster, Delly could take the backup sg minutes.

Delly is trash? Are you kidding, he can hit an open shot and comes in and plays harder than anyone, including the James Brown of basketball TT

Delly is a great backup pg? He is an average at best ball handler that doesn't have the ability to penetrate or create his own shot.

So what is Delly? Delly is combo guard who is an excellent 3-D guy who is a glue type guy. He is 6-4 in shoes and stocky, I don't think of him as an undersized sg, but more of a sg than pg.

I want Delly back. We need another quick pg on this roster, but delly can defend 3 positions, play sg (and pg in a pinch) and just change a game from his defense alone. In fact, with a more balanced roster, Delly could take the backup sg minutes.

Bingo.

Great post. Just to add a couple of things.

Delly is something of a situational guy in that there are some matchups/games where he just isn't very effective. But there are other games where he leads the team in +/- and is instrumental in the win.

That's what makes him perfect as a role player, and the fact that he is ineffective in some games isn't a reason to get rid of him. That's just the reason you need that 3rd PG.

The other thing is that some people confuse Delly's lack of athleticism with an inability to improve his game. But in fact, he's shown steady improvement since being drafted, and has demonstrated an ability to adjust his game to better handle matchups in which he previously would have been toasted.

Great post. Just to add a couple of things.

Delly is something of a situational guy in that there are some matchups/games where he just isn't very effective. But there are other games where he leads the team in +/- and is instrumental in the win.

That's what makes him perfect as a role player, and the fact that he is ineffective in some games isn't a reason to get rid of him. That's just the reason you need that 3rd PG.

The other thing is that some people confuse Delly's lack of athleticism with an inability to improve his game. But in fact, he's shown steady improvement since being drafted, and has demonstrated an ability to adjust his game to better handle matchups in which he previously would have been toasted.
Totally agree. To me this is one of those players who can make Blatt look smart, the way Kerr looked smart when he could insert a guy like David Lee or Shawn Livingston. If Blatt has some real, viable options on the bench in a playoff series he can go to them when the situation dictates and hopefully get good mileage out of them and keep the starters better rested in the process.

People need to remember that Delly is a second year player...there is substantial upside.

To compare: in his second year Delly had 4.8/3.0/1.9...another PG,who won 6 rings, in his second year had the figures of 4.8/2.3/0.6...yep, Steve Kerr...also in Cleveland...

I said all of this, except I'm not ready to call him an excellent 3 and D guy considering the gift he has been given to play with the players we have. Unfortunately most people here take anything that isn't praise as an attack on a guy's right to exist as a person. And then you have people like Keys who think the only way someone can disagree with them is because they are an idiot. Hard to get reasonable discussion out of that.

And by cracky, my grandeur is real. Screw up basketball analysis all you want, I learned long ago that people have the right to be completely wrong about basketball. But, you leave my impeccable grandeur out of this. That just makes it personal.
I get that you are doing a little performance here. That's fine.

But you are swinging at windmills of your own creation and calling it a victory. You haven't engaged with the points I made and instead continue to set up and knock down your own invented arguments. It will continue being a big hit for you, I'm sure. But people with any kind of reading comprehension and interest in real discussion will see it for what it is.

Keep on dancin'.

Nate, your tone was condescending before I got in on this post, and just out condescended you. Going forward, it might be time to take it back a notch. It clearly wasn't working for you.

As for Lee's post, I will continue to believe Dellavedova ends up a part of the regular rotation. He might get less minutes in certain situations next season, but that can be said for everyone on the roster. The Cavaliers had a very real depth issue last year. Delly was 6th on the team in total minutes played, despite missing a few weeks with an injury. In the playoffs, the Cavaliers should have never been in a position where they only had one active point guard. Those problems shouldn't be present in year two of contending. I just don't believe you need to trash Dellavedova in the process of aquiring adequate depth.

I believe he will end up around 8th or so in minutes. If the Cavaliers didn't have souch dead weight at the end of the bench, Dellavedova wouldn't be perceived as getting too many minutes.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."