• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Johnny Manziel: Swan Won't Return His Calls

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Well I've seen enough practice cut ups and tweets from Pete Prisco to change my tune.

Kid will be a real treat to watch. He's got the talent...

Derp

Prisco is an old school guy who really values traditional QB play. He was anti-Manziel in the draft and just did not buy into the circus that was the John Football experience. I'm a little taken aback by his comments. Doesn't change my opinion on Manziel but it was curious to see Prisco throw some backhanded compliments his way.

Knew this was going to happen. The story is Pettine stopped short of guaranteeing that McCown will be the starter Week 1. Sounds more like he doesn't want to be lambasted if McCown gets hurt early or if Johnny really does bust his ass off and do well.

The Cleveland media ran wild with the quotes from the OTAs that McCown was the starter, but this was always a legit possibility. I still think Josh is the favorite to win the job (at least to start the season) and I don't think there will be any sort of real "qb competition," but I think Johnny will have a chance if he keeps grinding and more importantly proves that he is somewhat capable.

The Cleveland media ran wild with the quotes from the OTAs that McCown was the starter, but this was always a legit possibility. I still think Josh is the favorite to win the job (at least to start the season) and I don't think there will be any sort of real "qb competition," but I think Johnny will have a chance if he keeps grinding and more importantly proves that he is somewhat capable.

Agreed. I think holding back from a guarantee allows the back-up (2nd year Johnny) to have incentive to bust his ass. If there's a tone being portrayed from within that Johnny has absolutely no chance, that's crappy of the organization as well as disheartening for the young guy trying to work his way up.. Maybe there'd be a guarantee if the Browns had a stud, but they have Josh McCown.

If this is true, that was a huge problem last year. Of course, this would be the 1st nail in the coffin. Now he needs to find some field vision & become a better pocket passer to go w/his arm, scrambling ability. And we may have a QB battle.

I just would really love to know if we need to go after yet ANOTHER QB next year. Manziel needs to be used. McCown is our fallback. We can not give him another small sample size & decide fromthere.

Manziel still has the biggest hurdle ahead of him... Getting balls to his receivers quickly, using anticipation in order to fit the ball through tighter windows. You or I can learn a playbook.

If this is true, that was a huge problem last year. Of course, this would be the 1st nail in the coffin. Now he needs to find some field vision & become a better pocket passer to go w/his arm, scrambling ability. And we may have a QB battle.

I just would really love to know if we need to go after yet ANOTHER QB next year. Manziel needs to be used. McCown is our fallback. We can not give him another small sample size & decide fromthere.
We do.

But I agree, Manziel needs to play. Every down McCown plays is an absolute waste of time.

We already know the answer to this question...

But I admire the false hope from Browns fans.

Reactions: caf
This is an interesting scenario to me.

Clearly there is no future (and depending on how much stock you put into his time with TB last year, no present) with Josh McCown as the QB of the Browns. Given his age and the fact that minus one 6 week stretch with Chicago he's never really been that good to begin with. That's pretty obvious to anyone who watches or understands football.

That said, it's certainly possible/likely that based on what we - and more important, Pettine and his crew - know of and have seen so far that Johnny Manziel is actually WORSE than McCown.

Regardless, common sense says give Manziel every rep, every snap and let him sink or swim. He'll almost certainly sink, but at least you'd know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can't play plus you'd be in a position to land whoever the top QB is next season. If by some miracle he doesn't sink, then maybe you have something moving forward. But pretty much every person on this board knows before this season even stars that the Browns are going nowhere with McCown.

However, since the Browns won 7 games last year, I think it is certainly plausible that ole Jimbo Haslam is dumb enough to not understand that record was the byproduct of A. an EXTREMELY weak schedule and B. a string of a good fortune with not turning the ball over the first half of the season.

I think Pettine realizes what he's dealing with ownership wise and is going to do whatever it takes to squeeze out as many wins as he possibly can this year in an effort to keep his job. If they were to play Manziel all 16 games, he fell on his face, and they were to go 2-14, Pettine would assuredly be fired, fair or unfair. If they play McCown all 16 and go 6-10, perhaps Pettine isn't fired. I absolutely think Jimmy is stupid enough to use last year's 7 wins as a bench mark without using any context behind that number.

Last edited:
Haven't stopped laughing at the Browns trying to sell McCown as a 'bridge QB'.

What in the F is that?

They're just using the word 'bridge' instead of 'shitty'

Haven't stopped laughing at the Browns trying to sell McCown as a 'bridge QB'.

What in the F is that?

They're just using the word 'bridge' instead of 'shitty'

They're not mutually exclusive terms. A QB can be both shitty and a bridge QB at the same time.

If you really don't know, a bridge QB is one that is supposed to serve you from time "X" (Now) until you get to time "Y" where a long-term solution (read: QB) is implemented (via draft, trade, FA signing, or internal development).

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."