• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Euroleague teams vs NBA teams

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How would top Euroleague clubs compare to NBA teams?

• Worse than the worst NBA teams

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Bottom third

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Middle of the pack

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Top third

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Evgeni

Situational Stopper
Reaction score
A question for those who follow European basketball.
Suppose there is a tournament between NBA teams and top 5 Euro clubs. Not a grueling 80 games tournament, but something light. The rules are a somewhere between FIBA and NBA to make it fair. Let's also suppose there is sufficient incentive to win for all teams.

Where do you think the top Euroleague teams will be placed?

I definitely think some of the top Euro league teams like CSKA Moscow and Real Madrid could beat teams like Philly and the Knicks in a five game series.

However, their top teams against our top teams would be no contest.

• FIBA Euroleague era (1978–1999):
    • NBA teams had a record of 23-3 against Euroleague teams during the FIBA era, when the games were played under a set of mixed NBA and FIBA rules.
  • Euroleague Basketball Euroleague era (2003–present):
    • NBA teams have a combined record of 47-11 against Euroleague teams since 2003, playing under NBA rules.
    • NBA teams have a record of 34-3 when playing the games at home, under NBA rules, and with three NBA refs.
    • NBA teams have a record of 13-8 when playing the games away, under NBA rules, with two NBA refs and one Euroleague ref.
  • NBA teams have an overall record of 70-14 against Euroleague teams.

I think we should look at the 2003+ data since European basketball improved in the last decade on account of basketball becoming a more international sport.

47-11 is somewhere in the bottom third. However The data is skewed a bit I think because NBA teams probably had less incentive to win. On the other hand these games were played under NBA rules, which is significant, and a lot of the games were played against bad European teams (Maccabi Haifa last year for example). So all in all I think the best European team would be somewhere in the middle in a virtual tournament against NBA.

Last edited:
The 13-8 road record is a mirage. When you come down to it. Euroleague players are often rotational players in the NBa and player who dont cut it in the NBA are eurloeague stars. see Anthony Parker.

The problem with Euroleague s that these teams compete against at least 100 other teams in their domestic leagues. this dilutes the talent that those 24 teams acquire even though they get their choice picks.

Until the Euroleague becomes a dedicated league and does not compete in their domestic leagues. you really arent seeing the best these teams have to offer even if its pretty close with the structure they have.

Despites its stride to be more centralized the Euroleague is still essentially a tournament of tournaments

How would the MLS compare to the major European clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus etc ?

Euro teams can obviously compete in any one game with the bottom third of NBA teams, but what sets the NBA apart is the night in and night out play. Euro teams would be by far the worst. They would not have the athletes to constantly compete.

Again, in one game yeah they could beat teams but not doing it constantly. They would just be overwhelmed. You look at FIBA play, and teams that play the USA literally look like that if they lose the worst thing will happen to them. You just can't do that every other night or every third night

Only Real,CSKA,Olympiacos,Panathinaikos and Barcelona could compete with NBA team's and I will even dare to say that Real Madrid could actualy compete for a place in the playoff in the eastern conference, because their core players plays together for a long time and these players actualy have NBA skills, but apart from these teams we would only see blowouts, unless your openent is 76ers. The biggest difference between NBA and Euroleague is that NBA clubs actualy make profit, when in euroleague it is almost impossible to do that. Thats why my home team Zalgiris Kaunas would be crushed by any NBA team, even through we make Euroleague top 16 almost every year. What can you expect when a team with a budget of 5 million dollars face's a team which bench warmer earns 5million dollars.

Well, we seem to have posters wondering how competitive International Teams would be going against the NBA on a regular basis?

I'll leave this "jewel" here.

And then I'll leave this opinion: It's hogwash. The only team to lose more than once to a Euroleague team is (ironically) the only team that doesn't currently play home games in the United States. And that's after playing 10 games total. And most of these games are before the grueling regular season, a "tune-up" game in October.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."