• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

R.I.P. Rowdy Roddy Piper

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Real Deal

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
He was an icon of his era, very noticeable wrestler, mic skills, in-ring skills, just a guy meant for the business.

Now dead at 61

What's your best moment from the Hotrod?

He was always one of my favorites. Never won the WWE Championship, yet everybody knows who he is. That speaks volumes to his talent.

Can I admit I enjoyed Hell comes to Frogtown on this thread?

My favorite Piper moment is when him and Goldust had that crazy street fight and the fight went all the way to the freeway on a car chase. That was epic writing and entertainment. Being a kid and all at the time, it felt so real like I couldnt believe what I was watching.

He's had other awesome moments, but never holding the strap was one that I hate, great heels wasn't respected back then when Hogan was running wild. Piper was more deserving than Sgt Slaughter though. Sad.

Wrestling has a serious problem. I've thought for awhile now that they need to reduce the amount of travel and non televised house shows, but that is obviously less money. Guys are dropping like flys once they pass 40 in this industry. The most common issue seems to be heart attacks which is probably a result of drug abuse due to their insane schedule. These guys get really beat up though and put off surgery because they don't want to lose their spot; it's really cut throat.

Wrestling has a serious problem. I've thought for awhile now that they need to reduce the amount of travel and non televised house shows, but that is obviously less money. Guys are dropping like flys once they pass 40 in this industry. The most common issue seems to be heart attacks which is probably a result of drug abuse due to their insane schedule. These guys get really beat up though and put off surgery because they don't want to lose their spot; it's really cut throat.

Drug abuse and steroid abuse are more than likely a major cause of a lot of these guys dying so young. I have to imagine all the bodily trauma they endure doesn't help either. The outcomes are all rigged, but these guys are still hitting the ring or the floor outside of it dozens if not hundreds of times a week.

You see a similar sort of thing with NFL players, albeit more focused on the head injuries.

A little before my time. I was a wrestling fan during the attitude era. I liked him on It's Always Sunny though.

Drug abuse and steroid abuse are more than likely a major cause of a lot of these guys dying so young. I have to imagine all the bodily trauma they endure doesn't help either. The outcomes are all rigged, but these guys are still hitting the ring or the floor outside of it dozens if not hundreds of times a week.

You see a similar sort of thing with NFL players, albeit more focused on the head injuries.

Steroids take a severe toll; particularly on the heart, liver and testicles. This article from Australia notes how even guys in their 20s are dying of heart failure (and possessing tiny, scarred testicles) from heavy use of 'roids.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/youn...ase-linked-to-steroid-use-20140226-33ije.html

Though Piper stopped a long time ago (and was dismissed from the WWE for calling McMahon out on steroid abuse in the 80s and 90s) and became an advocate against their use, there is little doubt that they still did some damage.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."