• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Trade Deadline Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve_424

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
We are just under a month away from the trade deadline and it will be an interesting one for the Indians. First, while they are in a huge hole in the Division race, they're still right there in the Wild Card race. They also have several fringe trade candidates. A quick overview:

Possible Trade Bait

David Murphy - Murphy is quietly having a really nice season and it's unlikely the Indians pick up his $7 M option next season, meaning he's essentially in his final year with the club. Should they decide to sell, he'd draw a lot of interest. He would not, however, net any significant prospects.

Ryan Raburn - Like Murphy, Raburn is having a nice year. Like Murphy, Raburn has a 2016 option that may not be picked up. And, like Murphy, he wouldn't net the Indians anything of major significance.

Mike Aviles - Aviles is a free agent at the end of the year and the Indians have a possible replacement for the utility role waiting in Columbus in Jose Ramirez. With that said, Tito and the Indians front office love the guy and could potentially work to re-sign him this winter.

Jose Ramirez - His value certainly lowered after his dismal start, but I still think there would be suitors. He's currently raking in AAA and plays solid defense.

Lonnie Chisenhall - Urshela simply looks like he better player, meaning the Indians may move on from Chis. I think someone would take a shot on the potential upside.

Michael Bourn/Nick Swisher - Hey, we can dream, can't we?

Possible Trade Targets

Ben Zobrist - Can play just about anywhere and the A's and Indians have a good history in getting deals done. While I'd love to add him, I think he'll cost more than the Indians are willing to part with in prospects.

Ryan Howard - The Phillies might be willing to eat the majority of his contract to get something of value for him. Is it worth it though?

Gerardo Parra - Excellent defender, probable to be traded, but a free agent at year's end.

Tyler Clippard - Excellent reliever entering free agency at the end of the year. He'd be a great 8th inning option.

Adam Lind - He kills right handed pitching and would add some pop to the lineup.

Zach Duke, Will Smith, John Axford - All could potentially help the bullpen.

Justin Morneau - Has been tied to the Indians before.

Mike Napoli - Not having a great year but could be worth giving a shot.

Last edited:
Depending on our record, I definitely could see us selling Raburn, Murphy, and Santana at the deadline.

Eh Raburn and Murphy are looking like a very good Platoon for this year and next. Delmon Young is on the block though so maybe Chiz and a prospect?

Eh Raburn and Murphy are looking like a very good Platoon for this year and next. Delmon Young is on the block though so maybe Chiz and a prospect?

David Murphy should not be back next season at a $7M price tag.

I'm wondering if they make a move similar to the Marlins acquiring Cosart last year. Trade for someone locked up that can help for next year and beyond.

We have the farm to do so now.

Then again doing anything Marlins related is a bad idea.

Last edited:
Delmon Young was DFA'd, and he's garbage.

I'm wondering if they make a move similar to the Marlins acquiring Cosart last year. Trade for someone locked up that can help for next year and beyond.

We have the farm to do so now.

Then again doing anything Marlins related is a bad idea.

Cosart was traded because he needed to be either added to the Astros 40-man roster or be subjected to the Rule 5 draft.

Astros have some tough decisions to make again this offseason.

The Indians will be contending for the foreseeable future with this pitching staff locked in place for a while. I would certainly explore the opportunity to find a controllable bat and/or guys just entering their prime. Anyone in the minors should be available minus Zimmer and Aiken but he's not eligible to be traded anyways.

Joba Chamberlain and Neftali Feliz were both designated for assignment yesterday. The Indians were linked to Joba last winter.

David Murphy should not be back next season at a $7M price tag.

Playing for a shit (cheap) team like the Indians? Absolutely. Guy deserves to play for a better team.

@sgm405 truth hurts bruh!

Last edited:
Playing for a shit (cheap) team like the Indians? Absolutely. Guy deserves to play for a better team.

Could also be the whole "he's a 0.6 WAR player" thing too.

Reactions: AZ_
Depending on our record, I definitely could see us selling Raburn, Murphy, and Santana at the deadline.
I'd add the Chiz to that list. A combination of one or multiples of one and a prospect thrown in could get us a player maybe in his prime that could help short and long term. I have no clue as to who but as always a RH power hitter is on the wish list. I believe the Indians should be almost done with Chiz. He just may need a change of environment. Urshala is the future and is the now. I've had it with Santana also. I'm tired of watching him botch throws and all else. I was brought up to think if the ball hits, nicks, scrapes, or in any way makes contact with your glove, you should catch the damn ball. Watching him at bat is excruciating.

End rant.

You aren't getting a RH power bat with any combination of Santana, Chisenhall, Raburn, and Murphy.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."