• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Tristan Thompson

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
This is a serious question: Is it illegal for a media member to promote a specific agenda in exchange for cash compensation? I figure we have at least one attorney I think on these forums.

Starting to wonder if it's possible that Rich Paul may have offered cash/some other incentive in exchange for this media blitz of "pay Tristan the max and be happy about it" that we are getting lately. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if it was discovered to be true.

The Heat are going to be in a similar bind with Hassan Whiteside. I could see him going for max or near max.

This is a serious question: Is it illegal for a media member to promote a specific agenda in exchange for cash compensation? I figure we have at least one attorney I think on these forums.

Starting to wonder if it's possible that Rich Paul may have offered cash/some other incentive in exchange for this media blitz of "pay Tristan the max and be happy about it" that we are getting lately. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if it was discovered to be true.

No way it's that slimy.

Bullshit narrative in exchange for inside info/juicy gossip about the hot team in the league? Most likely.

The Heat are going to be in a similar bind with Hassan Whiteside. I could see him going for max or near max.

No.

FWIW theres not a single member on the Raps board that believes hes worth 80, let alone 94, let alone 100.
Go back to last year and find a Raptors fan that thought DeMarre Carroll was a 16 million per year player.

Teams are not going to sit on money and not spend it. The top talent, just like this year, will go to already elite teams. That is going to leave a ton of teams with between 20-50 million to spend next year just to hit the salary cap.

So whether it's Toronto, Orlando, Portland, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Washington, Phoenix, Indiana, Boston Memphis, there will be a team that values TT, either because they truly value him and aggressively target him or because they're the loser in musical chairs.

The argument, and it's a valid one, is will that value be at 15 million , 17.5 million, 20 million or 22.5 million(Max for a player with 6 years or less in the league)

In all likelihood, a deal gets worked out and this is all just theoretical summertime discsussion fodder.

No way it's that slimy.

Bullshit narrative in exchange for inside info/juicy gossip about the hot team in the league? Most likely.

Why no way?

How much do you think Cleveland sports journalists makes annually?

And then ask yourself how much you think Rich Paul makes.

If I were Rich, and I could bribe a journalist or two to help my clients, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Go back to last year and find a Raptors fan that thought DeMarre Carroll was a 16 million per year player.

That doesn't answer the question MirO.

Can you think of a single franchise that would pay Tristan $20M/yr?

And FWIW, Carroll is making $13.6M this year and $14.2M next year.

This idea that the Cavs need TT or that we are unable to replace what he brings needs to be put to bed. It honestly blows my mind that people consistently talk about his defensive ability on the PnR, but then say nothing about his absolutely god-awful rim protection and help defense. Which, by the way, occurs at way higher rates during games than defending the PnR.

TT is terrible on defense. That is not an overstatement. He was 54th out of 65 Centers in DRPM at -0.48. If you combine PF and C, he was 120th in the league defensively. Players shot 1% better when guarded by TT overall and 3.3% better on shots from 15+ feet at a ridiculous 40.5%. Think about that when people talk about his versatility in the PnR.

TT is an average player, and from what we need from his role, well below average. There will be plenty of guys who can give us what TT does at a fraction of the cost. Would he have gotten more than $8m/yr on the open market after his second year? Because he's basically the same player.

So whether it's Toronto, Orlando, Portland, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Washington, Phoenix, Indiana, Boston Memphis, there will be a team that values TT, either because they truly value him and aggressively target him or because they're the loser in musical chairs.
I'd love to see some periphery team throw 100 at TT in the hope of making the jump to contender status, only to realize a half year in what a monumental blunder they made :chuckle:

What are the 3 to 5 teams chomping at the bit to offer Tristan $20M/yr contracts next season?

When Windy said this, it sounded as though he was talking completely out of his ass. I'm wondering what these teams are and why we should fear their hypothetical offers?

The 76ers could always use another big :chuckle:

There will surely be several bad teams that have millions and millions to spend just to meet the salary floor.
Teams are not obligated to spend money up to the floor. They can just spread the difference out to players on the roster.

Can you think of a single franchise that would pay Tristan $20M/yr?

And FWIW, Carroll is making $13.6M this year and $14.2M next year.

As of today, no there are zero teams in the NBA that would(or even could) offer TT a contract for 20 million average right now.

Next summer, it is absolutely possible. And there are plenty of teams who could be candidates for it. For someone who gets very riled up when people question scenarios and options that are technically possible, I'm surprised you'd ask this question.

I do apologize for being off on Carrols contract. The yearly average is 14.5 million over 4 years.

Point remains, in the summer of 2014, how many NBA fans thought Carrol would sign a 4 year 58 million dollar deal in the summer of 2015. And that was with a 70 million dollar cap. Next summers cap is 89 million.

I don't know how that is not a relatable question to Tristan's situation next summer IF he hits UFA.

There is simply so much more cash and cap space floating around next summer than there are premier FAs and almost every 2016 FA will benefit from it.

I don't mind the attitude of "fine, let Rich Paul and TT test out their belief in the 2016 UFA" I can understand the reasoning why people would say that.

But how can anyone look at the history of NBA UFA and then look at the 89 million cap and first year the TV money hits the owners pockets and act like there's little chance TT will be in high demand and secure a very large contract?

PS. I set this post up in very simple short paragraphs for maximum ease of your oncoming multi quite response/evisceration

I'd love to see some periphery team throw 100 at TT in the hope of making the jump to contender status, only to realize a half year in what a monumental blunder they made :chuckle:

Going to see a ton of 80-100 million contracts next offseason to all sorts of players who are nowhere near all-NBA level. TT will just be one of them.

Going to see a ton of 80-100 million contracts next offseason to all sorts of players who are nowhere near all-NBA level. TT will just be one of them if he actually makes it to UFA in 2016

Yeah, and I know Windy can do stuff like that sometimes, but he wasn't the only one to mention the market for TT next summer. Haynes, Mike Prada, McTen, and even Pluto did in his piece. It's hard to project for sure.

What are the 3 to 5 teams chomping at the bit to offer Tristan $20M/yr contracts next season?

When Windy said this, it sounded as though he was talking completely out of his ass. I'm wondering what these teams are and why we should fear their hypothetical offers?

You had vitriol for Kyrie on posts that went well beyond health.

As far as TT, part of improving is recognizing what you do best and what your team needs you to do and then specializing in that before you expand to less comfortable areas. So Tristan focusing on 3 ft and in last year was fine by me. He improved in that capacity and not just because of lobs. Especially in the last quarter of the season and the playoffs, his finishing around the rim just looked better than in years past. That is crucial for him because that is where he lives and makes the most impact. Again, not an argument for what he should or shouldn't get paid, just comments on the player.

This post is literally a bunch of nothingness that has little to do with tangible improvement.

What has he improved upon? Rebounds as a backup on a championship level team? You're talking about recognizing things but Mathew Dellavedova recognizes things too and, in fact, should be thanked for Tristan's improvement on baskets within 2 ft considering he hooked him up with about as many lobs within 2 ft than LeBron James himself. Delly is making what amounts to less than the vet minimum.

You can skirt the entire money situation all you want and white knight for TT... but it literally doesn't make any sense.

We're here to talk about the future of the Cavs organization as a whole and their finances yet you're talking about recognition?

Apparently, he doesn't recognize that his offensive game is actually much worse than years previous so I don't even know if that's a valid argument.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-15: "Cavs Survive and Advance"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:15: Cavs Survive and Advance