• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavaliers Offseason Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ban international competition this is out of control.

Ban international competition this is out of control.
i know for nba teams international competition is a distraction for the NBA but for us (outside the US) it's a big thing. National pride and being able to be represented by the best players of one's country builds national unity and patriotism even if its just a game.

i know for nba teams international competition is a distraction for the NBA but for us (outside the US) it's a big thing. National pride and being able to be represented by the best players of one's country builds national unity and patriotism even if its just a game.
Sorry for the confusion, pinoy, but I was being intentionally overdramatic and/or sarcastic. I do not condone ending international competition.

Their really should be something in their contracts to protect teams from this. Dont play, or forfeit % of pay for playing, and forfeit pay based on length of injury. In this case Exum would lose his 2015-2016 pay.

I know youll want to argue and say its not fair to the players, but its become such a huge risk for the franchises.

Their really should be something in their contracts to protect teams from this. Dont play, or forfeit % of pay for playing, and forfeit pay based on length of injury. In this case Exum would lose his 2015-2016 pay.

I know youll want to argue and say its not fair to the players, but its become such a huge risk for the franchises.

Or they could have the Individual Countries pay for players insurance...

Or they could have the Individual Countries pay for players insurance...
Who is paying for insurance doesn't make a player think twice about not playing. The potential of losing an entire years salary will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Who is paying for insurance doesn't make a player think twice about not playing. The potential of losing an entire years salary will.

Yeah but the goal shouldn't be to end these competitions. It would stifle Basketball growing around the world. The goal should be to protect the NBA's investments.

Yeah but the goal shouldn't be to end these competitions. It would stifle Basketball growing around the world. The goal should be to protect the NBA's investments.
You could send over college kids and tbh it would probably level the playing field. Sure it may lose some name recognition, and some guys may miss out on marketing opportunites, but it protects the teams, players and gives everyone a fair shot.

Hell if everyone has a fair shot, that may push kids evewhere to work harder by believing they can compete with anyone around the world.

it is in the interest of the NBA to have a globally competitive brand of basketball. without international competition the likes of nowitzki, yao, exum, etc would not exist and nba would not be as popular as it is today. the fanfare brought by these international players to the nba is immense. can you imagine the value of yao ming opening the doors for china for the nba dream? basketball has been thriving in that region because of yao and the NBA.

injuries happen all the time, from training camp to actual games, even non basketball related stuff; and this should not be the driving force to prevent a player from representing his country.

It shouldn't be on the player's head if he gets hurt. No one is going out there looking to get hurt.

At least the way it works in soccer is that the national soccer associations and FIFA cover insurance costs for players hurt during international play. My guess is the same thing happens with Fiba and the various basketball associations.

So from a team perspective, they aren't on the hook paying for a player injured during international play. Sure, does it suck when something like this or Paul George happens and you lose a player for a year? Yes, but guys also gain valuable experience playing internationally, including Kyrie last summer who was better prepared to play in big time situations the following year because he had that experience already.

International competition usually benefits the low end guys by giving them opportunities to play on a world stage and gain exposure that they likely wouldn't have had otherwise. Other than the Cavs, I love watching international ball. Will be glued pulling for Italy in this year's Eurobasket and Canada and Australia in 2016. I actually dislike our team the most because it is the most stacked lol.

Players Union won't go for banning international competition or restricting it (Players want to play for their countries). Owners would have to push for it and it's just probably not something worth fighting over.

The Exum injury does illustrate why Delly was willing to cave and accept the QO. Cavs were able to use his participation with the Australian national team to their advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-13: "Backup Bash Brothers"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:11: "Clipping Bucks."