• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cleveland Browns Quarterback Position

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
1st year.. happy to be on the team
2nd year backed up carson palmer
3rd year. started had an injury.
4th year. no contract
5th year team carousel. after last cut opened himself up to wr

seems like TP gave the QB role thing a try and decided he wanted to stay in the NFL. seems rather sensible.

Fillipino is familiar with TP and started him as QB. I think the intention of keeping him on as WR or TE is a serious one and the Browns lose absolutely nothing giving him a try.

The guy is 6 '4 . if he can catch the ball then he is an immediate threat and gives the receiving corp more height.

I dont think the question should be is TP gonna make the team or not. it should be who are they wanting to get rid of.

It also allows the Browns to cut down to 2 or 3 quarterbacks and utilize him as an emergency QB.

I have no expectations either way. if it works it works if it dont it dont. pretty simple

If he can actually catch and makes the team, I think they would b dumb NOT to throw some passing plays into his playbook. You never have to use them until you are up and possibly have the game locked (will that ever happen w/the Browns??) but it will keep the other team on their toes and can only benefit them whenever he is in the game. Teams will have to keep an eye out for it.

Man, the Browns sure do know how to create insufferable stories surrounding them.

At least we're not talking about Josh Gordon failing another drug test.. Yet. :dunno:

Pryor sounds like a joke but he's at least worth a shot. Size, speed and impact he is a worthwhile gamble. The likelihood he makes the team let alone becomes a contributor is low but the possibility is there he can do it.

Definitely worth a shot. He also frees up a roster spot by being able to play two positions. If he can contribute on special teams, then he'd be hard to cut. There's been quite a few former Qbs to make the switch to WR. There's no reason why he couldn't, unless he just refuses to make the effort. He's got to see the door closing on his career though.

I figured I'd dust this thread off since we will be talking about multiple QB options from now until May.

With the news of Austin Davis starting for the Browns, it's clear to me Mike Pettine is being his own man. Rumor is the front office wanted Manziel to play but Pettine has control of who plays and who doesn't. To me, this is Pettine saying "Fire me at the end of the year if you want but Manziel has not earned the job on the field and certainly not off"

View: https://twitter.com/Espngreeny/status/672093166829494272

I saw the stat the other day but I can't find it. I think this is the 4th year in a row and 5th out of the last 6 years that the Browns will start 3 QBs in 1 season.

To me, this is Pettine saying "Fire me at the end of the year if you want but Manziel has not earned the job on the field and certainly not off"

I think it's more him saying "You're gonna have to fire me to see him start at any point the rest of the year," and it will be interesting to see if Jimmy cares enough to put Pett out of his misery before the offseason.

As I said before, I think the only reason Pett named Johnny the starter was because he knew it was the only way he could keep his job. Once Johnny gave him a reason to not play him then I figured he would keep him nailed to the bench as long as the O-line allowed (which may not be very long).

I saw the stat the other day but I can't find it. I think this is the 4th year in a row and 5th out of the last 6 years that the Browns will start 3 QBs in 1 season.

2011 and 2012 we started 2, so each of the last 3 seasons and 4 out of the last 6.

I think it's more him saying "You're gonna have to fire me to see him start at any point the rest of the year," and it will be interesting to see if Jimmy cares enough to put Pett out of his misery before the offseason.

As I said before, I think the only reason Pett named Johnny the starter was because he knew it was the only way he could keep his job. Once Johnny gave him a reason to not play him then I figured he would keep him nailed to the bench as long as the O-line allowed (which may not be very long).

I don't think Pettine has necessarily drawn the line in the sand. He continually gives Manziel a target.. Pettine said that this will be a weekly thing (deciding who starts), which is saying "Johnny, it's not over", then spells out pretty much exactly what Austin Davis did to earn the start.

So, Pett gave Johnny the opening to earn the job and told him how to do it. This was today and it's happened in the past. I think the quoted part you posted is more of a knee-jerk reaction to anything that doesn't come out pro-Johnny.

I don't think Pettine has necessarily drawn the line in the sand. He continually gives Manziel a target.. Pettine said that this will be a weekly thing (deciding who starts), which is saying "Johnny, it's not over", then spells out pretty much exactly what Austin Davis did to earn the start.

So, Pett gave Johnny the opening to earn the job and told him how to do it. This was today and it's happened in the past. I think the quoted part you posted is more of a knee-jerk reaction to anything that doesn't come out pro-Johnny.

I have no problem with Pett disciplining him; Johnny brought that on himself. I also have no problem with him going to Davis because you can't go back on that shit just because your preferred starter gets hurt.

And you're right, Pett has never been definitive about anything with Johnny. I just think Johnny is not his kind of QB nor his kind of person. Johnny has barely done enough to change his opinion on the first part, and clearly hasn't done anything to change his mind on the second part, so there's no hard feelings from me towards Pett on this particular issue (again, imo, the lack of performance of the defense is the biggest reason to hammer Pett).

If it was anyone BUT the Browns making this move, I'd imagine it would be applauded by many and the player would be cast out publicly.

Instead, dumbass Cleveland fans are up in arms because the Browns punished him and they want to be excited at how much of a celebrity their QB is.

I so hope Austin throws for exactly 316 yards next game.

I so hope Austin throws for exactly 316 yards next game.

"You sit there and you thump your drinks, you make your money symbols, and it didn't get you anywhere. Talk about your videos, talk about your Johnny Footballs, Austin 3:16 says I just took your job."

Last edited:
If it was anyone BUT the Browns making this move, I'd imagine it would be applauded by many and the player would be cast out publicly.

Instead, dumbass Cleveland fans are up in arms because the Browns punished him and they want to be excited at how much of a celebrity their QB is.

I'm still blown away that you think human beings who cheer for a team that's located in one state are somehow vastly different in intelligence or have more or less valid reactions than fans who cheer for teams that are located in other states.

All fans are stupid. Being a fan in itself is stupid.

With all that said, you'd have to be a complete moron to think Johnny should play a single second the rest of the year.

Can't wait til he's cut and Farmer is fired.

I'm still blown away that you think human beings who cheer for a team that's located in one state are somehow vastly different in intelligence or have more or less valid reactions than fans who cheer for teams that are located in other states.

All fans are stupid. Being a fan in itself is stupid.

With all that said, you'd have to be a complete moron to think Johnny should play a single second the rest of the year.

Can't wait til he's cut and Farmer is fired.

I'm not saying the long-term effects of losing on another city wouldn't result in the same kind of stupidity we see from Cleveland fans.

I'm saying this is where we're at now.

There's a difference. They weren't born this stupid.

EDIT: Okay, some were.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."