• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Official Game of Thrones [A Song of Ice and Fire] Thread (includes spoilers)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
What Abercrombie books would you recommend, and what order?

Well, the Shattered Sea books are independent of all his other works, so you can read those separately. The order they go in is Half a King, Half the World, and Half a War. These are shorter books and fall into the young adult category, although you don't really notice that when you're reading it. The world is still pretty awful and violent, but you see it through the eyes of younger characters.

His other series is The First Law, which includes a trilogy and three independent novels. You can read them in this order (publication order):
The Blade Itself
Before They Are Hanged
Last Argument of Kings
Best Served Cold
The Heroes
Red Country

The first three above are the trilogy and the latter three are the stand alone books. You should absolutely read the trilogy first, though, since there are a lot of characters that carry over.

Supposedly he'll be writing another trilogy set in the world of The First Law. He was supposed to be on a sabbatical from writing when he decided to write the Shattered Sea books.

I don't think it really matters if you read Shattered Sea or The First Law first. Both are really good and they're totally different. Best Served Cold is my favorite Abercrombie book, by the way.

Why do you only want it to be seven seasons? Do you think extending it could be bad for entertainment reasons or because you're just impatient and want to know how it ends?

I could definitely understand the latter.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Because I suspect the real reason for it is that GRRM has figured out that he's going to need 8 books, not seven.

Well, the Shattered Sea books are independent of all his other works, so you can read those separately. The order they go in is Half a King, Half the World, and Half a War. These are shorter books and fall into the young adult category, although you don't really notice that when you're reading it. The world is still pretty awful and violent, but you see it through the eyes of younger characters.

His other series is The First Law, which includes a trilogy and three independent novels. You can read them in this order (publication order):
The Blade Itself
Before They Are Hanged
Last Argument of Kings
Best Served Cold
The Heroes
Red Country

The first three above are the trilogy and the latter three are the stand alone books. You should absolutely read the trilogy first, though, since there are a lot of characters that carry over.

Supposedly he'll be writing another trilogy set in the world of The First Law. He was supposed to be on a sabbatical from writing when he decided to write the Shattered Sea books.

I don't think it really matters if you read Shattered Sea or The First Law first. Both are really good and they're totally different. Best Served Cold is my favorite Abercrombie book, by the way.

Abercrombie is good. I've read the first trilogy, and also Red Country. He's got one specific character that is very cool, but I think he's taken him too far down the Popeye road.

Abercrombie is good. I've read the first trilogy, and also Red Country. He's got one specific character that is very cool, but I think he's taken him too far down the Popeye road.

Red Country was easily my least favorite of his books. Best Served Cold and The Heroes were both really good.

Well, I can't really see him coming out and spoiling things. Also, I fully agree with him that Jon Snow is dead. I just don't think he'll stay dead, so technically he didn't lie if that's the case.

Or he could mean jon snow is dead, meaning that character truly is dead. When you become reborn/resurrected you aren't the same person you once were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk at your local pub.

Or he could mean jon snow is dead, meaning that character truly is dead. When you become reborn/resurrected you aren't the same person you once were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk at your local pub.

Regardless of the semantics, Jon Snow is coming back in one form or another.

http://www.ibtimes.com/game-thrones...-winds-winter-release-date-major-plot-2037366

Amid worldwide pressure to finish the book, Martin explained he’s made it a priority. He also teased a plot twist will drive readers crazy. Well-known for writing shocking events and gruesome deaths, the critically acclaimed author said he isn’t writing a shocker just for the sake of it.

He said he wants the shocking events to be born naturally and organically from the characters and the situations. He also said his shocking twist in “Winds of Winter” is something that can’t be translated into the hit HBO show. “The show has already -- on this particular character -- made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions,” he said.

Any ideas?

Have to imagine it involved a character who the show has clearly and definitively killed or a character that the show has omitted entirely or merged into a composite/new character.

So for obvious examples could include characters like
Jeyne Westerling/Robbs Wife, Selyse, Shireen, Barristan Selmy, Jojen, Pyp, Grenn, Mance, Hizdar, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, etc.
Or even Stannis.

Have to imagine it involved a character who the show has clearly and definitively killed or a character that the show has omitted entirely or merged into a composite/new character.

So for obvious examples could include characters like
Jeyne Westerling/Robbs Wife, Selyse, Shireen, Barristan Selmy, Jojen, Pyp, Grenn, Mance, Hizdar, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, etc.

Syrio Forel lives!

Young Ned has been cast. So that confirms some interesting flashbacks.

Hhmm would they also be casting a lyanna? that's the only remaining casting that would confirm the towet of joy flashback.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."